Factory tire balancing off?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Slowpoke387, May 12, 2016.

1. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I've had the new HC for a couple of wks now and am noticing a definite slight shimmy at 80mph. Up to 80 its fine and over 85 it goes away. Definitely points to a tire balancing issue to me. I noticed the red dot from Pirelli which i thought was supposed to mark the heavy spot and thought that was supposed to be aligned with the valve stem before balancing. Not sure about that though. Mine are not lined up with the stems at all but im not sure if that even matters.
    Kind of afraid to go to the local dealer and have some kid scratch my new wheels up trying to rebalance them. I know the local Town Fair manager well and hes a big Mopar guy so id rather go there. He'll do it for free. I guess my question is about those red dots. If theyre not lined up with the stems, is that a dead give away? Or a myth. Anyone else's line up or no...

*edit* so after looking pics of brand new rims and tires i see its not the valve stem but a mark or a sticker on the rim from the factory. Mine are long gone obviously so i'll never know now. Time to rebalance either way. Carry on lol.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    me too

3. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol you too what? Shimmy at 80?

4. Tom Warrick

Tom Warrick Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had that shimmy too. Balance, alignment, nothing fixed it. Dodge dealer replaced the stock Pirelli's and that fixed it.

5. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine shimmied at between 72 and 80mph. One of the front tires was off about 1/4 oz. Re balancing solved the problem.:D..no charge of course.....car had about 2700 miles on it when this was done.

6. LBH

LBH Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had the same issue. Dealer took care of it. No problem. Just needed rebalance of the two fronts. Rears were ok.

7. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Had all of my tires replaced. 3 out of 4 simply wouldn't balance well enough on a Hunter road force machine.

8. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shame on Dodge and Pirelli for giving out such shitty OEM tires. I have the shimmy at about 80-85MPH also. I am too anal to have the rims takes off and balanced. I have been avoiding the highway not because of the rim issue but I need to get my clear bra put on. The rims don't shake too bad and I am pretty much good to go going from 0-whatever on the backroads. :)

I was pleased in way to hear this is common thing wrong with alot of cars. When I re-tire the rears I will have all balanced.

That kind of pisses me off that they can't give you a car perfectly balanced out of the factory especially with this car's potential to do close to 200MPH. I think the blame lies more on the tires than Dodge but Dodge is slapping their logo on the car as a finished product.

My $0.02

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Trouble is that it's not just FCA/Dodge, my 08 G8 GT from Australia had to have the wheels/tires rebalanced since I had a slight shimmy in the wheel upon delivery. Those were 19" wheels with a Bridgestone Potenza tire. Something can be off with the machine from the factory so it wouldn't be surprising but you would think they would look into it a bit more. It's likely cheaper to deal with complaining customers than to do more QC though.

10. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am sure Dodge would have correcting things if I asked. Their support has been pretty good so far. I also just wanted to say I love this freaking car!!!!!

11. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Road force is a great idea. Anything higher than normal can be remounted in a diff position on rim.

Red dots is a great question and I am looking when I get home

12. Burren

Burren VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Noticed the same issue on my car. Between 70 and 80 mph. Glad I'm not the only one (not because I want others to have the issue, but because it's probably not something serious).

• Agree Agree x 2