Dodge Viper to die after 2017 model year

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mo-par!, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Mo-par!

Mo-par! Bone Stock Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It has been discussed; now its on the wire. Reserve your 2017 25th Anniversary Viper now!

Dodge Viper to die after 2017 model year

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Humm, I thought 2016 was the last year.

3. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They will come back on a Italian chassis and look completely different trust me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sad news...I think if Dodge had built the Viper to compete with the full line of Corvettes sales would have been much better...By this I mean a Viper with auto trans option...maybe an 8 cyl with 10 cyl option among other things..

Let the dealer "market adjustments" begin...:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Not offering an A8 in the Viper is obviously failing to attempt to increase market share. And that's not to mention a Hellcat motor option.

6. zerokiller

zerokiller VIP Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Already got my 2016 ACR-X.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here are two articles from Allpar.com:

www.allpar.com/news/2016/06/confirmed-new-special-edition-vipers-to-be-the-last-32000
    "To celebrate 25 years of the Dodge Viper, the company will produce:
    • The Viper 1:28 ACR, celebrating its track record at the Laguna Seca Raceway, will be black with red ACR stripes.
    • The Viper GTS-R Commemorative Edition ACR, painted white with a blue stripe, to recognize the highly successful racing cars.
    • The Viper Snakeskin Edition GTC, in snakeskin green with a custom snakeskin-patterned SRT stripe.
    • The Vooodoo 2 ACR, in black, has a graphic metallic ACR driver’s stripe with a red tracer outline.
    • The Viper Dodge Dealer Edition ACR is a special edition for specific Dodge dealers."

www.allpar.com/news/2016/06/photos-the-viper-specials-32006

[​IMG]

8. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The clown shoe finally bites the dust

:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    6'2 guys well built fit better and can have two hellcats for the price of one

10. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad they never watered down Viper with a V8 or automatic. A Viper with either of those isn't a Viper at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I imagine we'll be getting a new Viper replacement in the future with a chassis shared with our Italian friends and an engine following the footsteps of the Ford GT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Owning my Gen V Viper now for about 3 weeks one thing I have learned is that nobody.....and I mean nobody at all knows what kind if car it is.

I am constantly getting stopped and people asking what kind of car it is. I could here some people at a stop light even arguing if it was a Maserati or something else.

The Viper doesn't need the Hellcat motor. The all motor V10 pulls so hard from 4k all the way to redline and weighing almost 1000 lbs less than the Hellcat and having an almost 50/50 weight split and 355 tires the car just hooks up and goes.

Owning both the Hellcat and the Viper the are both amazing cars with tons of power. The Hellcat has it's advantages and the Viper has its own advantages as well. But at the end of the day the Viper is still the halo car for Dodge but the Hellcats are right behind them and the gap isn't very much at all if any to be truely honest. You can make a fair argument that both are halo cars for the company. If you're basing which car is better by hp ratings alone there is so much that needs looked at in making that decision.

Now what I will agree on is they probably needed an auto option to help sales. I am a hard core 6 speed guy. I will not buy an automatic until the day comes that manual options are no longer even offered (which sadly will be very soon). But I can understand appeal of the new high tech duel dry clutch automatics. I know a good amount of people who took the Viper out of the running just due to not having the auto option.

And fyi I am 6'4" and I fit fine in the Viper. Admittedly I did install a seat lowering kit but after that it's perfect.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SSGSNAKE

SSGSNAKE Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The viper is still the best, The hellcat is fun but is a big car, Lucky I have both, The viper is a great track car and if you are looking for a car that handles its the one, I have not had much time in the hellcat just getting broken in, But so far if I had a choice and had to sell one I think it would be the hellcat. And you do not see many vipers on the roads, Seems like there are lots of hellcats on the rd. I see at least one or two everyday. Lucky if you see a viper on the Rd once a month up our way.

14. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The hellcats are simple.
    Over powered, small tire'd hot rods. Just squirmy, sliding, balls to the wall, white knuckle fun.

It's the car you built when you were younger, or at least wanted to build. A ton of horsepower, big brakes, and the ability to blow the tires away when you wanted.

The viper isn't a hellcat. It started as a truck motored v-10 monstrosity. Big tires, big motor, fun for two. It progressed and refined. Getting killed off at a peak. Good for them.

I'll keep my hellcat, but that's because I'm a little kid inside, and like big horsepower and little tires.....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gto19

gto19 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You see one or two everyday ?? What city is this ?

• Agree Agree x 1