Englishtown Raceway, NJ - Wednesday (3/9)

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by BlackbirdWS6, Mar 7, 2016.

1. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I posted in the NE section but figured I would toss up a post here. Anyone interesting in hitting up Etown this Wednesday (3/9) for test & tune? I'm no stranger to the track but I figured the weather will be decent and I have an itch to get the HC on a closed course. I am bone stock so I don't expect anything special regarding ETs. If I can get it decently into the 11's, I will be more than happy.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With Etown you will get three (3) runs for the night, even if there is no one there.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yup I'm aware. It's the closest track to me and I can get over there in about 30 min right after work. Normally if I'm racing more seriously, I attend or organize a track rental at Atco (next closest track aside from Island). This Etown trip will be just for fun.

4. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So how'd you do?

5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah... How did she run Blackbird!

6. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well it goes without saying but I will say it anyway, this car desperately needs a proper tire. I left from work and headed right to the track (dress clothes and all). I got there around 530PM, got tech'd in and pulled into a lane. I figured I would have a few minutes to cool down, adjust tire pressure, etc. Nope.... I was call to run so I just slapped on my helmet and pulled into the burnout box. I did a very light burnout to clean the tires and pulled to the line. In the other lane was a nice looking C6 Z06. I had the car in the following settings (suspension - street, trans - sport, traction - off) and attempted a 2nd gear launch. I was light on the throttle while taking off and ran 11.8 @ 123 with a 2.0 60'. The tires shook on the launch but didn't slip which was good and I did beat the Z06. Sadly this would be my best run of the night.

I pulled back in the lanes, let the car cool off and adjusted the tire pressure to 28 psi. Based on how soft the car left last time, I figured I could push it harder. I was wrong.... 2nd run I did the same burnout and lined up ready to launch again in 2nd gear. This time I was racing a modded GTR (yeaaaaa) and I proceeded to go ice skating. The car lost traction almost immediately when I squeezed on the throttle and even pedaling it twice, it never regained traction. Not trying to be a hero, I let out of it and coasted through the traps. I've never spun that bad at the track before in any of my prior cars.

3rd run was against a Boss 302 (newer) on a tire (video below). Since you only get 3 runs at this track and I was scarred from the prior run, I left too soft in 2nd gear just to make a full pass. 60' got worse (2.1) and I ran a 12.0 @ 123. I scaled the car and it weighed 4670 with me in (1/4 tank of gas).

All in all, I had a lot of fun and the car drew a lot of positive attention. Folks swung by and just enjoyed talking about the car. I know the car will pick up a few mph and should get into that high 10/low 11 area being able to launch in 1st gear when I get a DR on her. A Gen 3 CTSV trapped 118 and a friends Gen 2 was only managing 109 so I feel good about the MPH. I'm sure with more practice, I could surely make the street tires work better but it's not too much fun having to baby the launch so much.

• Like Like x 2
  7. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Street tires suck at the track.

8. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes they do and while I know they can be more effective, I don't have the patience to keep playing with them.

So I've seen a bunch of threads but what are folks doing for a cheaper drag setup (wheels/tires)? 18" Bravadas and MT DR's? I saw the thread about the Bravada wheel construction concern but I'm not sure I'm convinced unless folks have reported issues with them. Buying another pair of BM wheels and DR's would be ideal from a visual perspective but it's not cost effective.

9. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran drag radials on my stock rims all summer so I had traction on the street. Went to the drags aired them down ran a 10.8 aired them up and went home. Cheap and easy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I know that's the cheapest option but not in the long run. Rather not run radials all the time.

11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What tires do you have? How good is the traction on the street?

12. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good runs.

13. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. I'm ok with them for it being my first outing with the car. I'm sure others are disappointed and expect an 11.0 in street trim.

14. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Real drag racers who actually go to the track know there are a lot of factors in play. With the rwhp you have and street tires launching is a chore. Times will drop with a drag radial and good track prep.

15. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run nitto 555r year round. The Z28 is not a daily driver but they are perfect imo for the street and track. They also have a v speed rating where most drag radials have no speed rating.

• Like Like x 1