Does anyone know the absolute WIDEST wheel/tire we can use?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Bandit, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've read through a bunch of threads about this (I always search before making a new post), but nothing definitive on this specific request. Here's what I'm after....

I'm thinking of buying a set of two factory wheels for the rear and having them widened. I doubt we can go as wide as a Z06 (13.5" wide) but its clear that our wheels/tires are not wide enough to give us proper traction.

I honestly don't know the math to getting it right with the width and offset and whatever else there is. I just know I want to put as much meat back there as I can, without 3" of tire sticking out the sides like a kid in a late 70's Camaro or something.

The reasons for doing this are two-fold:

1) The obvious, more traction

2) More traction without *needing* to run DR's on the street. A competent performance tire with enough of a contact patch can give us what we need and give us more miles till replacement than a DR will.

2. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On other discussions - using stock wheels the answer is 305/40/20.

Someone please verify

3. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Talk to DGatzby he made a thread a while back that stated you could run 315's with just a rim swap and some minor wheel well modification.

4. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh and his offset wasn't so bad that he had lots of wheel sticking out past the lip if I remember his pics right.

5. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    315's are what I want to run. I had some on a twin turbo Mustang. 13" wide. Looked awesome from behind.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Milspec

Milspec Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My issue would be having to swap rims...for that reason I would stick to a "305 / 35 / 20". A "305 / 40 / 20" would be too tall, could be wrong though. Now unless you spend a TON of money "usually" stock rims out preform anything your putting on, probably lighter too. I feel like every time I changed rims on my other cars I compromised performance. Would be nice if these cars started coming with 10/11 inch rims. Remember now these guys at SRT set the whole car up based around a certain size and weight wheel I wouldn't want to mess with it to much. A 305 Sticky Max Performance Summer Tire should be enough to tame the backend.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  7. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Triumph forged wheels are lighter than stock 20x10.5" rear with 27mm offset running 315/35/20 NT05R DR these rims are perfect fit for me and my HC is lowered 1" image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Fionn MacCumhaill

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yea Billet Hellcat your set up is nice but it is the $1200 per rim, I think that is how much it was, that made that route not feasible for me. I love the look and the fact it fits the 315's but at $2500 for just the rear two rims, I can't do it. Still super nice looking though.

9. Billet Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just ordered a set of 18x10.5 to match from Bismarck this morning to run as a drag only set hoping for around 20lbs each. Your right they are not cheep but neither was the HC but you do get what you pay for most monoblocs sell for 6-8k for a set :eek:

10. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wish they made 18" draglites that fit

11. Milspec

Milspec Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well that's exactly what I was saying in my post I didn't say it wasn't possible just it would be extremely expensive and really at the end of the day for most of us 6k would be better spent on something other than rims. I feel as though for half that even less you could have changed the tires to 305 and stuck with stock rims and gotten almost the same Preformance as the 6k upgrade. However if I had the money of corse I would change them and do what you did so right on! I think most people should stick with stock though unless there going to spend NORTH of 5k on something else.

12. Billet Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Triumph is 4-5k for a set most large manufactures are 6-8k but I understand it is a lot of $$$$ but so was the car. If I was on a budget I would have just keeped the stock wheels but in the end the wheels and tires I have was offset by selling the stock set for 4k so only cost 1k out of pocket ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got weld 17x10" rims with 6.7 backspace and 30mm offset. They needed new sway bar end links to clear but they give me the option to run either Hoosier slicks or Mickey Thompson drag radials. This is the only rim I found with the correct bolt pattern for the hellcat that would allow slicks.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OzHellcat

OzHellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Forgive my ignorance, I had to look up the meanings of the tyre sizes. (Yes we spell it "tyre" in Australia and the UK).

Anyway, when it is recommended to use 305 tyres, these will fit onto the wheels that came with the car?

15. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I say Billet Hellcat has the most practicable recommendation. If you want a little wider tire it is the Pirelli but it is not worth it. You should use a 20mm backset and that makes its edge questionable on the outside. Any closer and it will peel through the front rib of the rears and with good corners will barely get the steel just enough to get the paint. They say those Nittos hook well. They fit better and with the 10.5" rim that is about it for our car with the 25mm backset and lowered, that is just about it. See his pictures.