Exterior Care

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by ChallengerDad, Oct 5, 2014.

1. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would suggest when you get your Hellcat home, that you perform the following on your car's finish (and plan on it taking an entire day):

First, wash it with Dawn for dishes (to strip off any oils/wax that are on the new paint).

Rinse it with clear water and towel it dry with a high quality microfiber towel.

Then give it a clay bar treatment to remove impurities in the paint.
    The paint is still soft for the first few weeks after "birth', and especially for those of us who have our cars shipped by rail, rail dust can imbed itself in the fresh pain / clear coat. Rail dust (especially on white cars) is extremely noticeable and damaging to the finish. There are a number of makers of fine clay bar kits.
    ***to test to see if you need to do a clay bar treatment, after washing and toweling dry your car, place your hand inside a clean baggie and slowly and lightly rub the baggie over the finish of the car. if the baggie "snags" or drags at all, there are impurities in the paint, and you should do a clay bar treatment.***
    The trick to doing this step is to keep it wet with detail spray or diluted wax. This glides the clay over the finish without "dragging". ***IF you drop the clay bar, throw it away! It WILL have stones and grit from the ground embedded in it, and will SCRATCH your finish!*** Get another new / clean bar and continue with the treatment.

After the clay bar treatment is done (and it WILL take a while to do the entire car), re-wash the car with Dawn for dishes and again (to remove the detail spray / diluted wax from the clay bar treatment process), rinse with clear water and towel it dry.

I then apply a coat of Zaino ZFX and Z5 Pro. This is an outstanding polish that will leave an incredibly smooth finish on your paint. A dry microfiber towel placed on a "Zaino'd" finish will slide right off of the car. Zaino can only be purchased online directly from Zaino.com.

The final step is to apply a coat of your favorite wax. I won't start or get into a debate over which is the best. My personal favorite is Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba paste wax.

***NEVER wash or wax your car in direct sunlight*** Always work in the shade - even if it takes an extra day. It will eliminate water spots from forming, and make your job much easier!

Don't overlook the door sills and jambs, as well as the jambs and sills in the engine bay and trunk!

I do these steps twice each year - when the car first comes out of storage from the winter, and about midway through the summer / car show season.
    I hope this helps some of the fine folks here to protect their Hellcat's finish and always keep it looking it's best.
    :cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks ChallengerPops for this useful info. It is informative and I hope some other members find this useful as well as share their methods as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This was great info. I detailed cars all through college and I picked up some tips I had not heard before! Greatly appreciate the info.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thomas C Kennedy

Thomas C Kennedy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm still debating when to ship it from Ohio to Philly or drive it. I plan on taking secondary roads to keep away from large trucks and stones. Any special care need to be taken after a 450 mile drive. Or is it best to trailer to my home?

5. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's entirely your decision. I'm driving mine from Columbiana, Ohio to Bethlehem, New York (near Albany). It's a 500 mile drive for me. I know if I had it shipped, I'd to want to take it out when it got here anyway. Can't think of a better excuse to drive it during the winter than taking delivery. Of course it may sit a day or two at the dealership until the weather is cooperative..... I won't bring it home in or on the heels of a storm - when the salt is still spraying around.
    I'll give it a really good hot bath / under-body steaming once it's home - and again, when the weather cooperates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am hoping everyone has good weather for their Hellcat drive home!!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed! :D

8. Thomas C Kennedy

Thomas C Kennedy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll be picking mine up from Columbiana too. I figured the drive back would be a good way to do the break-in. I figure back roads will help me keep it a little slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Back roads would be a good idea when the weather is favorable..... Otherwise, better "snow removal" efforts are made (and usually better driving conditions) on the Interstates. Much safer for you and your new Cat.
    I'm not worried about "going slow" unless the weather sucks. I'll be banging through the gears frequently so I don't "break it in" at a constant 65 mph / 1200 RPMs. I varied the RPMs/gear selection bringing my '09 home, and it's been a beast the entire time I've owned it - no problems with the engine or gearbox whatsoever.

10. Tspoon

Tspoon VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will let the paint cure for a few months. I use rain x car wash and never
    use Dawn or dish washing liquids. I also use a clear terry cloth towel to
    dry it off. Never wash in the sun and always dry off immediately after
    washing. For polish, I use Liquid Glass, no streaks. I never use wax,
    as it builds up over time and you have to cut it after every two or three times of waxing. Another trick is that I use, is a soft toothbrush to remove
    any polish in the crook and crannys. It takes me a full day to detail the outside and inside of the car. I also use RainX on the outside glass.
    Different tire dressings are out there and wheels done right really set the car off. Take your time and do it right, the results will pay off.
    My New Hellcat will be a weekend warrior and not a daily driver.
    Everyone has their own shine strategies, what ever it is, take pride in
    your new ride and keep it clean when time to get dirty revenge
    on the competition.

Only my personal opinion and enter at your own risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sounds great, everyone has their way of doing things. Hope to see some pics of a polished hellcat soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good stuff! I keep a detail kit in my trunk at all times!! In Washington you have to be cleaning something all the time. I spend an entire day on my car too! My neighbors think I am a bit obsessed when it comes to my car, but my baby looks better than any others in the neighborhood.;)

13. Tspoon

Tspoon VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah probably around Febuary Ground Hog day if I am lucky

14. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man, I hope it is before that!! Sending Good Luck your way with a dash of Hopes and Dreams! ;)

15. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    cool, my fiance's birthday that day. Go ground Hogs day but of course i hope you get your vette, porsche, GTR, mustang, camaro killer sooner than that.

• Like Like x 3