EPA fines Hyundai and Kia $100M over unrealistic MPG ratings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source roadandtrack

EPA fines Hyundai and Kia $100M over unrealistic MPG ratings
    [​IMG]
    The Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Justice Department just settled with Hyundai and Kia to the tune of $100 million, the largest Clean Air Act penalty ever assigned. The fine stems from claims that the Korean carmakers sold 1.2 million cars in the U.S. under overly-optimistic fuel economy ratings. The EPA contends that the vehicles sold under the inaccurate fuel mileage ratings contributed more than 5.2 million unaccounted tons of greenhouse gases beyond what the companies estimated.

The settlement also requires Hyundai to spend $50 million to create an independent fuel economy certification group. In addition, the companies will forfeit the carbon credits associated with the unaccounted emissions of the mis-rated vehicles. Those carbon credits, which can be used to offset manufacture of higher-pollution vehicles or sold to other manufacturers, have an estimated market value of over $200 million, according to the EPA.

The agency discovered in 2012 that the two automakers used fuel economy testing protocols that “included numerous elements that led to inaccurately higher fuel economy ratings.” The agency goes on to say that Hyundai and Kia “chose favorable results rather than average results from a large number of tests.” The overstated fuel economy ratings had affected cars produced by Hyundai Motor Group reaching back to 2010. The company blamed the optimistic fuel economy ratings on “procedural errors.”

Hyundai Motor Group, which owns roughly 33% of Kia, has already committed up to $395 million toward settling class-action lawsuits stemming from the inaccurate fuel economy ratings. Bloomberg reports that, in the wake of the EPA’s original investigation, window-sticker fuel economy ratings dropped by as much as 6 MPG.

“Businesses that play by the rules shouldn’t have to compete with those breaking the law,” said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy in a statement. “This settlement upholds the integrity of the nation’s fuel economy and greenhouse gas programs and supports all Americans who want to save fuel costs and reduce their environmental impact.”

At an EPA news conference, Attorney General Eric Holder said “I believe this will send an important message to automakers around the world that they must comply with the law.”

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One of my employees gets a check from them each year for his Hyundai because they did this. He said it is a couple hundred each year and he has had his car for 3 or 4 years now. LOL;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL at that rate they will go bankrupt

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wonder if because we pay the "gas guzzler" tax we are prohibited from going after manufacturer on fuel claims???

5. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IDK, I have never fell into the regular driving category. I am lucky to get 15 mpg. I like to see how fast I can get from my office to the gym in a quarter mile and if the light is green, I am on it!!! I never bought a MOPAR for the fuel mileage. LOL;)

6. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right.......
    I just love pumping gas every other day. Like my Ram 2500 eats it up.

7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah that's how we should do it just pump and go and forget being green to a certain extent lol it's not like we have a choice

8. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my Ram is "Green"

"Emerald Green Metallic" that is

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol I was waiting for the punch line and yep there it is

10. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I only drive 6.5 miles a day round trip so I can get a tank a week with screwing off on weekends!!! My Hellbaby requires the spendy stuff so it might cost a bit more each week, but totally worth it. I doubt my mileage will be much different except on this special track weekends! Plus, I always run into guys at the gas station who like my car so I get to talk about how awesome it is! PUNCH IT, they will make more! LOL;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I had to commute with an H/C I'd have to fill it twice a day... Probably replace the tires monthly... o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No worries Canada doesn't get them

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read an article recently that said that the majority of fuel consumption figures for these so called green cars is utter BS. We've had a Smart Car in the family for 17 years. On our fourth. The current one is an 2008 Brabus Cab that averages 30mpg from its 3 cylinder 1 litre turbo. What a joke. The previous 2003 Brabus averaged 50mpg. So why do we own a Smart. You will always find a place to park. No one will damage it or try and steal it. If we go out for the evening and have a few beers we can leave it and not care about it one iota. Pick it up the next day. I'm glad they have been fined. They should stuff a few more of these BS companies as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1