Electronic Limiter

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by JeffT, Apr 23, 2016.

1. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Guys,
    A question, when I first brought my Hellcat I thought I read here on the site the the Hellcats were not electronically limited, well I found out yesterday that they are, I got to the speed in the photo with no probs and car was still pulling but then the limiter kicked in, very obvious feeling like going into ECO mode on my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8, and the Hellcat wouldn't Hellcat.jpg budge over this speed for the next mile even with plenty of revs still available in top gear, any thoughts guys ???

2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Aero drag is more than likely. 193mph is not slouching.

3. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Rayzazoo, no not a chance as I backed up the run and exactly the same speed it cut in, its very distinct !!

4. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Cat is not broken in yet, although limiting to that speed seems silly.

5. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Cole3986, yes she is well and truly broken in as you guys in the States call it :), huge misconception by most who don't work with modern era perf engines that you have to tote around at 60 mph with for 1,000 miles, modern CNC machining sort all surfaces bar one, piston ring to bore, as soon as my Cat left the show room (30 miles) I started with its break in cycle, with engine at normal operating temperature you cycle the engine under load a gear or two taller than you need (in manual) from 2 to 5,000rpm, this places maximum combustion pressure on the sealing surface of the ring to bore wall to ensure the most effective break in seal, after you carry out each cycle you allow the engine to thermally stabilize again for 5-10 mins depending on ambient before attempting another cycle, it only takes 100 miles doing this procedure every now and then to break in the engine, at 500 miles I carried out an oil change and put the car on the circuit and the car performed faultlessly for 1 hour at max rpm in track mode around a 3km circuit running normal temps in all areas, this car and all my previous have never used a drop of oil when employing this method of break in (quick and efficient ring seal, on comp and oil rings) i have never found skirt scuffs or any other issues on engine tear downs, its a great fun car to throw around. Cheers :D:D

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No speed limiter. Keep it in sixth with the A8 for top speed. Hope you are not just out on a street attempting 190+ mph runs for the hell of it.

It is like diving. Respect the dangers! I could go deeper, but why? Did one day to -135', but it was a special once in a lifetime guided special purpose (Devils Throat-Cozumel).

7. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, not a engine issue, computer limits power for the first 1,500 miles, supposedly, that is why I said silly, it does not appear to limiting too much ;);)

8. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's your elevation? What was the DA during these runs? What about air temp? Around Calgary (elevation: 3400 ft, DA: 4500+), we would never see a top speed like those folks at sea level.

Are you running with the Summer Performance tires or the 3 season?

9. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, thanks Cole3986, that would explain it, stay tuned as in about 800 miles I will go out and have another go at making the magic 200, only 5 mph away at the moment so hopefully be no probs after 1,500 miles, thanks for the info :cool:

10. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Cruisin1966, Elevation was sea level so DA about as good as you can get, ambient was 28 deg C (82 F for you guys) was an afternoon couple of runs, weather starting to warm up over here, cannot believe how stable the Cat was at this speed, so I think it will do what it said on the can and crack 200.

11. JeffT

JeffT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi DGatzby, no that wont work as I pegged red line in both 6th and 7th so it has to be 8th, car will pull it and trust me it is limited (at present), but I have just learned that there may be a 1,500 mile limiter on it, once I have put a few more miles on her we will soon find out !! :cool:

12. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've read the Challenger will do 199MPH while the Charger is verified to do 204MPH averaged over 2 runs (with/against the wind). That was on a closed high-speed test circuit though. As far as I've ever read, they're aerodynamically limited only.

For reference as I'm sure this is posted elsewhere on the site.

13. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha ha, thanks for the conversion. ;) I like how we have to help out our brothers/sisters to the south, occasionally. I don't have a clear stretch or road I could attempt a run long enough to push that speed. Did manage to make it to 284 km/hr, and yes, it was very stable.