Every SuperCharger will fail...maybe!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Dec 30, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That statement comes from someone I trust back in NY and yes, they work for FCA.

The bearings on 2015 and 2016 Hellcat Superchargers are defective and are prone to premature failure. It's no big deal if it happens at 30K and 3 years, but a bit scary for those who plan to keep their cars for longer.

No engine mods for me! I love this car, but I'm hoping for a GT-R or something equally radical next year. I don't think this is a big deal. Lots of high power cars have issues like this, so it goes with the territory. Plus, we do have warranty options that protect the investment. If my SC goes, I'll be thrilled to get a new one!

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another "the skys falling" thread....How many more bad supercharger threads do we need? Only a very small % have failed so I doubt it is an epidemic..

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. Blackbeast

Blackbeast Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Honestly what did we expect from crappy ole dodge....
    Also what did we expect from a car over 700 Hp...
    I am just glad I purchased the car for 53,500 and I only owe 23k ...
    I have 1 more year on the warranty so I will be making a decision .. either keep the car expecting another 10k to come out of my pocket someday or sell this hot mess before my warranty goes out....

I have to wonder if I would rather a car half the price, more reliable and that is a corner carving true sports car, or keep this money pit....simply because it is the meanest baddest looking car on the planet and the bragging rights of a rarely used and hard to apply 700 hp++ .....????

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Plum 16

Plum 16 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    These threads are ridiculous

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Crappy ole dodge?

Well I don't agree with that. We're actually driving what may be the most reliable 700 hp car around. Even though I was looking at Lambos and Astons, they're FAR FAR FAR worse than our Dodge cars. I had two transmissions in the M5, so spare us the "crappy old dodge" routine!

A Dodge Hellcat or Viper...Pedigree machines and more reliable than most.

But your SC will explode and kill the dog! :cool:

R.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. CDNHellcat

CDNHellcat Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, some of you crack me up, you buy a domestic muscle car for under 80,000 that puts out an insane amount of power. Many of you beat the crap out of the car and no issue then a small percentage have issues and now it is a crappy car.
    I would suggest that those of you with such high expectations and deep pockets go buy something more expensive the will meet your expectations because Nissan, Porsche, BMW and others have of course no issues.

I would really be interested to see a car close to this price range that offers what this car has with no problems. I have a buddy with a Tesla P85D and he is taking it in all the time. The point I'm making is that all brands have issues I guess I just surprised at the level of candy bleep wining going on.

Novel concept maybe start looking at the glass have full than always empty either enjoy your ride or sell it. I would be nice if we had productive topics for our rides about mods, electronic or other cool things. Lately whenever I come on this site it seem to be whinny posts.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Truth ^^^ every expensive car that I have owned has been a money pit POS.....from my M3 with a S65 engine that had connecting rod bearing clearance issues that caused those engines to explode, to the Z06 with valve train issues that caused the engines to explode ....if you deal with allot of power you have to pay to play. I know however cars like a Nissan 370z have virtually no issues ....so if you are okay with half the power, better handling and paying 1/2 the cost its a great alternative. So their is a trade off....unsure where I am on this balancing act ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. zone 5

zone 5 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At least you don't void the warranty using launch control in the Hellcat. and you get to spend about 80% less

9. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    GTR's have transmission failures which I have read are way more expensive to fix than a 7k Whipple replacement! Just another high cost money pit...

10. zone 5

zone 5 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If this was true, there would be a lot more failures which would equal a bunch of S/C sold based on about 28K 2015/16 cars sold. Ask your friend how many S/C's Dodge is selling per month.....

11. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This may not be as "crazy" and "sky is falling" as you think.

If this turns out to be wide-spread enough, they should RECALL every one of these cars and slap CORRECTED superchargers on them free of charge!

I was sitting in a McDonald's drive-thru on my way to work, waiting to buy a delicious hot beverage, when I distinctly heard the tell-tale "whrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound coming from the supercharger at idle that we've seen in the failed bearing videos. It sounded EXACTLY like in the videos, but not as loud as some of them.

The brick wall next to me was reflecting the sound so I could hear it louder than I normally would. I'm going to go and investigate further and maybe take a video of it to see if it sounds normal.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep....thinking many people were not even aware of it, now someone is having a problem and posting up every week...hopefully Dodge will recall them but I am guessing they wont....all the problems I have seen in other cars that I mentioned from the BMW M3, Z06, GTR, + Ford mustangs cylinder #8 failure, WRX STI ringland failure....none of them were recalled and the consumer ate it unless they had a warranty and they had to fight to get it fixed....
    I expect more and more but at least ours is not the engine and its just the supercharger...I would much rather have the supercharger which will warn us in advance then the engine ...so from that stand point were lucky...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like I said in other threads, if this is true, Stiegemeier and other companies that repair/rebuild superchargers are going to stay busy for a few years. I am guessing they could rebuild the supercharger for around 1K.

Does anyone know how long it takes to remove the supercharger from this engine?

I know on the GT500's you could swap out superchargers pretty easily in 3-4 hours.

14. zone 5

zone 5 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yup, they do. right after you use their launch control, which by using you void the warranty. and you get to spend over $100K for this.

15. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

This statement is so many things...

Just vague enough to not be challengeable...

Sorry, I guess I've got to say that if you can't back this up, it should be kept under wraps. The topic is just too volital to bait everyone like this.

Thread title is just a half a step away from click-bait as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1