Everyday Driver

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by 707252jh, Sep 27, 2015.

1. 707252jh

707252jh Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and haven't really looked around too much but from what I have seen it looks like most people are just using their hellcat for a weekend warrior or Sunday driver kind of vehicle. Anyone using the car as an everyday driver, poor weather conditions included, have any advice or experiences to share would be awesome. I'm picking the black a8 hellcat up tomorrow but I'm planning on using it as a daily driver. Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

2. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You don't say where you live, how much you have to drive everyday, etc. This has a big influence on whether the Cat would be a reasonable daily driver. If you live where there is ice/snow in the winter you need a good set of winter tires. I have driven much less capable vehicles (no traction control, no ABS, no ESP, etc) for many years in in-climate weather but don't care to do it anymore.

3. 707252jh

707252jh Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live in southern Illinois. It would be driven around 8,000 miles per year. I already have a set of winter tires picked out I'm just trying to find decent wheels. I'm not sure how many miles per day, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 40 miles total per day.

4. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got mine 11/9 and currently have 14,000 miles. Driven every day including nasty Michigan Winters. Blizzaks are a must but the Cat does well in the snow with the proper shoes.

ARCTIC CAT!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. 707252jh

707252jh Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's awesome! I'm glad to see other people driving these cars like they were meant to be. What has been done to the car mechanically at 14,000? Does it need brakes yet or are they scheduled to be changed at 30,000 like other vehicles?

6. 707252jh

707252jh Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also what wheels did you get for your winter tires? Thank you very much for the information!

7. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Normal maintenance and stock wheels for the snows

8. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Juuuuuuuuuuuuuust remember, if you're going to be brave and take the 'Cat out in the snow; it won't take much for some knob to slide into the back of you, etc.

My ORIGINAL plan was to rock the 'Cat 365 days a year but I started thinking twice after seeing how difficult it would be to replace a Sublime 6-speed (only 130 in the country, I'm assuming all sold).

Don't think I could live with myself if something winter-related happened to this car!

Not to mention, I rocked my 6.1L and 392 Challengers in the winter with snow tires and, though they WERE surprisingly good all things considered, the snow I had to drive over to get into driveways and such did a number on the lower side-skirts/fascia's.

My Hellcat will be sleeping indoors all winter (which is a shame because I was really looking forward to using the heated seats, steering wheel and turning the HP down to 300/valet for those snowy days)

9. 707252jh

707252jh Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good points. I'm just trying to get all the information possible and make an informed decision.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My opinion (for what it's worth) is if you can AFFORD to get a winter car... DO IT.

If not, then rock what ya got. I'll be puttzin' around in an SRT-4 Caliber this winter. I figure by spring I will REALLY appreciate the Hellcat!

11. dhg66

dhg66 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i am daily driving mine but will put it away for the winter, not worth getting it gunked up with slush and stuff, dragging snow and salt into the car, potential for rusting and not to mention the 1st icing day when that other guy loses control in your direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i wouldnt drive it in the winter.....i speak from experience that landed mine in a ditch......with stock P1's it wont even move in snow....i know your getting snow tires, but the TC may not even be setup to handle snow......most people dont choose a 740hp drag car as their winter car......id buy a beater for snow days

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Find a Honda Civic. Cheap to maintain, they are all over the place, or an older Mazda 3. Hell I have 3 Daily drivers, Honda civic, Del sol, and miata. All salvage titles, property taxes are nothing, and they are all working on 300, 000 on the odometer. They just don't die. And if in a fender bender, who cares?
    My .02

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [​IMG]
    Great pic winner!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. jtcarlsen67

jtcarlsen67 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Picked my Charger up in Detroit Friday of Easter Weekend; drove it back to NY for break in period and its my daily driver for 8 months a year. So ive just turned 13000 on it but it will be garaged 12/1 to 4/1. Mostly because of salt and stuff they use on the roads here in the NE. I have a Nitro as my back up for the winter. Been through several oil changes and tire rotations and some TSB fixes and that's all that has been needed up to now. For winter will be battery tender, fuel stabilizer and max inflate tires prior to storage.