DR set up question

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Hemibuck, May 15, 2016.

1. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey everyone I'm thinking about getting a separate set of rear wheels and tires just for drag racing. What do you guys recommend? 18" wheels? 305's? I'm not going to be doing a lot of runs just a few but I wanna hook up better when I do go. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to give us an idea of your budget? Even though you will be going occasionally, do you seriously race and plan on dead hooking? Is the ultimate safety important to you? Do you want them to match your OEM wheels? Are you willing to install shorter sway bar links? Will you do the wheel tub mod if necessary?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Currently I have a set of 18x10 that I had for my Magnum. Not sure if they will fit or not. But I'm not going to swap sway bars or tub it. Just wanna hook up a little better and not burn up my daily tires. They don't need to match the OEM that doesn't matter to me. Dead hooking would be nice but I'm sure I need to swap some things out to keep the car safe and I'm not there yet. Just wanted to show what the car is truly capable of at the track with a stock set up. I wanna get the advertised 10.9 with a DR set up. I have a great local tire shop I was just wondering what the most popular set up people are running. Thanks.

4. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got the 18" wheels and MT305's, as that is what several other people are using. They seem to work fine.

5. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome thanks!

6. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The reason I asked is because some Guys want to do better but aren't that serious. And THEN they they go and lay down a shameful pass and wonder why. You do not need to change the sway bar. You only have to put on shorter sway bar end links. HHP has them for $85. If your current wheels are +20 or less they should go right on. The Bravados are18X10 +20 and they are right on the edge of clearing the sway bar. You can get around this by jacking the car up on the lower control arm and keeping the suspension compressed while changing out the wheels. But this is a "track only" setup. Because just going in steep driveways will top out your rear suspension rubbing the wheel on the sway bar if only momentary.
    If you plan on doing a 10.9 then you need to be serious and you will need DA of < 1000ft. You will also need Mickey Thomson tires. If running Nottos you are going to struggle at a marginal track, but can get it done if you know what you are doing.

ALso: Make sure your shock control wires are slid inward and do not rub on the wheels and do the wheel tub mod I posted on here. It is simple and will never be noticed by anyone.

Wheel Tub Mod for Drag Radials