Doing An Upper Pulley Swap?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by molassesbros, Mar 1, 2016.

1. molassesbros

molassesbros Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last weekend I helped my friend put a Metco 2.85 upper pulley on his friends 15 Hellcat, and I ran into an issue and wanted to give anybody else doing this a heads up.

I wasn't around when he got the snout off, but it looked like he pulled a piece of trim off that goes around the windshield wipers to get access to the rear blower bolts. Loosened the blower and propped it up to get to the lower snout bolts. He left the blower asssembly on the car and brought me the snout along with the new pulley and the 15/16" tool.

Next, to get that rubber plug off the front of the stock pulley, I poked a hole in the center of it and blew air in it. I have 175 psi in my air lines, so it flew off pretty easily. I suppose you could try prying it off at the center, too. I tried to pry at the edge and couldnt get anything under the edge.

Here's where it sarted to go wrong. Not wanting to make a fixture with 8 holes to hold the drive flange, I put a 6" long piece of 3/8" x 2" aluminum bar in my vise to hold against 2 of the drive pins. I had it sticking out above the jaws about 3/4". Then put the 15/16" hex tool from Metco in a socket on my air impact wrench and went to town. All that happened was it spun the drive flange on the shaft and loosened the 10mm bolt holding it on.

I tried it a few times with other, bigger impact guns to try and shock it, but nothing worked. I finally wound up putting 2 big tack welds with my TIG to hold the flange onto the shaft. Then it came off instantly. Apparently the press fit on this drive flange wasn't quite tight enough to hold.

So, hope this helps if someone comes across the same issue

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm wondering if the use of the impact gun, and the quick "shock", is what caused your problem. I think everyone else, including myself, has done this by hand with a breaker bar. Firm, STEADY, pressure and it comes right off...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. molassesbros

molassesbros Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good point. I'll keep that in mind for the next one. Thanks

4. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the exact issue I had as well.

Was told to not use an impact gun, that it would spin the shaft, but my previous experience told me the impact gun would shock the bolt and get it to loosen up.

It didn't, it ended up doing what happened to you. I just removed the bolt from the backside, torqued it in there really tight with blue loctite, and then used hand tools on the front nut and it came off.
    I wouldn't have been comfortable welding any extra weight due to the speed the pulley turns.