Ethanol or non ethanol for the Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Red Harley, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have tried to find out whether it is better to use non ethanol or 10% ethanol gas in the Hellcat. All I have been able to find is above 91 octane. No mention of the fact that most stations in our area only have 87 and above with 10% ethanol.
    Found out the hard way not to run any ethanol in my boat motor as it had to be totally reworked after one tank of the ethanol was used in it. ( warranty took care of it)
    Can you run the 87 octane non ethanol with a gas treatment to boost the octane to 91 or above?
    The station we use had non ethanol 91 which we have use since day one. They are now switching to all ethanol gas and only 87% non ethanol.

2. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you have a choice, non-ethanol is better. Remember, you should try to run at least 91 octane (higher is better if that's an option) in your HC. Around here, the PetroCan and Husky 94 octane (10% ethanol) is no better than the non-ethanol 91 (Esso/Shell) available

I would also stay away from the octane boost as well, if you have any other options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can run ethanol, boat motors are different. Car engines are now made to run it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks I will just have to drive farther to get a better choice in gas.
    Had a man ( station owner) tell me just buy the boost and add it in to compensate. But I figured we had better get opinions from other owners on here first.
    Appreciate the help!

5. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Concur with CubeMan. Clearly the best choice is to find the best/highest Octane rating possible and use it...IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i swear mine ran better on 10% 93 then it did on pure 91... not worth the extra .60 a gallon IMHO

7. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does pure burn hotter though causing more engine heat. My m6 use to shoot up to 225-228 after 5 mins or 25 mph driving

8. DodgeMan

DodgeMan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So the consensus is not to worry about the ethanol in the fuel?

9. DodgeMan

DodgeMan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I've also read you can get better gas mileage...
    How much better we talking? 1? 2? 3mpg?

10. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope to be able to log knock retard on the Cat when it gets here. Logging knock retard on the current 09 SRT, I found I needed 95 octane to eliminate knock retard in hot weather. 90 octane pure gas was horrible causing even LT KNK retard which is worse that ST (Short Term) knock retard. 93 octane (10% ethanol) from BP was the best of the readily available fuels.

11. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I avoid it ( ethanol ) I am forced to drive 2 countys away for Ethanol free fuel.

Ethanol will make some cheap HP but the downside is huge. short shelf life.
    corrosive, ruins small engines, eats some rubber/composite fuel lines.

Yes new cars are made for it but a vehicle like a hellcat could ( due to weather) be forced to set in a garage for weeks or months. If you have a tank of 10% ethanol you better have some darn good additives in it.

I you custom tune your cat for E85 you probably weighed the pros and cons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Red Harley

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know on my boat motor one tank full ate up all the rubber hose, fuel lines and the gaskets they had to completely rework the whole motor.
    I was there when the mechanic stripped it down. Made me sick.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i thought ethanol gas helps the HP.....i dont care during the summer...prefer to run 93 w/ ethanol....but come Fall i start putting 91 ethanol free in to store it....never store with ethanol gas.....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. Can't believe the stuff I just read. Totally anacdotal accounts.

Couple small facts here without sounding like a teacher.

First as was said earlier Ethanol 10 (10%) has been nationwide (particularly in the mudwest) since early 2000s. Detroit iron is tuned for it , provided you receive the recommended octane.

Second fuel rated at 91 octane super unleaded is containing an additive to enhance octane known as MTBE. In 10% 91 Super there is no MTBE (that is what the ethanol is for). If both fuels are Fresh they are equal in terms of anti knock index (which is what the 91 number is basically telling you).

I would add to this that while the 10% ethanol Super is more Oxygenated that you get slightly more power from it than you would on MTBE 91 (non ethanol super). It's chemistry, not dyno here but we're going off track.

Trick with ethanol (Untreated ): it can't be stored long periods without phase seperation. This leads to unusable fuel in most cases. Seperation begins roughly 6 weeks old.

So if you store your car with ethanol just add some ethanol storage juice and it will stay in solution (reduce phase seperation ) until your ride gets out of storage. A bottle of treatment (there are 5 or 6 good ones made for ethanol) will treat around 100 gallons of gas so stick some in your lawn mower,weedwacker,boat etc....

As for ethanol eating your hoses: maybe your 70s musclecar. Not your new post 2005 detroit iron. Especially in a fuel injected system: safe.

Ethanol fuel not friendly around water. It will absorb a qty of water so it's not as friendly around marinas as MTBE fuel in addition to fact it won't store as long in smaller out-of-the-way low traffic count marinas that just can't rotate their fuel inside the safe window ethanol likes to operate in.

Ranted on too long but tried to convey some sense to you.

I got no trouble putting fresh 93 ethanol in my Cat. No additives. But come winter I'll add some fuel stabil to my full tank (store them FULL to reduce condensation) before I slide the cover over her for winter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ethanol gas doesnt last long (small engine guys say 2 weeks when i bring in my small engines with issues and often its gas related)

Ethanol has water issues....thats why i wouldnt store my HC with it inside....lucky im right at the county line where i can drive 20 minutes and get ethanol free for winter...

glad someone else thinks Ethanol boosts performance slightly too.....ive read that several times over the years.....

• Like Like x 1