Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Harts, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Harts

Harts Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like with any luck I will have my car within a week! Time to think about an extended warranty. I plan on keeping the car at least 5 years, maybe longer depending on whats going on in the automotive world and what I think I have to have.

So what are thoughts on an extended warranty? With the electronics I am leaning towards getting something. What have or are you doing in this respect?

Thanks

2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got 7/70 on my last SRT. If it's not a daily driver, you will hit the time cutoff way before the mileage. I'm only at 27K and it's mostly long road trips.

If you decide later on to do it and get a quote online, ignore the first offer. They'll contact you again with a better one once they figure out your not biting ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not generally an extended warranty kind of guy. I believe in putting some cash aside and taking my lumps.

With that said, I thought an extended warranty on the Hellcat would make sense. Lots of high dollar mechanical items and a lot of fancy electronics.

The only warranty I would consider is the Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar Maximum Care.

I opted for the Maximum Care 7/70, 0 deductible (options are 0, 50 and 100). I also got 7 year tire and wheel protection (need to read the fine print on this one but they basically will replace or repair damaged tires down to 2/32 and replace rims that are damaged so they won't balance with some maximum limits).

I shopped a bunch of dealers local and online. I bought from www.factoryplans.com (this place is a Dodge dealer in MI).

This place is a class act. Price was very good and the service was EXCELLENT. I quoted it out, got and immediate phone call. Asked a few questions, bought it online and was issued the policy online (PDF for me to print) in less than 15 minutes. The guy behind this Bob Cline was a class act.

I bought mine about 3 weeks after buying the car (bought two days ago in fact, paid off the CC today).

Edit: The local dealers were almost twice the price. I'm guessing this is a sliding scale based on volume and these online guys are moving a lot of paper. Local dealer couldn't even come close (or didn't want to). Even the dealer where I bought my car in VA wasn't even in the ballpark (almost double what I paid).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. CanuckH3llKat

CanuckH3llKat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm looking at doing an extended warranty as well. I think its different here in Canada, I think the factory extended is the only extended you can get. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!!! lol

5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got 7/60 if it's meant to last it will

6. LelandJim

LelandJim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are other forums full of locations, pricing and opinions.
    I used chryslerwarrantydirect.com for pricing better than the dealers can provide...for identical coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Correct, we have less choices/options up here, all are way more expensive

• Like Like x 1
  8. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Are you doing extended warranty on yours?

9. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not the day I purchase. I believe we have until the standard warranty is about to expire to purchase an extended one. I could be wrong, and this will be part of the conversation I have with the dealer and potentially finance company over the next week or so.

10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As the mileage goes up there are some modest surcharges that get applied. I think (not sure) the first surcharge may be over 12K miles. Don't quote me on that. Check into them though.

For the US base folks. The site I mention above has an option to download the warranty for viewing. This was the only site I recall that had a copy of the warranty readily available. I read it before I purchased.

Also, my opinion of course, but if you are going to get a warranty get the Chrysler backed warranty vs an aftermarket warranty. The factory warranties tend to be better and the dealers know how to work with them without any BS.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate the forewarning. I'll look into it. Since I have under 15,000 km on the 2012 SuperBee, I'll have to weigh all this against any surcharges

12. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is also a surcharge for the Hellcat LOL. I think it was called a class 2 vehicle or something like that. Check out that website above. Even if you are in Canada you can get an idea of some of these things. It is probably similar.

13. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the Hellcat has a surcharge on top of the extended warranty through Dodge, I know this for sure. I was just wondering if there was another company other than Dodge to do it through?

14. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Let me know what you hear, I'm curious if it can be put off till the warranty is about to expire.

15. Harts

Harts Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree, if I get a warranty it will be backed by Chrysler. I worked with Firestone for 20 years and the run of the mill
    aftermarket warranties have a lot of loop holes in them for the customer and repair facility. The loop holes just cost us, the consumer with more out of pocket when we thought we had a warranty.