Dumb question but need technical advice with removing & replacing sun visor...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by iya0yas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...okay, so in my (& dealer's PDI) we missed that the drivers side vanity mirror was broken but the good news is that the paint looks good. Anyway, the dealer has confirmed the sun visor assy. will be replaced under warranty however as a matter of convenience I prefer to do the swap myself.

The visor assy. is wired for lighting but from what I can see the wire connector is unconventional in design and I don't want to make matters worse by damaging the wire and/or connector during removal. Is there a special tool required to separate the wire connector from the visor assy.? Thanks-

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would just take it to the dealer. I would tell them: "I don't mean to step on any toes, but, please have the tech be very careful not to scrape anything or get anything dirty.".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you break it under warranty, you own it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a broken vanity mirror on the passenger side when my Hellcat was delivered. I took it out myself without any special tool for the electrical connector. After you remove the 3 screws, you have to take the a-pillar molding off and pull down on the headliner to see the connector.

5. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Someone help me understand why you pay for a warranty and don't use it? Yes warranty is included in the cost of the car.

7. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I already had my car stored for the winter and I didn't want to wait until the spring to replace the sun visor.

8. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Because sometimes they damage the car. My first SRT came back with all kinds of scratches on the front fenders from the work aprons. Like the hose clamp on the 2015 recall, I did it myself. $3 part order online and no trip the dealership for pain and suffering. Big stuff, no worries, they can do it. Even an oil change scares me sometimes.

9. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks to all for the advice... For those who had to ask why... well, I'm just particular that way and prefer to do my own work where flat rate is of no concern.

Luckily for me, my dealer employs competent mechanics and over the years I've developed a good rapport with a few of them, namely Kenneth, the lead mechanic who allowed me to watch him change the oil in my previous HC. That was nice as I took the opportunity to visually inspect the chassis and exposed component parts all the while being mindful not to impede his progress. Of course I came prepared with steel toe shoes and safety glasses. I suppose the respect between my dealer and I is a mutual thing. I'm also friends with the owner who happens to own a Sublime HC and I'm friends with many of the sales folks; likely a product from purchasing 4 vehicles in the last 5 years but also treating each employee regardless of their capacity with the utmost respect.

Remember those oxidized rear rotors from a previous topic? Well after 100miles they remain excessively pitted so much so that concentric rings are now visible on the swept area of the rotors where the pads are not wearing uniformly with the rotors. I eventually took the car in to my dealer this afternoon to have them R/R the visor and in passing voiced my concern regarding the rotors to Kenneth. Upon inspection Kenneth promptly instructed the service adviser to go ahead and order replacement rotors under warranty. No additional questions asked...! And with that I smiled and said "Kenny, you read my mind". Trust me folks they're bad...

Again, just another example that there are "good" DJCR dealers out there and I consider myself damn lucky to have access to one of them in my hometown.

Thanks again for everyone's input; good, bad or indifferent. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    didn't read all posts so i don't know if you figured it out yet. if not, post a pic of the connector and i'll tell you how it comes apart.

• Like Like x 1
  11. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks but good to go now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I decided to have the dealer R/R the visor under warranty. Glad I did because it was a PIA as the wire connector was glued to the underside of the B-Pillar trim and I just don't think I would have had the nerve to peel back the trim as was necessary to access the connector. It's all done now and everything turned out just fine.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1