SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Driveshaft is the weak link!

43K views 106 replies 41 participants last post by  DesertCat 
#1 ·
According to a post on the Edinberg Facebook page the Black Hellcat broke the driveshaft on the first pass. Not good!

#51 ·
At least the driveshaft is minor as compared to a trans or a rear end. I went through many rear ends and trans in my S2000. Yup I own one of those making 550rwhp at 2790 lbs turbo of course. One reason why I decided to stop the money pit and go into a Hellcat but now I guess I'll have a driveshaft issue lol, can't win. But at least it's covered under warranty? If you tell dealership that you put drag radials on, will they still pay for a new driveshaft?

#56 ·
Look for a revision in the tune to soften the launch on these cars, this type of blower has almost instant high torque off the line, new tune will limit boost to 6 lbs and ramp up.............

#62 ·
Just had the front splitter replaced as it was damaged when being offloaded. Got to meet my SRT tech and we talked alot about the HC. They were actually discussing the driveshaft issue and he thinks there is the potential for a recall.... I didn't press, but it seems SRT is well aware of the problem.

#68 ·
Does anyone really think Dodge is going to do anything when only two have twisted and the car is suspect of adding nitrous?Bean counters count, replace the few that break will be the answer....

#70 · (Edited)
Yes and I have been driving the HELLCAT out of it! 320 miles 3 tanks so fuel. Going back to work Monday and will take a look at the driveline then to see about upgrades for the driveline. I have only heard of the 2 broken shafts from the same guy at the drag strip. This thing is a beast and with traction at the drag strip I'm sure a upgrade is in order. As far as driving on the street , the OE DRIVELINE SEEMS TO BE HOLDING UP. Knock on wood. I will get back with updates soon.

#71 ·
replacing a drive shaft is cheaper than a tail shaft, or pinion... you need a buffer for peak torque. Yes bigger drive shaft is in the works, and Ill prob. have one.. but just remember when trans cases start breaking... :) the lighter 2 piece shaft is because of NVH, Same reason ford put them on the shelby for years.. not every one who buys this car is going to toss drag radials on them. (I plan to.. ) but I also build cars with 50 miles on them :-D

#74 ·
I really don't see how it is possible to have the DS break and be the weak link on a 700++ car. I mean, if you were testing the driveline for strength, wouldn't the first thing you do is add slicks to test it's strength?

Why do we need to suffer with a piece of spaghetti for a driveshaft? So now you add an aftermarket one and suddenly it is a "driveline modification" and then dump your warranty too?

#75 ·
The Dodge drive shaft has been the weak link since 2009, from there the half shafts then the input shaft and on to the output shaft, it will be interesting when some 6 speed cars start to throw sticky's on and dump the clutch.. add the new DS and keep the OEM for service needs......

#76 ·
If you break a part racing it is not supposed to be covered by warranty. There is no way a service manager is going to believe you twisted a shaft on 275 mm factory street tires. If they choose to look the other way, well...with all the gizmos tjey could probaby look in the computer to find out what you were doing before the breakage. Once they deny a claim it is up to you and your lawyer to fight and even if you win you WILL have to pay your lawyer costs.

The driveshaft might be sacrificial but it is hell of a dangerous part to break under these conditions.

#77 ·
Jack up your Hellcat and take a peek underneath.....you will amazed how small that driveshaft is going into the differential. Tiny. Needs stronger half shafts. It's a two piece driveshaft. Wheelbase too long a for one piece. The Hellcat SHOULD have a chrome moly, 3 inch thick wall unit that would be set up for 1350 U joints (no rubber couplers) and have a heavy duty TRUCK center support.

#78 ·
the drive shaft is the cheapest, easiest "fuse" to replace.. you beef up the drive shaft, then you break axles.. you beef up axles then you break diffs and gears, beef up the diff, and you break output shafts, beef up output shafts, you break cases.. by the time you are done chasing your tail, you now have a 110k car.. The conversation I had with some guys who build 1000 HP twin turbo Vipers went like this.. "Make sure you have a spare Trans and complete rear end on the shelf.. if you put sticky tires on it, they break.. not if, its when..Those things are considered "wear items" in the TT Viper world... Ill put some drag radials and a drive shaft in, but I doubt it will ever see any track time...

-D

#79 ·
the drive shaft is the cheapest, easiest "fuse" to replace.. you beef up the drive shaft, then you break axles.. you beef up axles then you break diffs and gears, beef up the diff, and you break output shafts, beef up output shafts, you break cases.. by the time you are done chasing your tail, you now have a 110k car.. The conversation I had with some guys who build 1000 HP twin turbo Vipers went like this.. "Make sure you have a spare Trans and complete rear end on the shelf.. if you put sticky tires on it, they break.. not if, its when..Those things are considered "wear items" in the TT Viper world... Ill put some drag radials and a drive shaft in, but I doubt it will ever see any track time...

-D
There's always a weak link some where in the drive line and often moves when a part is up graded, I consider a drive shaft a cheap up grade and won't know on the half shafts until one breaks, but if it does that too is an easy fairly cheap up grade, I see the trans as being the wall as there are no real help in parts for it yet....

#82 ·
Only to about 800HP, after that they are garbage, even the Rockland, they twist shafts as bad as the autos.

#81 ·
BTW, I think Fireball is testing a new aluminum one piece shaft this week getting ready for the MSHS event in Bradenton Florida 3/1

#83 ·
DSS is supposed to have one built and testing as of 2 weeks ago.. I look to see it being sold soon.. They have some patent on a CV that guys are using on 1500 HP cars... Usually use Dynotech because they are damn near my neighbor, but only DSS has this fancy CV.... Ive had great luck with both makers in the shelby world.. and I use Dynotech for any local hottods.. mostly steel shafts, all been top notch quality.

I look forward to seeing what other company's will make.

#84 ·
After getting some measurements for Frank at DSS the one piece showed up and is installed in my HellCat. It fits perfectly and made the car ride a little better.I took her up to about 130 for a bit. It took me about 2 1/2 on the ground to put it in by myself. I run a DSS in my 08 that runs low 9.s on boost and juice and never ever had any issue, it's the same exact DS if my Hellcat now. You would be crazy not to buy this if you plan on running DR's on this car at these power levels. Already we have seen several failures. here's some pic's

Attachments

#89 ·
it felt lighter but I didn't weigh it. These cars are so heavy it don't really matter, not going to make a big difference either way.

#93 ·
My 08 every pound matters, this car is just going to be a daily driver on dry streets.

Attachments

Reactions: F6F
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.