ECOSmart Waterless Car Wash and swirls

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Jury, May 24, 2016.

1. Jury

Jury Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone use Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash and notice any swirl marks after using? I'm getting ready to start using it (always been a 2 bucket and detail kind of guy), and wanted to see if anyone noticed issues. Appreciate any feedback.....

Jury

2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Swirls are less about the type of waterless wash you use (the chemicals and solution) and more about what you use to apply and remove (pads, towels etc.)

The less you touch the surface the better that's when surface blems occur.

I use something similar, for touch up.

Its also about how clean is your car to begin with. In my case car is stored inside, is not driven in rain and snow, and so its rare when need to clean a lot. When that's necessary I dont use waterless wash. In either case it took a long time to select everything to mitigate introduction of surface blems, and my car is black so it wasn't easy.

3. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Disclaimer my paint job is not picture perfect or show quality.

I used Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash this winter when my car was stored in my garage. I used it every two weeks instead of washing the car in the freezing cold. I did not notice any additional scratches or swirl marks. I was very carelful and used about 15 micro-fiber towels. Now that my car is out of storage i have been using it to clean my car if it's not very dirty from driving. I also use
    Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, 16 Oz.

I am interested in how others will respond.

4. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg I'm a fan of CG stuff, never tried the Eco wash because well, it isn't very ECOnomical. I'm a big fan of waterless washes as I clean my car often (a few times a week) and very rarely unless I had a long drive or got caught in rain break out the hose. Check out Adams Rinseless wash. You can do it the "bucket" method similar to ONR, or you can make a spray which works better for my purposes. One ounce in 16 ounces of water and I can clean my wheels and paint/Windows. It leaves NO streaks and zero scratches, however I make sure to swap my towel out quick often and I really saturate the paint with the spray ( I easily go thru a whole 16oz bottle cleaning the car that may only have a light coating of dust).

I'm a fanatic and this really does a great job and helps me keep my sanity in between regular washes. Just to preface I only do this when the car is lightly dusty with minimal dirt, there is a fine line between when you can do the waterless and when it's time to break out the hose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jury

Jury Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks gents. Appreciate the input. I'll be sure to add to my stable of microfiber clothes!

6. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have never had any swirling with it, but I have only used it a few times. You don't want to use a circular motion, that can cause swirl marks that are more noticaable and harder to get out. Use a linear motion in one direction. I do it just like they show on the Chemical Guys video on their website:
    Chemical Guys - EcoSmart-RU (Ready to Use) Waterless Car Wash & Wax (16 oz)

I have found it best to use in the shade or when it is not hot out, and do small areas at a time. It does have some wax in it, and if you spray it over a large area it can dry before you get to it (esp. if it is hot out). If it dries it leaves some waxy streaks, but you can still just re-wet the area and it does not do any damage. Overall I think it works great.
    Lots of great advice on here, especially the part about if it only has minimal dirt on it. You have to use some judgement to decide if there is too much dirt for the waterless wash to handle. You don't want to rub anything dry on your car when there is dirt on it because that is when it will scratch. If I had more than a light coating of dirt and dust, I would at least give it a quick rinse with water first to get off the loose dirt.

Oh yeah, and I did have 2 spots of bird crap on my car that had hardened. Sprayed it with the waterless wash, let it sit for 15 seconds, and it lifted right up. So I do really like it.

And I would recommend a good microfiber cleaner (I also use the Chemical Guys for that) to clean your MF towels. I washed 12 of them this weekend and they were heavily soiled, they came out of the washer looking almost new.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Make sure you have enough MF towels around lol

8. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm super impressed with the Eco waterless.

Mixing 16 to 1 from the gallon concentrate. About 40 Oz does the whole car. 4 to 5 microfiber towels.

I'm a lazy detailer, self-described: I'd rather drive than clean but I will keep it clean. The whole waterless deal is much quicker than 2.buckets followed by drying and comes out spotless and buffed to a shine. Works for me!

Here's a shot of me in action with the Ecowash. IMG_20160504_113145408.jpg IMG_20160504_114036521.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

Any waterless is fine with dust, but if you drive in a rain storm and it dries I wouldn't use ANY waterless product. I was a dealer for a waterless product in the 90s. Did my black truck for a show in winter with a little road film, it looked like I washed it with steel wool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree 100% Paul. There's always a risk something's on the surface that if moved could cause damage. Been there done that. I use it very, very sparringly, and rarely.

11. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wipe in one direction, roll the edge as you go. I've been through road construction sites, thunderstorms before those pics were taken. Microfiber and technique us working for me. Car has been outdoors a bunch and I look carefully for microscratches: none so far.

If I had chunks on I would spray it down first then let it dry before using the Waterless cleaner&wax.

Our front grills and bumpers are full of insects and bugs this time of year, stuff works so well, hundreds of bugs are literally wiped away within one or two strokes (which very much suprised me).

It's a good product for me.

12. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been using GC ECO wash waterless wash for years. I also use ONR (Opti No rinse). It's all about technique. I've never had any issues. Check out videos etc for some good ideas.

ECO wash is the bomb IMO. I love the stuff!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not with modern waterless wash if you know what you are doing. You can do a car that is filthy without damaging it *if* you use the proper techniques.

I wash off road film (and worse) all winter with this stuff. Never an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Minimize risk with this stuff by sealing your the cars surface so that residue can't so easily attach to it in the 1st place. Do that and you create a boundary layer so that if surface marring happens its at the boundary layer and not the clear coat.

15. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For those that are saying ECO Wash is expensive make sure you buy the concentrate and dilute it with distilled or de-ionized water. Much, much cheaper and a gallon of concentrate goes a long way.

On a regular during the week maintenance wash I don't even use 8 ounces on the entire car.

• Agree Agree x 1