Does anyone know how to get to cig lighter in the Charger?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by JonWrong, Jun 24, 2015.

1. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I want to tap the 12v key on power on the cig lighter in my charger hellcat for a radar detector. Does anyone know how to get at it? I did not want to start trying to pry things apart without asking for a little help.

Thanks!

2. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, well I can't wait forever with no radar detector. I initially installed my radar detector with the cable running down the driver's side A pillar. I used the OBDII port to power it b/c it used data from the car to auto mute below a certain speed. Apparently, OBDII devices are known to wake up the ECU on LX chassis cars and kill the battery. And that is what happened to me.

So, I know there is keyed 12v and ground going to the rearview, but there is a thread on this. It's almost impossible to remove that trim without marring/scratching it. I found the connect harness in the A pillar that goes to the mirror and tested each wire. Pink (pin 1) is 12v with key on, and black is ground (all the time). Since the detector used a 2 amp fuse, I spliced in there and soldered the joints. If I ever need to run more 12v keys sources, I will use that as a signal wire to trip a relay.

Pics below. Cig light info may still be helpful in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the post. I will be installing mine in the same spot.