Dyno tires not safe on street

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Tire God, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another interesting topic I came across not long ago was that mickey thompson, M&H, and some other tire manufacturers have technical bulletins on their website about how it is very unsafe to use the tires on a dyno and then for regular use. The reason is
    #1 because the roller the tire sits on is not flat ground, it is a curved surface, which doesn't let the whole contact patch touch the roller. This builds up excessive heat and stress in a very small part of the tire, instead of the heat and stress being able to be distributed across the face of the tire.
    #2 no air flow from the wind and driving speed means even more heat build up.
    #3 the car is strapped down with toe straps and in most cases people are getting wheel spin on the dyno so the natural instinct is to lower the air pressure.
    So we have and underinflated, overloaded tire that is not even fully contacting the roller. Then you add the 150+mph runs.
    If you want to dyno, have a different set of tires. Also the tire guru from hoosier confirmed this and said that the way to get better traction and results on a dyno is to actually raise the air pressure somewhere close to 35-40psi. Just FYI.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    News to me, thanks for the post!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Roostking

Roostking Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Also, under any circumstance, do NOT race dyno sheets! Take it to the track people!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Or just use the same tires. Imagine that, tire companies want you to buy MORE tires??? Say it ain't so...

"We recommend different tires for Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and......" Please.

Hell, my 35" Toyo MT's aren't rated for 130+mph and yet they go there.......OMG the sky will fall!

5. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haha. Well just because it physically does it doesn't mean that it will not cause tire failure at some point. And if it happens at 130 mph you are dead. As well as anyone around you. A set of tires strictly for dyno use is alot cheaper than a lawsuit from an accident you caused because you failed to heed the warning and disclaimers from the tire manufacturers. Don't you think the tire manufacturers know what the tires are capable of? They make them. Not to mention even the best of tires can have a defect every now and then. Just use your heads people.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are plenty of youtube videos that have tire blow outs on the dyno. I just hope they blow there and not later on on the street. Best example

If you watch the tire blow carefully, you will see the tread come off the carcass. This is called tire delamination. It is difficult to achieve proper adhesion of rubber to the steel belt package. And under enough stress and heat this adhesion can break and the tread will peal right off the carcass. Everyone remembers the HUGE legal battle between ford and Firestone right? All of thoes explorer roll over accidents, all thoes dead and injured people. This was because the door placard for the Explorer said to run the tires at 26 psi. Radial tires are not designed to be run at these low pressures on a truck especially with the weight of your family and luggage loaded into it. The result was tire de lamination (thoes retread 18 wheeler rubber you see on the side of the road) and of course complete loss of control and roll over accidents. If you want to play with fire go ahead, just don't drive next to me or my family haha.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Super-fast way to dismount your tires!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah and the fenders and suspension haha

9. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not worried about tires on a dyno. Out of the thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of dyno runs yearly, tire failure is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen.

It happens, but it's a small percentage. I'll take my chances.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is a free country!

11. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why do people need to turn their tires at such speeds on a dyno anyway? (Not rhetorical, I really don't know.)
    Seems you could determine power output without running up the car towards it's top speed, couldn't you?!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The higher gear the less wheel spin and the best reading.