Does Your Bumper have dips where the grill/fascia is? Read Here.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by CubeMan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My hellcat suffers from an issue that a few dozen hellcat owners have reported. Dips in-between the fascia and the front bumper cover. Mine has two of these gaps one on each side of the bumper that in this photo below doesn't look too bad, but is extremely noticable at car shows or walking around.

[​IMG]

Now, Chrysler Immediately approved a replacement bumper but unfortunately its been a long process that maybe tomorrow ill pick up my car pending a fix.

Removing the bumper the first time i dropped the car off they wanted to see if they could fix it without replacement, As it turned out they couldn't and needed to order not only a bumper but a front grill because it appeared to be hot glued together. Ordering the parts was two weeks out.

Fast forward a few more weeks to only hours ago i visited the shop after they said they had an issue with the new bumper and grill. It turns out that the hot glue literally makes the bumper and grill line up correctly, The new bumper and grill with just the clips attached had separations across the entire section of the bumper.

My original bumper has all the clips in but 1, If you push that one in the gap above moves to a different section due to the bumper warping. So the factory literally hot glued it in place without the clip because it looked better that way compared to it being clipped in.

The body shop is going to attempt to hot glue the original bumper like it was from the factory but do a better job so that the gaps are not showing. Chrysler recommendation of a new bumper will not fix the issue on it's own (It needs to be hotglued properly.)

At the end of this, I'm seriously disappointed in this product. They can't even get moldings right in 2015.

Overall time since first dropped off: over 2 months

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bumper ain't worth a darn,sell the car!
    Cheers;
    Far

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Q5Dart

Q5Dart Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is exactly the same. Cannot believe it's hot glued together

4. torpedovegas21

torpedovegas21 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This was mine, except it is more under the front headlights. Dealer body shop said they could order another one but it may look the same if not worse because of the molding of the plastic and what not. Not a huge deal but it's under warranty so I could get it fixed anytime.

2015-11-11 12.54.38.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yeah man the more you mess with something sometimes worse.. good call.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is the same way,, I'm going to live with it,, it don't look real bad, and I don't like the idea of them changing out my bumper cover. I guess just live with the lesser of the two..maybe they will have a correct fix in the future.it's an open claim through srt, so they are aware of this issue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Townie

Townie Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The horror, the horror.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not many people see the front end of my car....at best, they see it in their rear-view mirror....just before they see my tail lights disappear in front of them...

Haha!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is exactly why my first marriage failed.

I married Denise Milani before I had the displeasure of seeing her feet. Because of her one webbed toe, I had to end it.

I couldn't bear to lie in bed next to a **** ing monster.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 5
  10. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's a simple explanation for this so here's an abbreviated Physics 101 course:

1. Every known material whether it be a pure element or a compound expands when heated and contracts when cooled (the molecules get further apart or closer together).

2. Every known material has it's own unique properties when it comes to expansion and contraction therefore different materials expand and contract at different rates (speeds), degrees (amounts) and temperatures.

3. The material used for the headlight bezel / grill is hard / stiff and not the same as the bumper fascia material which is soft / pliable. (I'm not sure what the exact chemical names of the two materials are but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there is a big difference between the two).

4. Because of the different chemical properties of the bezel and the fascia, they are going to expand and contract at different rates and different amounts. If there were a 100% bond between the bezel and the fascia in all areas of contact: A. Either the adhesive would pull away from the fascia and bezel, B. The fascia and or bezel or both would buckle and eventually shear due to the different forces.

5. The ONLY way in which to avoid the issue brought up by the OP would be to make the bumper fascia and headlight bezel out of the same material and all in one piece.

6. Likely this is not a new problem and I'll bet it it occurs in most, if not all cars that use a similar design (which many do). No doubt FCA / SRT engineers were (are) aware of this in using this design which seems to offer the best aesthetics and cost effective manufacturing process. (A one piece design would likely have to use the soft, pliable bumper fascia material and the paint process would be much more complicated and expensive among many other issues that I won't go in to!) Unless one can change the laws of nature, it seems to be the best option to use this "flexible" "hybrid" design to avoid even worse problems. See the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics. (This will be the argument used in court if this issue ever goes that far!)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cenziocars

Cenziocars Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The good ole: coefficient of expansion rule of materials !

12. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes mine looks like that too