Driving a Celebrity

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Max66, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Max66

Max66 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Remember when you were a kid on Christmas morning, laying in your bed at 5:00 am, waiting in excited anticipation for your parents to wake up so you could open your presents? I find myself doing something like that all over again. (And I'm 50!) Most mornings I get up early, so I can drive my Hellcat before I go to work. I'll wait until my wife goes to sleep at night, so I can take it for a spin. I find myself standing in the garage at 2:00 am in the morning, just staring at it. Dodge calls it a "Halo" car. I believe it. It has that weird light around it. You just got to look.

I went to my first car show recently after someone pulled me over, to ask if I would bring it there. It drew a small crowd. And there were a lot of really nice cars there. Lambos, Ferraris, etc. I come out of gas stations and supermarkets to find people standing around my car, wanting to know about it. People roll down there windows at stop lights to ask me about it. People that don't even own a Dodge knows what it is. Most surpisingly, women and children. I found 5 Hellcat forums alone on the internet. Does Prius have a forum? If it does, I can't get myself to type that into my computer. Yesterday, while idling through a grocery store parking lot with my windows down, a couple walked buy and one turned to the other and said the phrase that I think will forever be attached to the car. "Is that a Hellcat"?

It made me curious. What is it about this car that makes it so famous? The engine? It's more than that. And to judge it by its individual components I think is unfair and short sighted. Cindy Crawford (I'm dating myself here) probably has some parts that aren't super spectacular, but has a whole - wow! The Hellcat represents something. It's a statement. The look, the power, the sound, it hits all your senses.

It reminds me of the grizzly bears I saw in Yellowstone last summer. Everyone knows they have freakish power and can kill you with little effort, but people still crept closer to get a better look. It's primal. The Hellcat looks menacing. And it is. It looks like an apex predator, raised up on its haunches ready to devour anything that gets close. I've come to refer to it as "barely controlled violence".

As we all know, the performance data from it "is" incredible. But I love stating the more obscure things about it. It will drain the 18.5 gallon gas tank in 13 minutes at full power. It can suck the air out of a 10 by 13 room in 1 minute. It can do 200 miles an hour. Dodge had to build new dynos to test it. And best of all, It's the 5th most powerful production car in the world. The other 4 are a Porsche, a Mclaren and two Ferrari's!

So.....In closing, what ever it is, that makes this car a celebrity, I for one am just honored to call it mine. Now I can say, as I'm sure everyone else here who owns one has replied more than once........"Yes, it's a Hellcat".

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep...you nailed it pretty well. My Kitty is so bad ass...I really love this car. :D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool right up. I definitely love my car. Today the majority of cars look alike. This car is one of a kind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ditto everything above. I went out to dinner the other night when the Goodguys car show was in town. I went to a very popular restaurant strip and there were hot rods everywhere. The restaurant we wanted to go to was packed and said 1 1/2 hour wait so I parked my car in front of the restaurant and promptly ordered food to go. While I was waiting for our food, the owner of the restaurant came out with big google eyes and asked if the car was real. He said there were really cool cars going up and down the street all day but my hellcat was the only one worthy of him to come out and check out. He took several photos of the car and couldn't stop asking me questions about the car. This happens everywhere I go in this car. Even my wife has been shocked at how much attention this car gets.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah. Why do they ask if its real ? Definitely the most popular question. Like it's some kind of mythical creature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    " It will drain the 18.5 gallon gas tank in 13 minutes at full power. It can suck the air out of a 10 by 13 room in 1 minute. It can do 200 miles an hour. Dodge had to build new dynos to test it. And best of all, It's the 5th most powerful production car in the world. The other 4 are a Porsche, a Mclaren and two Ferrari's! "

Pretty incredible and powerful Max!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. flanman

flanman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Max, you really nailed the feeling of owning a Hellcat. It simply puts people in awe. I think a lot of people think that you have to be just a little bit crazy to own and drive one, kind of like using a chainsaw to trim your bushes.

The Hellcat is pure awesomeness.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well said I'm sharing on FB HC page

9. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree... Like Christmas as a kid! This thing is a Rock Star!
    The 1st week I got mine I think my wife finally understood when on a simple trip to a restaurant a young girl walked up and asked if she could take a pic of my car then on the way home the cell phones were hanging out of car windows taking pics as we passed.

Just this week I had a local mechanic literally jump for joy when I dropped by his shop. I just stood in silence as he told his coworker " you are looking at living automative history" then started running off the specs starting with 707 HP.

I live on a busy street and when I pull her out of the garage to wash her, strangers will pull in my driveway to take a closer look. I find I make great new friends because of my rock star... Never experienced anything like it. And I thought I was the only one standing in my garage at 2 am staring at this wonderful machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Spot on my Bro well said. Bam

11. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I think a lot of people make the assumption that they are looking at a regular 392 or 5.7 car with all kinds of hellcat visual add-ons.

I completely ruined some guys day at a gas station not too long ago, he had a HC hood on a 2014 R/T. "Nice Car, got the hellcat hood? Cool!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bloody hilarious...I too found my self in the garage at 2 am.. Aswell as all the other stuff mentioned.... I've had mine two weeks and everyday is Christmas.. I am fairly young and have never owned anything even close to something like this.... I am blessed to have the opportunity to own a part of history... I fought for a week with my wife, she was the one looking for a car... But I was hooked befor I even saw in person..... I must say I've been intranced ever since... Simply put stoned, intoxicated, and even giggly and giddy... It's like nothing I've ever experienced... We haven't even talked about driving the car yet.... Lol... I can't wait to get to the track when winter is over.... It's pretty funny that this car is more about throttle control or lack of need for over input than just runnin the wheels of it... It commands respect with every poke of the throttle and they must be shuttle pokes

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice write up Max... I think it goes without saying the Hellcat set the automotive world on fire this past year. I remember the lead up to it's release and the HP speculation. I remember reading it would be in the 640 to 680 range... then later heard it was going to be 600. Which as crazy as it sounds I was bummed about the 600 HP... then the release of 707 instantly put the car in legend status and the first car hadn't even been sold yet. Truly amazing car!

14. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bravo!

15. Raymondhellcat12315

Raymondhellcat12315 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very well written, nice job.