SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Drag street tires.

27K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  HellScoot 
#1 ·
Hey friends
I wanna put drag / street tires on my new hellcat when it arrives.
Does anyone know what would be the widest tires u can put
On the 20" wheel.
I would like to go wider in the backend.
Would I have to buy new wheels to go for a wider tire ?
If so , what would you guys advise ?
Thank u !
Mark

#3 ·
Hey friends
I wanna put drag / street tires on my new hellcat when it arrives.
Does anyone know what would be the widest tires u can put
On the 20" wheel.
I would like to go wider in the backend.
Would I have to buy new wheels to go for a wider tire ?
If so , what would you guys advise ?
Thank u !
Mark
There is a thread with lots of info.
Hellcat rubber SRT Hellcat Forum

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Hey, for the last six month, or maybe Five, I have heard and watch, and read everything there is about the hellcat, that's why I paid 65K for my car so I could have a fast car..I'm sure its fast but, my thoughts, I thought it would be more kick you back in the seat fast, It may have something to do with tires. Please don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the car, but I will being doing some Mods to it, Tires, and some ecm stuff,,Pulley, I will not be changing the supercharger, or going into the engine, Wife will put me out if I spend to much on the car,, But I'm like others, can leave stock..

#25 ·
Well I think I may be one of the first cat owners to switch out tire and rims... I wanted 315/35-20 all around ...they were to wide in the front...BUT just barely...Here's what I put on .BF Goodrich 315/35-20 g-Force Rival on rear....they fit great and do not stick out of the wheel well. I bought 4 so I am saving the other 2 for when these wear out. I mounted them on a set of American Racing Torq-Thrust M Chrome Plated AR 605 at this time I am using the stock tires up front on the rims THERE IS NOOOOO issue with the Calipers the way the rims are designed they fit like a glove .... and yes they hook up much better!!! I want to put on the same tires up front but here is the problem...285/35-20 will work but the height is 28.7 for the 315 in back but would be 27.9 in front !!! Any thought cat owners a tire nuts... Pictures will be posted in a day or so ...But it looks MEAN!!

#32 ·
I'm looking for some weight reduction and traction for the track next summer. Before I look for any more power got to solve traction issues and find some ways to peel some weight off car.
I took the stock tire/wheel off and weight it, surprisingly it weight 65#, tire weights 35#. So wheel is 30#. You're gona spend a lot of $$$ to find a wheel 10# lighter! Front brakes need to be replaced to run a smaller/lighter front wheel pkg. Looks like the spindle is unique as well? There is some weight up front if you put a smaller brake pkg with a 17/18" wheel and tire pkg,
Streetable front tire Min 25#, wheel 20#, plus lighter brake pkg could be total of 30# + each side. In the rear 18x10 with 305 45 18 MT.
Bottom line is it worth $4K for 60# up front and maybe 30# in the rear? That's a little over a tenth on paper.
Plus you can just buy a MT 305 35 20 that works on a 10" wheel for a whole lot less.

I'm thinking I see how fast it goes with the latter and go from there. Probably more to be saved replacing the seats and deleting the rear.

#41 ·
Well I think I may be one of the first cat owners to switch out tire and rims... I wanted 315/35-20 all around ...they were to wide in the front...BUT just barely...Here's what I put on .BF Goodrich 315/35-20 g-Force Rival on rear....they fit great and do not stick out of the wheel well. I bought 4 so I am saving the other 2 for when these wear out. I mounted them on a set of American Racing Torq-Thrust M Chrome Plated AR 605 at this time I am using the stock tires up front on the rims THERE IS NOOOOO issue with the Calipers the way the rims are designed they fit like a glove .... and yes they hook up much better!!! I want to put on the same tires up front but here is the problem...285/35-20 will work but the height is 28.7 for the 315 in back but would be 27.9 in front !!! Any thought cat owners a tire nuts... Pictures will be posted in a day or so ...But it looks MEAN!!
Hey Whadat1970, got any pics yet?

#43 ·
Hey fast cat ,
Thank you for the very helpful Info!!
Many combinations with wheels and tires out there.
Switching to different wheel sizes can alter the speedo. I know this did with the old cars. Not sure about the new ones.
All the post
I am reading about
Stock tires , everyone has the same issue , can't hook up !
It's
Fun to burn tires at will but when you need to hook up and get all that power to the ground , that's what really counts.
Please post some pics if
Your car and wheels.
I bet it rocks !!!
Thank you for sharing !

#42 ·
The
At least you got to be in one and see it live! iI hadn't seen one or driven anything even close before my Hellbaby arrived!! they are so darn nice. I know people are getting frustrated and talking about going to another brand, but for me, there is nothing else that even compares...it isn't just about the horsepower for me, it is the whole package. It's an everyday car that kicks serious a$$ and I can take 3 friends with me comfortably for a night out! Not many muscle cars can do that...Plus, the looks are so darn beast and sexy!!! I'm one of "those people" that parks my car, starts to walk away and then turns back just to look at my sexy car and smile!! I do it everyday and I don't see it getting old anytime soon! View attachment 1759
i bet you get the giggles when you drive it everyday too!

#44 ·
Mark, the widest tire you can put on the stock 20"x9.5" rim is 305/40R20 if you want to step up to the 315/40R20 you will need to have a minimum rim size of 10.5", a rim to narrow for the tire puts extra stress on the side walls and can cause tire damage or a blowout , go all out get some 17X12 rims and go with the 345 just watch for the profile to get about the same diameter, and don't put anyone in the back seat that weighs 400lbs cause you'll get a lot of tire rub, a smaller diameter tire will change the gear ratio and you'll probably have to start out in a higher gear to keep from burning the tires off, good luck
I drag race a stock appearing car and had to make up custom spacers to limit the body from coming down in contact with the chrome trim ring and would change them as to how hard I had to launch the car, and from side to side is also different widths, I could protect the chrome trim wheel well ring from being partially removed at launch and gets you the 1.5 sixty foot times to get into the tens. But if you had to carry passengers you had to change the springs back to the variable rate big springs. I am also considering Mickey Thompson ET drag radials and I am not sure if a 20 inch rim or shorter like a 19 inch rim and then a taller tire would give you more side wall to help launch. Ya I talk big and still have no VIN, I want I want I want!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.