Email sent to NHRA and IHRA..

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Birddog, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, after one of the best years I had playing with a street car (at the track), I think we need to stand up to fight for a safe place to race competitively (not just test and tunes/ street legals). I have had many cars over the past 35 years and have always hated the roll bar rule for street cars. It turns the car from a street car to a race car. I sent an email this morning to both NHRA (Pat Cvengros- pcvengros@nhra.com ) and IHRA (Mike Baker- mbaker@ihra.com ) to request an amendment to the 11.50 rule. Here is the email:

Hi Pat. How would one go to get a rule revision? I understand the rules that are imposed for race cars (re: roll bar at 11.50 ET) but is there anyway to get an amendment with mildly modified new cars (driveshafts/ drag radials to be specific) to say 10.50? The biggest defence I would have for this amendment would be that (with respects to the Hellcat and Corvettes), the car is equipped with airbags where a regular race car does not. An airbag would provide much more safety than a rollbar in 99.9% of the accidents. I've been racing for more than 30 years and with a decline in membership and fan base, one can not help but look at other avenues to increase Activity in NHRA. There was over 5000 hellcats produced in 2015 that can only play on street legals (or the streets). Even if on 10% (which I know in Alberta CAN would be much higher) that would be an additional 500 members. As a business man, I know it is always about the growth and economics but no one should miss this chance ($$$ And increased membership) over a rule of roll bars. Even FCA (Dodge/ Chrysler) advertised the car as a 10.80 certified quarter mile car with Drag radials on a NHRA track. I respectfully ask to consider this request as I think this is much more than just a "rule". I've alway been a proponent to "get racing off the street and on the track" and think this can be a win/ win for the tracks, the sanctioning bodies, and the streets...
    I hope to hear from you soon on this request.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

The way I see it, if no one asks/ fights for it... It will never happen. I love racing the Cat and hope this happens :)

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It would be nice to send them a link to this post just to show the support we have for a rule amendment and how many would support their sanctioning body if this rule went through.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. jgil

jgil Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great write up I have sent a email to the folks at nhra also. I have no plans to put a roll bar in my car, so if we can't have fun at the drag strip with good tires and good driveshaft then I guess a bunch of us will sit it out and the nhra can stick it where the sun don't shine! Just my opinion.

4. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it a great idea you have , with all the new tv show out now it promotes street racing and if we can get most of thease off the street the safer we all are and plus what a good way for the people not just kid to prove to there friend who's faster ! Great idea Bird Dog

5. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I respectfully agree,for sure!
    Is their not a clause for factory built cars in the rulebook?
    .......500 New members is a bit of a stretch,
    All of Canada received less than 500 vehicles total!
    Did you mean North America.
    Far

6. Halfshaft

Halfshaft Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad Birddog sent that message, get a protistion started, where do I sign, Challengers and Chargers have larger and very strong rear roof panels, otherwise Chrysler would never took them cars 200 MPH.

7. Krazy98Z28

Krazy98Z28 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2008+ vehicles can run to 10.00 per new NHRA rules...my local track honors that

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Which track is that Krazy98Z28?

9. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Far. Yes I was refering to North America as there is a lot more cars south of the 49th than up here. This is a change that is needed North America wide hence why is said 500 (10% of over 5000 cars built.....) :cool:

10. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A 5 point harness with a roll cage is far more effective than airbags. If you have a 5 point harness then airbags are not even needed plus the harness is way cheaper than airbags.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought factory cars were exempt from the 11.50 rule? I broke the rules at two NHRA tracks then, neither commented on it.

12. Dubs

Dubs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My understanding was factory cars could go 10.0, BUT technically speaking drag radials make them not factory anymore so it can be a little tricky there.

13. Gixer Jay

Gixer Jay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice write up. I completely agree

14. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree... these new cars are all crash tested with crumple zones air bags better belts etc. Going straight down a track with barrier on each side, should they get in a wreck, they are not going to encounter a tree, poll, a ditch, bridge abutment or a car coming the other direction. So it is a far safer environment than doing it on the street. To me as long as the car is street legal which means DOT legal tires full exhaust, unaltered wheel wells, full interior should be allowed to run as quick as 10's quarter mile passes without a roll bar. Lets remember the older cars we see at a drag strip these days that are running 10's they actually need a roll bar/cage to strengthen car. I know modern late model cars are safer and are designed to absorb the energy of a crash better than old race cars. Lets put it this way... if I had a 70 Duster with a 6PT rollbar race buckets and 5 point harness that did a 125MPH in the quarter and were involved in an accident... I'll bet statistically you'd be safer in a 2015 Hellcat given the same circumstances. IMHO

15. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    200 mph or 150, FCA only designs their vehicles to meet the NHTSA safety standards for the applicable model year. I'm not certain anyone has a 200 mph crash standard, nor even a 125 standard.

Any vehicle in an accident over 80 mph is not a good thing, airbags or not. The airbags are supplemental restraints which only work for a brief period of time. The seat belts keep your face out of the sharp edges for any secondary impacts, for example partial head on, airbags deploy, then you run into a bridge abutment. Airbags would no longer be effective, but seat belts would work.
    I would welcome any crash test dummy operators to correct me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1