Drag Coefficient of Hellcat?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by VanishingPoint, Apr 16, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drag Coefficient of Hellcat?

Does anyone have the Cd of the Challenger & Charger?

I believe the Charger is better due to higher top speed, but was curious of how the Challenger measures with the competition (Shelby, Camaro, Corvette, etc.).

Anyone have a rough idea if lowering the car will improve it?

EDIT Found it: Charger Cd is .35, Challenger is 12% more at about .39/.40 (which kind of sucks)?

2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat Unveiled - Most Powerful Sedan in the World

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, but the Charger is about 200lbs heaver

3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the challenger is like driving a wall, the charger is less of a wall

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Challenger looks cooler....challenger wins on the number of panties dropped/day

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's in the Charger reveal video along with all the promises and other BS

6. The Max

The Max Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That article is from before the Hellcats were even released.

From SRT - Challenger - .380 cd and Frontal area 25.9 sq. ft

Charger - .330 cd. Can't find frontal sq. ft

Read somewhere that regular Charger is .290cd

As you stated Charger Hellcat is 12% more aerodynamic

7. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whether you're using the Black Key or the Red Key, if you depress the accelerator pedal even just a little, that wall disappears...magiacally!! I wouldn't worry about the drag coefficient with this car!

8. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let's be realistic here, if you're interested in that last stat neither car is great, especially for the money.

9. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So far the challengers have been slightly faster, maybe due to the limited number of chargers built and willing to race them.

10. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Cd really shines in the deep digits where drag becomes like, exponential and stuff :D.

11. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    11.6% better drag coefficient (to be exact) for the Charger.

Charger has about 4-5 mph higher top speed due to that, but as noted Challenger is about 126 lbs lighter in with same transmissions.
    If Charger has optional sunroof, that would add about 40 lbs more, and on the roof (which is worst place possible).
    So Challenger will be quicker out of the hole and continue to pull a tiny bit for the first 100+ mph (as the small extra drag on the Challenger really won't offset it's lighter weight until triple digit speeds).
    Then once the drag starts to kick in as speeds climb the Charger would slowly start to chip away at the Challengers lead.

The question is really, on average how long would it take the Charger to actually catch and pull up alongside the Challenger? I'm guessing probably not until the cars were doing 150+ mph. As the Charger may start to chip away at the Challengers lead when they are passing 100 mph, but the Challenger would be a good car length or so ahead and it would take the next 50 mph before the Charger inched it's way back using it's better drag coefficient to get there.
    In a race from 100-180 mph the Charger would win, but unless you live in Germany, those races are not really relevant.
    In the races most of us do in the United States (0-60 runs aka: stop light grand prix, or 1/4 mile drags, street or strip) the Challenger has the advantage (though lets be honest, it's relatively small, and would come down to driver. But if all is equal, you can't ignore 125-165 lbs weight advantage for the Challenger, lighter weight means quicker out of the gate). In rolling runs of say 40-120, I'd still give a slight advantage to the Challenger. In the 60-130 runs, it would probably be about dead even, as the Challengers would have the initial advantage, but the Chargers would have the advantage in the last few seconds.

If you are looking for the faster of the two for drag race reasons, you gotta go Challenger.
    But again, it's not enough difference to really worry about. A strong running Charger will equal or slightly beat a weaker running Challenger in the 1/4
    But as someone else has said, there is no denying the Challenger looks cooler to most people, though I do like the looks of the Charger too (and it was the Charger that I was first interested in getting).
    Just get the one that fits you best.
    If you need back seat room, you go Charger, that's a no brainer. Again, if you are looking for a drag car, go Challenger.
    If not, then choose on which you think looks best.

12. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My reply... If you're NOT interested in that stat then get your T numbers checked:p

13. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most people haven't seen a Charger Hellcat in person. I was all about the Challenger but I must say the Charger is much more striking in person than in photos. It's a pretty close call IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My statement still stands.

15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Don't get me wrong, the Charger is a good looking car, especially in Hellcat form.
    But fact of the matter, MOST cars in coupe ( 2 door) form are better looking than their sedan counterparts.
    There is just something cooler looking about a 2 door car. Iconic sports cars and pony cars are 2 doors and
    and maybe it's that fact, but for some reason, a 2 door car just looks better than the 4 door. Maybe it's the "family car" look that 4 door cars instantly instill in people's minds, I don't know.
    But weather it be Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Bentley, whatever, their 2 door cars just look better than their 4 door cars. The domestic and less exotic cars seem to be the same way. A Mustang looks better than the Fusion. A 2 door CTS-V looks better than the 4 door.

Again, not saying the Charger is an ugly car, it is good looking, but for me, and I'm sure the vast majority, the 2 door Challenger would be the better looking/cooler looking car.