Factory air box flip

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by weebz, Jan 24, 2016.

1. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay I'm a newbie and I haven't read all the historical post and I've only had my Hellcat two week, please don't chime in if this is already been done or over done. I have read a few post about cold air intakes and have done a little research online. As I continue to look at the hood vent opening it lines up perfectly with the factory air box. But that hood vent openings does nothing for cold air as the factory air box is sealed on the top. So I decided to do a little bit of tinkering with a couple screwdrivers. I took the top of the airbox off mainly to see what the air filterlooks like and to see if I could modify orcut holes in the top of that factory air boxso the hood vent would actually be functional with the air box. But what I came up with was actually better than that. I disconnected the wire to the massair sensor and loosened the hose clamp on the air box tube. I then simply rotatedthe top half of the air box 180 degrees. I had to snake the mass air sensor wire to a lower position to where it would reach the mass air sensor location on the airbox tube which is now on the bottom.After a little bit of moving around the top half of the air box now upside down and sitting inside the bottom half of the air box. I then put the air filter on anddropped the hood. The air filter nestles right there at the hood vent grille for apretty tight seal.
    Immediately took it out for a spin I can't say what the horsepower gains were but I can say I noticed a difference. The biggest joy of all was the amazing sound that came out of the supercharger. If you want your supercharger loud and be to heard you gotta try this. The difference in noise it's got to be somewhere excess of 100%. Ok now for all the disclaimers like I said I'm a newbie, if this is already been done don't beat me up for if it. If indeed I am the one the first one to do this thengive credit where credit's due. Also don't blow this thread up talking about water getting in there. This car will never be driven in the rain, none of my last 3NuGen Pony Cars ever saw rain. The beauty of this is it literally takes 3minutes to do so that means it only takes 3 minutes to put it back to original. Itworks and it sounds amazing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I find what you post interesting.
    I run the stock air box with great success.
    I tested a Bwoody CAI No Gain and my hood on on that side was so hot it burnt my hand. After that test, I worried about my beautiful paint! I had it taken off.

So what I would like to know is are you going to take your car down the 1/4 mile? And use it for racing and change it back for Daily driving?
    Because I will believe a dyno tune is good for the knowledge that your car is ready for racing but "The Truth is told at the track"

Linda:)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You are all over it, but don't think you realize it. It is a vent ( releasing heat) not an intake(to bring cold air in). The biggest problem you will run into by design is water falling straight into your air box and getting sucked into the engine. If you only drive in the dry I'm certain there would be some gain. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very cool keep up the good work Weebz. it would be nice to Dyno it just to see.;)
    Bam Bam

5. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate your response but 2 of 3 replies mentioned water getting in the air box. I mentioned for a reason the car would never be driven in the rain, never means never. I'm not trying to be devicive here but I did ask to not blow this post up with water getting in the air box. Water will get in the factory cold air Inlet in the false headlight, the airbox does have bigt opening in the bottom for the purpose of water draining out and more are getting in. My car is garage kept and it gets driven on date night and Sunday drives, it will never go to the track. I think others will see how easy it is to do and there are power gaines and the fun noise from the supercharger. Everybody within 5 car links from you will hear it. You can convert it back in 3 minutes. My bet is that those who try it or who want a cold air intake could save several hundred dollars over this option.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can see it now. I guess my phone wasn't showing me them entire thread. Take care, and good luck.

7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So did you completely remove the lower part of the air box,,, can you post a few more pictures of your set up...I'm sure others would like to give it a try...

8. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No problem bro, I'm sure we'll talk again someday.

9. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did not remove the lower part of the air box. when you turn it upside down the top of the air box will fit inside the bottom of the air box which is still in place. it's just too easy to do, it's a kick in the pants and the sound is awesome you gotta try it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a thought, if you move the box 180 degrees, you are now effectively blocking the ram air hole in the front and swapping it for this big hole on the top of the hood, Correct? From what I have read about the hood and the aerodynamics of the front of the car, the 2 vents on either side of the scoop is in a low pressure area and creates basically a vacuum over that vent in order to suck out the hot air from the engine compartment. I actually saw this work one day after I got my car hand washed and I was driving home. Steam was coming out of those vents and flying over the car as I drove down the road.

Given that, how is air getting into the airbox if there's a low pressure zone right outside that vent, vs the high pressure created by the ram air in the front of the car with the factory hole?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Linda was that the AFE that you were running?

12. SuperChallenger

SuperChallenger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That hood "vent" is a heat extractor, you're right, it has nothing to do with cold air intake, that system is the headlight hole (air catcher) supplemented by the lower box bottom.
    The heat extractor design works with the body lines of the car when the car is in motion to (syphon) air from under hood to the outside of the car. Its not a scoop, but resides in slight depression with forward edge flaring, ie (turbulent) low pressure zone, aerodynamically speaking. You wont be pushing or pulling any air INTO the intake track at speed, but rather pulling air OUT of the intake....this is far from advisable, even if you do not starve the engine of airflow due to airflow coming in from other entry points, you wont be adding cold air what so ever, nor extracting warm air on that side. Its a loss/loss. This is not a guess, its pretty basic automotive aerodynamics.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you said it better than I did. I was thinking the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are not blocking the lower cold air hole, as the upper part of the box does not seal the lower part of the box when you flip it. The air filter virtually sits tight in contact with that hood vent, keep in mind the supercharger is sucking air the hole in the air box is about a quarter of the size of the hood vent. You're not getting ram air from the hood vent that you would get from the lower air box tube. Given that the air filter is right there at that hood vent and its a much larger inlet than the hole in the air box you're actually pulling more air out of the hood then you are out of the cold air tube. I'm not a expert by any means but I thought I would give it a shot seems to work all I can say is try it for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. weebz

weebz Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat