Expectations of High Horse Power builds and limitations

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Builds' started by Top Cat, May 9, 2016.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had some spirited conversations with a few of late on the disappointments they have in their builds, no vendor is exempt nor the software being used, some issues I can blame the tuner because of no or little experience in tuning a hellcat but for the few that are asking for 950 plus in RWHP there are limitations that will take time to sort out, the main culprit being torque management, these two words break down to a lot of different things but the shops generally use these words because" they really have no answer for what's going on" and for the most part some don't, some have a better understanding but don't have the information to make changes. This is where" ALL" of the big HP cars are sitting, every one of them, different shops, different tuners, no exceptions and if someone tells you otherwise they are not telling you the truth or you are not listening to what they are telling you. Some of us understand the process, others don't and that's why I'm posting this up, 900 RWHP is a great number for the vast majority and will give consistent high 9's but the moment you go past that number all bets are off, be prepared to be unhappy, this is nothing new to the modern hemi platform, we all went through this with the 6.1, then the 6.4, so now the 6.2 hellcat is on the list.

Point blank ask the shop if they can deliver what you want, ask have they done this before and most importantly ask if they will go to the track to dial in the tune or can do this from data they have from previous customer builds, what good is a dyno sheet if the car can't make it past the first 60 feet.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can attest to this as well...when the Hellcat first came out, there were many tables in the tuning that nobody had access to yet...it was easy to pull more power out of the car, but the bypass valve would keep opening up during dyno testing/tuning. The tuners got past that hurdle to the extent that we are at now, which has been fantastic. We have seen these cars do incredible things for the size and weight. For me, stopping at 791whp was enough power for me and what I use the car for. I have zero issues because my tuning is spot on. Hemituner is the mastermind behind my tuning...he's a guy I have trusted for years, and the only one I trust doing brain surgery on the car. I have followed a lot of his advice on which direction to go with the car, because he has experience...that's the key. I know he would never lead me in the wrong direction and do something that would be a danger to both the car and myself. Top Cat is correct...make sure you do your research, have a goal for your car, and set up a proper plan to get there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks TC! so very true...

The mechanicals are the easy part...getting them to work properly under today's computer controls is a whole different story. Certainly has changed...from days of old.

Now it's 70% brain (computer/sensors) and 30% brawn (mechanicals)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    John you are spot on with advise for getting an experienced Mopar tuner. Some think that if a tuner has a great reputation tuning Fords and GMs he will be great at Mopars. Not so as many of us have learned over the years. Mopars are a completely different animal. Since I started using Hemituner years ago might expectations have always been satisfied.

Another thing is to not get caught up with dyno numbers. A dyno is a great tuning tool but the numbers it produces does not always pan out at the track. The track numbers are a much better way of calculating true HP..

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When it comes time to work on my car. I will be visiting one of you guys. I am from Allentown.
    I expect that if i did my research, i can get my car Safely worked on by experienced shops like i read on this site.
    Taking it to a tuner who does not know the Mopar side of things would not be a good choice in the first place.

Your experience will be golden for me. I would expect to get the shaft (Aluminum that is) from one of you along
    with a pulley and tune. I am looking for over this winter months to start on things.
    Glad to have talked to you guys here first and read first hand how good you handle things.

Matt

6. mggsrt8

mggsrt8 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Goingsolo2, did your tuner increase your rev limit or did you leave it at 6000 rpm?

7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not planning on any kind of mods like this. If I ever considered this I would look to TC for advise and hire you on my race team as a consultant. I appreciate all of your knowledge on the site and others as well to provide very good information for all of us.

8. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, it's increased slightly.

9. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good stuff to know if I decide to do a warranty delete. Or should I say "when"?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Whalecat

Whalecat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Very true TC. I admire what You and Linda have done for the research. Josh really knows his stuff. He is spot on when he sends a tune and gives a number. Did you get Bogarts in yet?

11. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bogarts have been a disaster, came in wrong and no bead locks, I'm ready to put the car back to Linda's tune and let my daughter Kate run it.....

12. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks John. Your lead is what brought me to where I'm at. Was able to disseminate all the info to make a decision. After a certain point you start riding a fine line of being completely satisfied or constantly having her in the shop getting fixed or trying to coax another 10th out of her. I'm not that guy. I'm that guy that just wanted a little extra to put me over the top. My expectations were met and actually exceeded. I know Dynojets read a little higher than others but I didn't expect to see over 800. Now to get her to the track to see what those ponies will do for her 6 speed ass. Thanks brother. Cheers.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thank all of u folks!! Im just glad u decide and are willing to help any one of us on this site!! Always top notch advice and direction!! Thank u!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Whalecat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Oh man, I hate to hear that. What was up with the Bogarts?

15. Whalecat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 4