Favorite tint film?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 16SRT, May 27, 2016.

1. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I'm interested in doing some tinting. Total newb on this, as I haven't had a car tinted since high school (25+ years ago), but I've been reading up on it. PA has a limit of VLT = 70%, which really puts a limit on keeping it legal. I'm not looking for full-on limo tint (this is my daily driver / want to see at night), but would have liked to have gone a little darker than 70% VLT. Oh well. Best I could do is search for something with low absorbtion, to max out VLR within the allowable 70% VLT.

Considering 3M Crystalline 70, but interested in what others have used, and how happy they are with the results. Also interested in performance of various electronics with some of the metallic films, esp. cell phone reception.

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Used 3m Crystalline. VA is 50% front side windows, 35% on rear. The 3m Crystalline product proves it doesn't have to be dark to be effective. No other product can compare on the performance numbers. The only thing close might be one of the high end Huper Optik films.

Overall it's a excellent product! Mine is a daily driver and visibility is great. Extremely happy with it and would do it again. Nothing better on heat rejection! A little more expensive than some of the others but the performance is well worth it.

3. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whatever you choose, be sure to have the installer to avoid having moisture get behind the dash. Several members had electrical issues. Search the forum for previous posts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    3M Crystalline is beaten by Llumar.

Pinnacle by Formula One is a separate brand of Llumar and is only sold and installed at carefully selected locations - not just any schmuck with a tint shop can sell/install the stuff. It has the highest level of thermal energy rejection in terms of equivalent VLT compared to other window tints... meaning, Pinnacle at say, 30% VLT will beat every other 30% film on the market in heat rejection. It is pricey stuff, but if you keep the car for awhile, just fork over the extra cash... I went with Llumar's highest brand called CTX which is close to Pinnacle, but still beaten by it. Llumar or Formula One's Air 80 is 80% VLT, a slightly blue tint, that is fantastic for windshields. Can't even tell it's there, but rejects nearly 50% of heat - incredible stuff.

Keep in mind whatever VLT of tint you choose, the factory glass is already 80% VLT - so you're stacking the tint VLT on top of 80% as is... your 50% tint now becomes 40%. Don't worry about legality - just avoid limo tint and you'll be fine.

Do NOT bother with dyed or metallic film. Dyed film performs the worst, but is the cheapest. Metallic is in the middle but affects radio signals. Ceramic performs the best and has no downsides.

EDIT: Also, the dash ordeal. Yes, inform them ahead of time. My installed used about 20 paper towel sheets and crammed them between the dash and windshield. Make sure they squeegee out as much fluid to the sides of the windshield, rather than down towards the dash as possible. There really is nothing to worry about as long as they are competent and aware. You'd really have to soak the tint and squeegee everything down into the dash for there to be a problem...

5. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    20151226_145739-1.jpg

limo tint

• Like Like x 1
  6. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks, guys. Keep it coming. Local shop I contacted uses Llumar CTX. Not looking for limo tint, since I think 50% will look best on a Granite Crystal Charger, anyway. Would line to see some Granite Crystal cars in tint, to confirm.

7. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Got mine done with expel xr film, 70% windshield, 20% rest.

20160527_133910.jpg

8. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

The shop that did it wants me back in a week just to look things over and make sure it is perfect.

9. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    50% is almost like no tint at all. I think you will really regret that. I had 5% limo before and hated it. Was awkwardly dark inside the car sometimes, and at night you can't see a damn thing.

15% is a good compromise. Still blocks a lot of heat and light, and gives good privacy, but is not blacked out by any means. 15% is about what you see as factory privacy glass on SUVs, minivans, etc. If you're really worried about being too dark, 30%/35% is the bare minimum I would go. Anything less is almost a waste.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The expel film at 70% blocks more heat than the older non-ceramic 20%. Films have come a long way in the last few years

• Like Like x 1
  11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Llumar ctx sides back air 80 front amazing what that does to heat and (for my vision) is amazing. Using air 80 blue on frint this time.

image-4.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    It's not just about heat. I can't stand riding in my friends' cars in the middle of a sunny day because it's just too damn bright. Borderline hurts my eyes. Plus the privacy factor. Not sure why a lot of people have an obsession with looking over at the person next to them when stopped. I almost never do that, but it seems every time I do, someone is staring at me... or maybe it's the car. LOL. Either way, plenty of benefits from darker film.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I Am Curious (Yellow)

14. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did extensive research on this before pulling the trigger. I short listed llumair and 3M crystalline. However after talking with various other car owners and installers, I settled for Suntek Carbon CXP(top of the line Suntek). Made in USA and awesome quality. 3m and llumair are no doubt the top dogs but too expensive for my needs. This was the perfect compromise. $450 out of the door including the windshield. Another thing I found out: Suntek and llumair/Formula one are owned by the same company: Eastman. Maybe the installer was blowing smoke and I stand corrected. Lol

I had 35% in front and 5%(limo) for the rear windows and rear windshield. Loved the look but I always wanted a uniform appearance and secondly I had a tough time backing up at night and figuring out what's behind me. Therefore had the rears changed and settled for 35 all around. Got the windshield tinted as well 80% CXP.

Tinting the windshield has made a world of difference especially when the sun goes down and it protects the dash from the harsh sun and the cabin temp feels cooler than before.

PS: 35% appears darker on black cars so think twice before going darker like 20 or 15%. Don't do too dark if your state laws are as harsh as they are here in Cali.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  15. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I paid a little over $300 for all windows, including windshield, with Llumar CTX and Air80. Was the best deal in town. Had some issues with the rear window... kept bubbling on the defroster lines. Had to reinstall back there 3 times before it finally set right.