driveshafts?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Noquarter, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i keep hearing more and more people running drs are upgrading driveshafts. I know they are a weak link but consider dodge touted the dr nhra run this seems like it ahould be a warrenty fix or a tab even? Are people really snapping shafts running just drs?

2. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I went to auto club drag way in Ca the workers at the line asked me if Im running the stock shaft I said yes he told me the last 2 HC left on a trailer both DS let go at the start line.?? But mine lasted 8 runs

3. Georgia cat

Georgia cat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went 10.71 on the stock drive shaft with a 1.58 60 ft.
    I wouldn't recommend it though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard the stock drive shaft will hold up for around 20 runs,, but could be less depending on your tire set up, also heard dodge will only replace one..just food for thought

5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There was one either at MATS or a weekend or so after MATS that twisted one to. I ran probably bout 8 times with DR's and didn't have an issue. But, on Sunday when i ran after being totally consistent all weekend i wheel hopped both times in Sun. I think that is part of the issue to. Car wheel hops and people don't let off the gas they stay in it, that shock loading of the tire hopping, spinning up, then hitting the ground, slowing down etc is what twist them.

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not a question of will it break but when will it twist, most have never seen the shaft out of the car and it really is a designed weak link so that other parts are not damaged, so far Dodge has replaced all that twisted that I know of because it's the cheapest fix, but if you serious about taking the car to the track I would replace it with either the aluminum or carbon fiber unit which BTW will improve you 60' and ET at the track as a bonus......
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Who has the best price on a CF one right now?

8. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well if that's the case wouldn't it be unwise to put a strong aftermarket drive shaft in there?

9. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think they intentionally designed it as a "weak link" after thinking about it-because blowing a driveshaft can cause massive damage and injury. I just think they stuck by their lowest bid contractor/stuff on the shelves for cheap, rolling the dice on warranty and lawsuits vs. replacing or upgrading every single one.

It just currently is the weak link; then methinks the trans which is limited to something pretty close to our torque peak if IIRC. 675 or something?

10. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ya thats what needs to be cleared up. Are you voiding warrenty with an aftermarket?

11. Indybill

Indybill Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last night first run broke my DS. I am running Mickey Thompson 305 DR's. I will be ordering the DSS Aluminum DS today. No reason to try and have the dealer replace under warranty cause the replacement will also break.

12. Indybill

Indybill Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last night first run broke my DS. I am running Mickey Thompson 305 DR's. I will be ordering the DSS Aluminum DS today. No reason to try and have the dealer replace under warranty cause the replacement will also break.

13. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well this makes me sad. Such an amazing car and plagued by the same issues the old 392s were. Personally, you shouldn't have to go buy a $900 DS when Dodge touted this car as a drag machine with their "10.8 DR" claims. This seems like something that the SRT boys need to address. At the very least, it needs to be stated that upgrading wont void warranty.

14. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well you're not really voiding a warranty, how can you void a warranty for a part that isn't installed?

If i remember, the 8-spd is rated for about 900 not 675. Unless you mean the 6-spd?

15. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I guess what I am wondering is, was it intentionally designed to break thereby saving other things that would be much more severe or is just a weak link that wasnt tested properly. If you upgrade to something that dosnt break and some other issue happens, can they turn around and say sorry, the driveshaft caused it.