engine temp fluctuation

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by huggytree, Apr 1, 2015.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i 'think' i can smell coolant when i have my ventilation system on.......i also 'think' i could smell it a few times when i walked in front of the car....other times i cant smell it............im not sure if im smelling the new duct work or a coolant leak....

that being said.....noticed tonight while driving the HC around that the temp goes up and down.....when driving its below the center mark....when sitting at idle for long stop lights i see it go a bit over the 1/2 way mark.....is this normal?.......at long idle it does stop rising a bit over the 1/2 way point.....im just not used to seeing any fluctuation during normal around town driving...its 70 degrees here today

my coolant level looks just fine in the storage reservoir.....so its not like im low on coolant

notice when the car is turned off there's TONS of heat coming out of the hood scoop and extractors...yet the center of the hood is cool to the touch

2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HT look at the performance page - gauge one. My coolant temp stays between 199-203. The oil temp on mine can vary a bunch when the car is run hard. But that coolant temp has been pretty steady, see what that looks like on yours. The dial on the side is near worthless.

3. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you can smell it, you have a leak somewhere. After a decent drive, park it, pop the hood and get in there with a flashlight and hunt for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That doesn't work on a very slow leak if at the engine as the heat burns it off. For that it needs to be cold and a coolant pressure tester used

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should not be able to smell it, trust your nose, you know, your a car guy.

6. MVT

MVT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I noticed, being from Illinois the the coolant and oil temps do go up now because we have the weather warming up. The temp will go up a bit on idle and when your moving it goes down because of the air flow.
    Mine sitting in traffic bumped up to 226 but then went to 218 when I got moving. The longer your moving everything goes down further.
    As for the hood they designed it that way, the hot air goes out the heat extractors and the center scoop is like a funnel so cooler air can come in and cool the top of the supercharger.
    As for the coolant smell, watch to see if when sitting any drops are on the ground. It could be from the motor heating up, some gases come out of the over flow tube on the coolant over flow tank.

7. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're not seeing things huggytree, it happens to me too the idle then temp rises above the center mark so it's normal. It goes away fast as soon as I start driving and seconds later it drops below the center mark. When turned off it dissipates a lot of heat for me too.

8. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 08 was annoying in Florida before the 180-185 thermostat swap and fan temp settings change. No need for an engine to get that hot. All these electronics and sensors and the thing can't figure you're stopped at zero mph and kick on the fans. Instead it sits there and cooks itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. MVT

MVT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its a Hemi with a Huffer on its back, its goona get hot!:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HEMI POWAH

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blackdevil77

Blackdevil77 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You definitely have a leak somewhere, same exact thing as you describe happened to my Pontiac G8 GT. Although, with my G8, it was the head gaskets causing combustion gases to seep into the coolant, causing it to overflow out of the overflow o_O

You definitely don't have that problem, but there is certainly a leak somewhere and the fact that the temp does that when you stop means you are a bit low on coolant. Check all your coolant lines and radiator hoses.

12. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That don't sound right. I would watch that one also. Monday near southern Iowa, 80 degrees running the hell out of it, idle, cruise it don't matter my coolant does not show that much deviation on the coolant gauge. Oil temp yes, coolant no. Think about it ...27 degree coolant temp deviation?? 199-226

13. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wasn't there a possible issue with one of the o-rings in the SC that was causing a very slow leak.
    I believe it was allowing coolant to get into one of the cylinders

14. charlotte HC

charlotte HC Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i was at the dealer yesterday to install drag radials and they replaced a radiator clamp per recall. See dealer code/explanation below.. dealer.JPG

15. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not a recall