Easy to order from Chrysler dodge in paramus...Just one catch

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Dickie, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Dickie

Dickie Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Easy to order from Paramus dodge if you want to pay over $15k - AT THE TIME OF ORDERING.
    They won't take orders at list price as they say this auto is a 'limited edition' car and you can only order if you pay a $15k premium. Of note in the UK that'd probably see them in court for misselling .
    The hellcat is special in every way just most of which I'm sure Dodge never intended it to be. Conclusion so far is that as production/order process seems so bad that Dodge could be about to get a bloody nose as you can be damn sure the next Camaro & Mustang won't have the same delivery problems. Of note is I'm a fast car man and not bonded to any brand. If it looks good and handles well I'll buy it, hence I wouldn't buy the new mustang, not because I don't like fords, but it's not got the vavavoom! I'm looking for!

You can bet there's nothing more that ford would like to do with the upcoming GT350 than have massive stock availability. Some dealers are quoting $30-15k over book like Paramus are for the hellcat. At some point the penny will drop "This ain't a future Ferrari 250 GTO". It's a very good car but the longer this situation continues the worse it's going to get. I'm now thinking even if I get one, what's the spare parts situation going to be?

The press questioned could dodge sell a car at this price point? Right now the answer has to be no.
    One dealer I could have placed an order with before Christmas and even bought his stock hellcat at MSRP (Don't have the cash until March in case you wondered why I didn't) has delivered numerous cars, another local dealer got his first hellcat 3 weeks ago - so what did they do? Stickered it at $50k over book! They still have the car - OH AND BY THE WAY THEY'VE BEEN TOLD BY DODGE NOT TO TAKE ANY CUSTOMER ORDERS!!!! that's right they can sell you the one they have in stock at $50k over book, but you can't order a new one from them!

Clearly there is a massive mismatch in dealer info, and from what I've learnt on here, I knew more than 2/3rds of the dealers I contacted.

Of note is a Hellcat at $30k over book is well into Porsche 911 territory. Okay 911 not so quick but handling is on a different level (Residuals?). Dodge competing with Porsche on price? $50k over book? Heading into GT3 territory!
    Love the hellcat to bits but wife looks at hellcat vs 911....
    Not everyone may agree with the above, but it's clear now dodge hasn't just burnt the bridge - it set light to it itself. Ford and Chevy have got to be gearing up to crash the party. I looked at a ZL1 - VERY strongly advised by the dealer not to order and to wait 3 months.....
    Nail in the coffin? I enquired with 2 SRT dealers who did not even know there was a Hellcat Charger due out.............
    I do love this forum but right now this car has to be damaging the brand image not enhancing it

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You could get in line and order at $5k over MSRP with my sales rep though.

3. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really want to disagree with you but I can't. Dodge has really screwed up the process.
    However,
    I'm not a "fast" man, I really love the design. Only thing in years that grabbed my heart. If the 911 or the ZL1 were at the same price point I wouldn't be interested. Just don't do it for me. Yes we will lose some of the fickle ones that need the top speed, or the newest of anything. But Mopar diehards have kept it going this long, and we will get past this as well.

As for the ridiculous ADM's, well that's on the dealers, not completely on Dodge and definitely not on the customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dickie

Dickie Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mr BigKid thanks so much for your response, I didn't want this thread to mark me out as some devil person! And I really, really appreciate your input. I'm just a 'car' guy plain and simple, I had a 650bhp RX7 T/turbo some years ago and long for that kind of power again. I just love good fast cars plain and simple.

Good points on the design that you've raised. Of note is that I'm from the UK although I live in NJ and have put my heart and sole into not being a Brit abroad, I live in America, my friends are American not just a bunch of expats (WHY? OH WHY? do people move 4k miles from home then want everything to be like the UK? and ***** about home???) I moved here for a new life, the one big thing on my bucket list was an American muscle car, in the land where it was built - hence my love of speed.

I now 'get' the brand loyalty thing but as a new car buyer here dodge is kicking potential new car buyers in the teeth.
    Two dealers tonight selling Challengers had no idea that a CHARGER hellcat is due in March...I kid you not. One called me a liar!
    I'm at ground zero, I have to decide in March what I want. Premium they are asking pushes me in to 911 money, and when the bubble bursts that $50k premium would have been best spent on a damn good weekend in Vegas whilst the wife in Europe!!!!
    I've done the top speed thing with the Mazda (216 for the record) and just want a classic american muscle car, even my wife loves the challenger, as does my 5 yr old. Sadly dodge is going all out to kill that dream.
    Any polite suggestions are welcome! I'm not anti dodge otherwise I'd still not be looking would I?

5. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As I said, I agree with you. And I am not really talking about brand loyalty although that plays a part. The muscle car era was my childhood, so my likes and dislikes were formed then. Big and mean cruisers are my cup of tea. The Challenger has always been the best retro looking modern muscle car in my book. It has the size to be comfortable all day and plenty of umph to play with on the weekends. It just suits me. There are plenty of European cars I LOVE. However as an typical southern american I would not be comfortable at all even if I could afford them :)

If your looking for iconic modern muscle car, you can do no better than the Challenger. IMHO

I choose not to pay over MSRP. It bothers me to pay more than I should, and I could possibly be stretching finances to far. However I would NEVER consider the ludicrous prices you've quoted. I suggest you go to cars.com or some other similar site, pick up the phone first thing in the morning, and start calling. With diligence you can find ADM's as low as 5k over. It may take 100 calls but all you need is one that fits your budget. The longer you wait the higher the ADM's will grow. If I had a time constraint such as yours, and could afford it I would definitely pay up to 10k for this seminal car. These bruisers regardless of make or model will not last to far into the future.

I wish you luck and good shopping friend.

BTW: By joining this site you already know more about the car than 99.9% of the dodge salesforce. Sad but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shelbygth

Shelbygth Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    RS posted they will be making them until 2017.After summer it will all calm down,paying over. Ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dickie

Dickie Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the update. I could pay for one outright in march but could hold fire until August when my current lease runs out. Shopping around today around 12 out of 13 dealers advertising cars had sold them, one 'automatic' seemed to have a clutch pedal when I viewed it! Of note is that when it comes to the upcoming charger if you search on cars.com the west coast dealers have them for sale but not a single one on the east coast/ mid-east.
    I may hold on for another month but then walk away. Most fun I'm having at the minute is laughing hysterically when they quote $20k over book and then cut them off...
    Thanks again for the update on the 2017 date

• Like Like x 1