drag radials at NHRA tracks

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by Rouf, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good morning from Canada. I'm taking delivery of my Hellcat Challenger June 15, cant wait!
    Does everyone on this forum know that NHRA is going to call your Hellcat "modified" if you run drag radials at their tracks? That means you will need the required safety equipment, roll bar etc if you want to run a drag radial on your Hellcat at a NHRA track. I've already checked with NHRA tech in California as well as my division 6 tech director, both are telling me the same thing. Is anyone else aware of this?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There have been a few post here on this topic, as long as the DR's are DOT they are considered replacement tires, the issue has more to do with what the track than the NHRA which is very clear on what it accepts as factory stock..
    TC

3. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check again with your tech director, they are going to call your Cat modified if you run a drag radial

4. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've checked with the head tech in California as well as the division 6 guy. Their stance is if a manufacture would not offer it as a factory tire its gonna be considered modified.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's why all the great racing takes place on the East coast,:D your div 6 guy doesn't know the rules so take a set to him and have him try and explain them to you and please video the conversation so we can put it on Utube for a laugh.
    TC

6. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can make fun of me but it doesn't change the facts. You may be getting away with it for now but that won't last. I'm with you guys i want to run drag radials but its not gonna happen out here unless the rules change.

7. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tracks can set their own rules, but if its a DOT approved it should be considered a replacement or allowed. Now a straight up racing slick that is for track use only is different story.

Key word is DOT approved, you did not mention in the post you just said Drag radial

8. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rouf, I was not making fun of you but serious about putting the div 6 guy on the hot seat, it's obvious he does not know the rule.
    TC

9. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Better yet he most likely doesn't know what a hellcat even is,:eek:

TC

10. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took no offence. I wish I was wrong, i've already went to the head of division 6 as well as the head office in California. DOT or not they are calling a DOT drag radial a modification because that is a tire an auto manufacture would not offer and don't offer any where on the planet. I've started this thread because i want to run a drag radial but i'm not gonna be allowed because of the NHRA rules. I want help so please prove me wrong so i can stick it in their face.

11. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drive in with a set of MT Street II DR's and say nothing, I bet tech will not say a thing.....

TC

12. Rouf

Rouf Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe, but I don't want to chance it and have a set of DR's that I can't use. Would sure like to know what your division tech guy has to say, maybe I should email him.

13. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rouf
    Have you had this same conversation with a IHRA person, they have tracks also in your area..

On the East coast we have been running with no issues and the tracks in the tri state area are very strict because of some law suits in the last few years, No issue with ATCO, Englishtown,Maple Grove,Cecil, VMP,MIR
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

Most test and tune nights tech is pay your money and they write a number on your windshield. Most places don't even look for a helmet. Most tracks love the hype of a Hellcat racing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As Paul just mentioned, it's a track decision on what they will allow, as far as the MT Street II's they can be used for daily driving if you want so they are not a waste of money..

Dave Mohn, Director
    2420 Gehman Lane Suite 200
    Lancaster, PA 17602
    Ph: (717) 584-1200
    Fax (717) 584-1206
    dmohn@nhra.com