Factory air box flip for quick cold air conversion

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by weebz, Jan 24, 2016.

1. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay I'm a newbie and I haven't read all the historical post and I've only had my Hellcat two week, please don't chime in if this is already been done or over done. I have read a few post about cold air intakes and have done a little research online. As I continue to look at the hood vent opening it lines up perfectly with the factory air box. But that hood vent openings does nothing for cold air as the factory air box is sealed on the top. So I decided to do a little bit of tinkering with a couple screwdrivers. I took the top of the airbox off mainly to see what the air filter looks like and to see if I could modify or cut holes in the top of that factory air box so the hood vent would actually be functional with the air box. But what I came up with was actually better than that. I disconnected the wire to the mass air sensor and loosened the hose clamp on the air box tube. I then simply rotated the top half of the air box 180 degrees. I had to snake the mass air sensor wire to a lower position to where it would reach the mass air sensor location on the air box tube which is now on the bottom. After a little bit of moving around the top half of the air box now upside down and sitting inside the bottom half of the air box. I then put the air filter on and dropped the hood. The air filter nestles right there at the hood vent grille for a pretty tight seal.
    Immediately took it out for a spin I can't say what the horsepower gains were but I can say I noticed a difference. The biggest joy of all was the amazing sound that came out of the supercharger. If you want your supercharger loud and be to heard you gotta try this. The difference in noise it's got to be somewhere excess of 100%. Ok now for all the disclaimers like I said I'm a newbie, if this is already been done don't beat me up for if it. If indeed I am the one the first one to do this then give credit where credit's due. Also don't blow this thread up talking about water getting in there. This car will never be driven in the rain, none of my last 3 NuGen Pony Cars ever saw rain. The beauty of this is it literally takes 3 minutes to do so that means it only takes 3 minutes to put it back to original. It works and it sounds amazing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I applaud your originality but I wouldn't want my air filter exposed to the elements like that. That would severely limit travel plans unless you don't mind changing an airbox under a bridge in the event of rain. I also don't intentionally drive my car in the rain but I've been caught by surprise a few times. Not sure it's worth it for some extra sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SuperChallenger

SuperChallenger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That hood "vent" is a heat extractor, you're right, it has nothing to do with cold air intake, that system is the headlight hole (air catcher) supplemented by the lower box bottom.
    The heat extractor design works with the body lines of the car when the car is in motion to (syphon) air from under hood to the outside of the car. Its not a scoop, but resides in slight depression with forward edge flaring, ie (turbulent) low pressure zone, aerodynamically speaking. You wont be pushing or pulling any air INTO the intake track at speed, but rather pulling air OUT of the intake....this is far from advisable, even if you do not starve the engine of airflow due to airflow coming in from other entry points, you wont be adding cold air what so ever, nor extracting warm air on that side. Its a loss/loss. This is not a guess, its pretty basic automotive aerodynamics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    weebz I think you are on to something here. I do agree with SuperChallenger though that currently as it sits it is a loss/loss (unless you are counting the additional SC sound as a gain) that doesn't mean more can't be done to finish out the idea. I think if a scoop was added to the hood and extra molding was added to under the hood so the filter fit the hole better, it would see a lot more benefit than it sits now. The heat extractor hole that we are talking about has the potential to flow a whole lot more air than the tiny headlight hole does. Plus its a straight shot to the filter too, unlike the headlight hole.

5. toplescuda

toplescuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The air would never go into that scoop. If ya really want to see what's going on at speed. That a short peicse if ribbon and tie to the vent grill. Go take a short blast. And watch the ribbon. If it's blowing down towards the air box. Air will be going in. If blowing back toward the windshield. Air is coming out....put the air box back the way it was first before experiment

6. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I think you misunderstand a little. If you added a scoop it would catch the air and shove it into the hole at speed. The air pressure would be positive instead of negative and the air would not have anywhere to go but into the intake.

Yes you are correct if you leave it as is the air will be pulling the air out instead of the direction we want it to go. If you add a scoop though the air flow would be opposite and flow in the direction of where we want it to be.

7. toplescuda

toplescuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think a scoop would really grab much air. Or at least not have as much
    Effect as it had by going into the headlight in the first place
    With all the r and d done even wind tunnel testing. If it would of got more air from the hood area instead of headlight. That's how the cat would of came
    Also fresh cooled air can not pass and enter under the hood if the hot air can not escape

8. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Only way to know for sure is for someone to invest in some R&D and give it a try.

9. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FCA did plenty of hours of R&D with this vehicle already in before it was put in production. I'd say the way we currently have it from factory is the way it should be left to maximize results. Once you start "tinkering", you start potentionally causing more damage than you anticipated.

Leaving the filter exposed like that will do more damage than good, no matter which way it's faced, upside down, twisted, 60 degrees, 80 degrees, 360 degrees. It doesn't matter. Stock air box, with the top on it in its original place is better than anything else out there.

10. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Fixed it for ya. Fact is, something is only the best until something better is found. ...but keep your car all stock. I like the owners keeping everything original. It keeps the value of the cars up as a whole. Given 20 years I think these cars will depreciate to a mid 30 thousand dollar car or maybe even lower.

11. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depreciation value is another topic. But yes they will be a $30k thousand car in time. I wouldn't say 20 years, it will be sooner. Scary thought of it is, can you imagine 18-25 year olds with a 700hp car on the street? Scary thought. The age demographic will switch. Right now it's the opposite.

12. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Hopefully by then the cars will be so broken that the only people who own them are car guys....and hopefully that will limit the number of idiots that own them.

13. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree 100%, the "headlight hole" has a ram effect essentially funneling air into the intake system under positive pressure whereas the heat extractor was designed to create negative pressure and suck hot air out of the engine compartment with air passing over the hood and heat extractor opening. Not only is the OP depriving the engine compartment of heat extraction, he is further diminishing the ram effect of the factory cold air intake. I agree with the consensus - get it back to stock immediately. SRT spent many R&D hours/$ to maximize the power output and keep this power plant working at optimum temps.

• Agree Agree x 1