Electronic exhaust valve - exactly how does this function

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by JerseyCat, Oct 18, 2015.

1. JerseyCat

JerseyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I get the overall concept - valve is opening and closing to permit more or less of an exhaust note, but does anyone know exactly how this is functioning? By "how" I mean is the valve closed 80% by default, 50% in "sport" and fully open in "track". Has anyone seen this functioning out of the car? Myself, I can't seem to hear much difference, but the car only has 250 miles on it and I have not jumped on it due to break in procedure Still, when driving in default and track, I can't seem to tell much difference. Are these valves continually adjusted according to RPM, or are they fixed by "mode" and stay in that position?

2. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I believe that valve is wide open during two instances at least....during cold start and wide open throttle. My car will wake the neighbors what I first start it in the garage! Pretty sure its position changes other than that is dependant on what mode you're in and throttle position....but exactly where/ what percent open/closed I have no idea,...

3. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Best way to hear the difference. Put the RPMs between 3,000-3,500 while driving. If an auto, hold the gear in manual mode.

Then, switch between Default and Track modes (this mode opens the flaps). You'll hear a difference.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a restrictor, think large washer or donut with hole. Restrictor in (closed) or out (open) not partial.

5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In Track mode they are held open, you'll hear a difference when driving (not at idle or low speeds).

Forget the break-in BS, it's been proven over and over to be a myth. I've pounded on mine (and ALL of my cars/motorcycles) from the 1st mile without issue. You're not going to really notice much difference is you're pussy-footing it.

Also after a few thousand miles, the note will get a tad louder (not by much) and a little deeper.

• Useful Useful x 1