SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Electronically controlled exhaust valve disable

71K views 116 replies 38 participants last post by  DesertCat 
#1 ·
Can the electronically controlled exhaust valves be disabled for the continuous exhaust roar? Would it hurt anything if they are disabled?

Reactions: mark wizgen
#9 ·
Sport mode it is!!! I luv that rumble!!!

#15 ·
Yep, I made sure it wasn't black and he isn't fro. Washington. LOL. Did you see that my Vette nemesis broke down the other day on the freeway? I actually felt sorry for him and almost stopped, but I saw the tow truck coming so I just gave my car a little extra gas so he was sure to hear me.. LMAO! I think it is still at the dealer for repair. Our Chev dealer is questionable so it might take a while. I just hope he doesn't trade it for a Z06... I will really have my work cut out for me.:cool:

#17 ·
Couldn't you just put a new 3" cat back on & have the car loud all the time? Not try to keep the valves open?

#18 ·
Couldn't you just put a new 3" cat back on & have the car loud all the time? Not try to keep the valves open?
Just a question but would "back pressure" when the engine is cold be a reason they dont open when first starting or at low rpm's? Is the "valve" solenoid operated? If so you can just unbolt the head and zip tie it to the frame and remove the gate totally, the car would just think it is still operating as designed but will not have any effect. These are just questions as I have not had the chance to check myself,,,

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
Thanks Jim, exhaust leaks, and rattling panels from snare/bass have to be the most annoying sound around. Are the QTP cutouts available @ Jeggs or Summit ? I'll have to do some research for them because that is definitely on my to do list of mods for the Cat ( if it ever gets here )
Crazy, I bought mine from Summit, but Jegs may sell them also

This post has been deleted
#28 ·
Yes. Cheaply, easily and electronically.

It would be super simple to design a solution that would allow you to electronically control the valves using a switch inside the car. Also super simple to design the solution that would allow you determine when the valves open based on engine RPM, or have the option of always on, or give control back to car.

#31 · (Edited)
riFor what its worth the Hellcat sounds bad ass already in sport mode the cutouts are open any way if I'm not correct.
Here is an example of a 392 with cutouts .

My blown water/meth 6.4 with cutouts won the dyno challenge and made a lot of people smile, as blood dripped from their ears..
Louder the better!!!!!!
Gotta tune for the cutouts being open which lead to more dyno time but it was worth it.
Nothing cooler than when you hear that exhaust rip snort between shifts....Nothing!!
I heard it already a few times shifting in the Hellcat sounded old school mopar bouncing off the buildings in town. Sure some of you know what I speak of :))

Reactions: TURNERZ
#32 ·
For what its worth the Hellcat sounds bad ass already in sport mode the cutouts are open any way if I'm not correct.
My blown water/meth 6.4 with cutouts won the dyno challenge and made a lot of people smile, as blood dripped from their ears..
Louder the better!!!!!!
Gotta tune for the cutouts being open which lead to more dyno time but it was worth it.
Nothing cooler than when you hear that exhaust snort between shifts....Nothing!!
Sweeeeeeet! True story! Louder the better!:D

#43 ·
The valves are not there for back pressure or any kind of performance. They are there for noise.. more accurately, its for a drone in the cabin at highway speeds. I am working on a valve bypass as we speak. I hope to have a test device here in a week. It will plug in where the valves plug in and zip tie out of the way. Then you can run any exhaust you want, or even put a motor on a switch to open and close the valves when you want. I still have not located the ID on the PCM yet.. so its a hardware hack for now.

-Dave

#45 ·
The valves are not there for back pressure or any kind of performance. They are there for noise.. more accurately, its for a drone in the cabin at highway speeds. I am working on a valve bypass as we speak. I hope to have a test device here in a week. It will plug in where the valves plug in and zip tie out of the way. Then you can run any exhaust you want, or even put a motor on a switch to open and close the valves when you want. I still have not located the ID on the PCM yet.. so its a hardware hack for now.

-Dave
Probably the easier way. Still want to do a controlled method priorities elsewhere for now. Car show in May I'm prepping for. Catch cans, custom exhaust dumps, lots of exterior work to complete etc. Then back to this. Not enough time. Tks for plowing forward Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.