Engine Heat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by VanishingPoint, Feb 24, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So after some solid runs, and a good cool down, I pulled back into the garage and killed the cat, and popped the hood.

Started using my fully calibrated heat gauge (index finger) and touched the top of the SC.

Yes, it was very hot. Touched the intake-system-also hot.

Even touched the plastic covers over the cylinder heads-really hot too.

I imagine once above 20 mph, it would shed that heat, but I can't help but think some improvement could technically be made by drag racers utilizing ice packing the S/C and maybe the inter-coolers until right before the race (as long as the oil is warmed up). Obviously, I would take care not to get water it shouldn't (though the hood nostrils provide little protection from the elements lol).

I am guessing the traffic and ride up to the line would generate a lot of underhood heat, and having the hood up and friends to push you to the line could be one of the keys to a solid 10 second run.

YMMV

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I noticed that it was really hot only after driving it kinda hard,, if your not driving it like a race car, and not working the supercharger it won't be.that hot, once the supercharger starts working, there is where you heat starts

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rickydl

rickydl Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This s a good article by Alpar on the Hellcat. Note the cooling and durability testing on the road course and drag strip. Heat was a concern, but the extensive testing showed no loss of power, as shown in the article. They did have to add the heat extractors to keep the engine compartment heat build-up to something reasonable.
    Supercharged 6.2 Hemi HellCat V8

• Like Like x 2
  4. scoutermike

scoutermike Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What about some sort of "cool can" setup for the intercooler lines?

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool can, is that like they used to do with fuel lines and coffee can, and ice???

6. scoutermike

scoutermike Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes. I'm not just old, I'm old school.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always thought about that with my last car,, fab up a intercooler that can support an A/C charge,,I know running the a/c pulls horse power,, but if you could charge/ cool the intercooler, that would cool the incoming air going into the engine

• Like Like x 1
  8. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    gonna have to take some reading with my laser thermometer, sitting in the cat, looking out the windshield, the heat rising from the heat extractors looks like something out of a mirage....

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Blackdevil77

Blackdevil77 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That exists and companies make it. Some ZL1 guys use it. After reading up on it, it's not something I would ever consider, especially on a daily street car. Too many problems with freon leaks. Yo have to tap into the a/c lines. Just not something I personally would want to mess with for a tenth or two.

10. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think if we keep the car moving, it will cool itself down... dodge put allot of time in making sure this car can be a daily driver, and still be safe

11. Dtoldave

Dtoldave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you need to take a look at the intake air temps. get a scanner hooked up and look at the pids and see where/if there in a lower IAT sensor you can pull data from. (after the air is compressed) Then start looking at temps.. Ambient heat is ok to a degree and the hood extractors and moving air from driving it will cool it. But I want to see how efficient that heat exchanger is. It seems small for 11 psi. One of the best upgrades to the 5.4 (sorry for referencing this, but its had the most aftermarket use so far) is a dual pass HE, and fans.. I use the C&R set ups with Spal fans.. and they move some AIR! I was experiencing 140-150 degrees in IAT after 2 or 3 hard pulls on the street and cool down took for ever because of the lack of fans with the stock HE. After the install of the C&R, Fans and a bigger tank (increased volume) I NEVER saw temps get above 120.. When the water pump is running, the fans are on.. and it cools like no other.. In 95 degree days in michigan, I see Engine coolant at 180-190 and Blower water around ambient.. Now thats a HUGE heat exchanger compared to the hellcat. And in 2013 with the upgrade from a 1.9 Eaton to a 2.3 TVS the STOCK heat exchanger grew, almost double in size. still no fans, but I ran a 13 GT500 with 18 psi on E85 while tuning, and never saw IATs above 130. with the stock running gear for the cooler.. If we keep pushing the car, (a few more pulls) i am sure the temps would increase, and its time for a C&R upgrade.

-Dave

12. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, my car gets hot and then you punch it, the supercharger kicks in and you can see the engine cool off. So, just kick in the SC when it gets hot! LOL. Really try it. I'm serious for once.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    SVT learned a lot about supercharging with all their years of experience. They put an enormous amount of emphasis on cooling and believe it or not, braking consistency. I know some of the magazine reviews have said they fade to nothing quickly, but after reading some other reviews and owning one, I have to think something was wrong with their test vehicle. I could not get them to fade the way they stated they faded and believe me, I tried. One review I read subjected it to two 20 minute track sessions and said they didn't get any brake fade or heat soak.

From what I've read, cooling on the Hellcat engine is extremely stout as well. I don't know how they compare, but I remember reading coolant is pumped through the intercoolers at a rate of 12 gallons per minute! I don't think heat soak is gonna be much of a concern on these cars, unless I'm missing something, or you try to increase boost substantially.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dtoldave

Dtoldave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Blackdevil77, The brake fade is a compound issue with the mustang, if you are on the gas hard, (low vacuum) have headders on the older vehicles (07-09 I think) the ABS module is mounted up by the air intake and the heat from the headers gets the left front line hot, and you try to panic stop, or brake hard.. (going from 40 to 140 When you see a cop... it pulls like a MF.... but you just have to be ready for it. :) I call that the cost of doing business... I've experienced this on our 07 2.9 Whipple car. its not all the time.. the moon has to be aligned with Venus it seems.. but it does happen. I am betting wrapping the line in heat protector or even wrapping the headers would help.. The car sees 500 mile a year TOPS and mostly car shows and cruising, so its not high on my priority list. What year is your Shelby? Any mods? I built GT500s before getting a HC..

-Dave

15. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 2014 Shelby GT500. It's completely stock right now, under 3k miles. I was planning on doing some basic mods, but right now I'm not sure. If I end up trading it in for a Hellcat, no point in spending the money. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm gonna be able to do it.