Ethanol Free Gas

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by FLdiva, Apr 3, 2015.

1. FLdiva

FLdiva Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi guys and gals,

I got my Cat last week and drove her home, about 1400 blissful miles! I noticed a gas station here had Ethanol-free gas. I've had other high performance cars and always used a fuel injector cleaner due to the ethanol gumming things up. So, to me for this car, using ethanol-free gas makes total sense. In addition, you get improved gas mileage due to the fact you are getting a more pure "burn" as far as combustion goes.

Has anyone else used ethanol-free gas? If so, are there any negative aspects to using this fuel?

Thanks!!!!!
    Smitten Kitten

2. Badass69

Badass69 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ethanol won't gum anything up ever unless it's causing something in the fuel system of the vehicle to break down and plug up things. It's an alcohol, more of a solvent than anything. I use ethanol laced 94 octane gas in my 322 John Deere garden tractors stock fuel system. That tractor was built in 1992... I had all of it's fuel system apart to clean physical crud that fell in the filler neck over the last 23 years and you know what it looked like? Spotless... cleaner than any gas alone system I have had apart. If you see an engine run exclusively on E85 the pistons won't even have any carbon build up on top them worth noting..... it's that clean.

Is your mileage better without ethanol.... yep. It doesn't carry as much energy per unit volume as gasoline. If you are tuned for e10 or E15 as all new cars are pure gas will maybe net some better mileage..... and that's about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wish we were flex fuel. E-85 is cheap racing gas. You need to burn more fuel, but it has more octane and burns cooler. And, FYI ethanol don't gum. I had a tune for my gen1 6.1L done for E-85. It was on the ragged edge of delivering enough fuel without hardware changes. It did work good, dyno numbers were impressive and the one day I took it to the track it made a out 4-5 passes darn near identical at 13.0 sec. That tune had more torque than all other tunes I had on regular gas. My Tahoe is flex fuel, it loves E-85 with the Diablo tune installed. The Cat would chew through E-85 with joy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Badass69

Badass69 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know.... i want to run my turbo LS build on E85 but it's not feasible here as there is no such thing as E85. Flex fuel vehicles bought here are useless to have the capability as no service station sells it. You can get it in drums but that's not practical lol. Any forced induction build does well with... or high compression build n/a. Like mentioned it cools and it has octane rating higher than pretty well any pump fuel available. It's not apparently as high as high as people say which is usually 105 octane but more like 96 octane. Either way it's a great upgrade if available in your area if you are looking for power!

5. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Www.buyrealgas.com

Unfortunately, none are near me.....my older cars would love me for it if I could get it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another site that lists ethanol free gas custom_bumper_sticker.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. hemiguy

hemiguy Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just fueled mine up with non ethanol for the winter, I've used it on my other summer toys and it supposedly alleviates the need for STA BIL, and I haven't had any problems. The cat will be sitting for several months with the battery out. Comments please

• Like Like x 1