DODGE HELLCAT CRANKSHAFT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bam bam, Oct 2, 2015.

1. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why would Dodge do this no key way on the crank snout, just press fit with a diamond washer for some kind of friction retention .was this to save a machining step no broached key way slot on the balancer. I for the life of me can't see how this ever got past engineering,this is a disaster waiting to happen,can anyone shed some light on this.WHY Why on earth would Dodge do this. possibly third year engineering student new to the srt team ? what do you think.
    Bam Bam

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i was just wondering is dodge the only one doing this.?
    Bam

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would like to know who had the bright idea of eliminating the key way from the crank snout and balancer, this was a stupid idea that we are going to have to live with for years.
    You have a balancer that turns a supercharger and it takes 80 horse power to do that and not to mention all the other accessories. And some one says hey lets leave out the key way WTF
    were they thinking about (DUH) this Guy or Gal is definitely not a Drag Racer, whether we like it or not this is the weak link, no wonder Dodge put the one way drive pulley on the Supercharger probably to keep from spinning the balancer on the crank snout.
    As the old saying goes just enough is never a enough and to much is just right. Bam Bam

Hey Dodge just fix it,start putting the key way back in how much could it cost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. White Trash

White Trash BMF Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC National Vice Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BB your Barking up the wrong Tree !!
    Dodge is not doing anything.
    Its a very small % of a issue

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you pin it and then replace or change to a aftermarket Balancer how do you match up the holes you have already drilled it to the crank?. and if you use the ATI drill jig were the pins go in from the side instead of the front, how do you get the pins out, do you have to re drill it each time.? just a thought.
    Bam Bam

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Robert7

Robert7 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When you pull the pinned pulley off, the pin will come out. If you need to pin a new pulley, mount the new pulley on a piece of drilled and tapped round stock, and then drill it for a pin using the same jig used to pin the crank. You can then install it on your pinned crank.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you leave the motor stock it shouldn't be a problem according to FCA but if you tune or do pulley swaps it may become an issue

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. der Arzt

der Arzt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder if the engineers figured that given the coefficient of friction of the diamond material, its hardness, and the clamp load, that the capacity for torsional load is actually greater than a pin or snout key.

Nevertheless, I'd have felt better with some form of crank key or pin, if for no other reason, than to inspire more confidence.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Der Arzt you are right I would have felt much better with a key way for the harmonic balancer also, how many 440 or 426 Hemi or 454 rat motors have you ever heard that sheared the key off on the balancer.
    I never heard of one and they all have a key way on the Crank to Lock the balancer in place.
    Bam Bam

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 6.2L as much as we want it to be another 6.1L that can be completely modded isn't that. It's a engine that is meant to be bought and kept as is. Dodge fined tuned this 707HP to always be 707HP and satisfy everyones needs. Not be worried about heat, durability or etc, just to work. I know the parts market for this engine will grow big, but it's going to take time and on-top of which i don't expect much without sacrificing the key terms i said above.

11. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I so hope you're wrong. While I love my car and it's 707 hp, I'm always looking for more!
    I seem to remember dodge saying this car was for the 1% who do race and make changes to their car.
    I'm eagerly awaiting (and assisting, wherever possible) the aftermarkets impact on performance.
    From what I know and have heard, this engine seems so be over engineered in some aspects and lacking in others. I, for one, am willing to make improvements where necessary and enjoy the fruits of dodges not politically correct, beautiful interpretation of a grocery getter everyday car!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    done on purpose to keep modifications at an absolute minimum--after all, they are providing a warranty on a 707 hp unit for the masses.. modify away--just accept the loss of the warranty!

13. Lou

Lou SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Perhaps it was a stress concentration question? Maybe they thought any change to the induction hardened surface would be a weakening of the crank nose? Remember that model T ford axles only had a taper to hold the wheels and drums on. No key.
    Just a thought.
    I heard Forsa has gotten 1000 hp from the Hellcat engine and one mod was a front pulley change. The lack of a key wasn't insurmountable.

the lack of a key didn't seem to be insurmountabl

14. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is a you tube video where they are talking to the Engineering team on the Hellcat and they asked them directly what will this engine do once the aftermarket gets a hold of it... they responded 4 figure HP numbers. I will agree it does seem strange that they didn't put a key in the crank as they all know what a certain segment of car owners will do with this car.

15. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    pos

can you post that video i would like to see it. Bam Bam