FCA Reduces Powertrain Warranty For 2016 Models To 5 Years/60,000 Miles

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by CubeMan, May 28, 2015.

1. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Chrysler Reduces 2016 Powertrain Warranties by 40 000 Miles News Car and Driver Car and Driver Blog

I'm not a big fan of warranty reductions, Your literally saying yeah we backed our product's longevity a little too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    <test fits walking shoes>

3. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Although I'll never be putting 12,000 on my SRT per year, having FCA reduce the mileage, to me, is a negative sign regarding their faith in their vehicles reliability!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your still going to buy it just like the cdn warranty. Makes sense business wise. Why offer more. It's about money and risk reduction.

5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmm, i don't know if i'd say that don't trust their quality, its still 5 yrs, just 60k miles instead of 100k miles. People like me will blow through both of them, i'll probably get past 60k in 2 yrs. Or they just knocked it down to meet up with the AVG yearly miles. AVG is still about 12k so 60k/5yrs make sense.

6. Hellcat83

Hellcat83 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like it's "we're reducing our warranty because GM did". And customers don't care about warranty length? Really? :rolleyes:

7. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't really look at it as they reduced the length, its still 5 yrs, they knocked down the mileage, so yea for someone like me? Yea it would possibly bite me in 2-3 yrs, but most people won't put that many miles on these cars. Guess we will just see

8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wow, and most likely a price hike too

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rumor is GM did it because of its Direct injection and Ethanol issues.....ive seen the pics of how the valves look at 60,000+ miles

i dont think Dodge has direct injection?

they are just following the market.....

10. Richard g

Richard g Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    May or may not be true, but not a good marketing strategy to take something away from the customer. Unless it is costing FCA big $$ to keep in place due to high warranty claims it is not a smart move. Most customers or prospects will view as a take away which it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read something about this a few months ago and the article stated they had done a bunch of research (probably surveys) and customers wanted more bells and whistles than warranty.

I'm guessing they only sent base model Dart owners the survey, most of which don't keep their cars beyond 3 years and are generally between the ages of 18-25.

It's a cash grab using GM's warranty reduction and loaded survey questions, pandering to those who can't afford the options they wanted and who don't have much experience with "quality" Chrysler products to know they are going to need that 100k warranty.

Will the prices decrease across the board to reflect the reduction of warranty? Hell no.

To me, it is definitely one less reason to maintain loyalty to the brand.

12. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't see how this has anything to do with a loyalty issue. They kept the same length of the warranty, but reduced the mileage? And they reduced is to what the avg person drives in 5 yrs. Now you know that 75% of the people on this forum will barely but 15k miles on their Hellcats in 5yrs, the other 20% will probably put bout 30k on them in 5 yrs, and the other 5% that are like me, that know these cars are made to be driven and not kept sitting in garages will blow past that mileage limit anyway, i know i am most likely going to be past 100k miles within 5 yrs. So, i don't knock them from lowering the mileage limit on their warranty to be more equal to industry standards. I had my 06 Charger for 120K, had my 2010 for 76k and never had to really worry about using the warranty, didn't ha issues that were needed. So, i'm not worried about the Hellcat holding up either.

13. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a loyalty issue because warranty is one reason I've stuck it out on my 5 Chrysler vehicle purchases in the last 6 years. Quality has improved as of late but I wouldn't call it stellar by any stretch of the imagination.

12k miles a year is less than 33 miles a day. Not everyone lives within a 16 mile radius of where they work and on occasion those people might want to take a road trip.

Reducing this to what the "average" HC owner drives in a year is overlooking the fact that to most of us, this is a recreational vehicle. The mileage would of course be lower if you don't drive it to work, in the rain, or during winter.

"Equal" = Average. I don't buy vehicles based on how average it is. I buy it because it's better than the other options out there.

Have you seen the service bulletins, updates, and recall on the HC? How long has it actually been on the market? Your not going to convince me that a shorter warranty for the same price is a good thing. My old 08 Ram 3500 spent better than 2 months in the shop in a 3 year period. My wife's 13 JKU has been in the shop more than 5 times (I've lost count), just two days ago it kept shutting off on her after starting it so it'll be headed back to the shop as soon as she gets a chance.

I didn't say I was swearing off the brand but bet your ass, I'll be shopping around more now than I would have otherwise.

14. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i was only referring to average as is what they deem average miles put on in a car in a year, which is 12k miles a year. And like others have said on this site, their cars aren't daily drivers, just for weekend fun so the mileage thing is not as big of a deal for them. I guess i just look at it from a business aspect and don't see it as a big deal, to me, 5 yrs is 5 yrs, not if it was 5yr/5,000 miles that would be a little extreme lol. But form a business point, bringing it down to compete against other companies, i don't see the drama.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    8k miles a year difference is a huge deal to someone that commutes more than 25 miles one way to work.

Bringing the HC into the discussion is overlooking the fact that this applies to all FCA vehicles, not just the recreational ones which make up the smallest percentage of overall sales.

Say you go to McDonalds and order a BigMac. They only put one meat patty on it and tell you "that's the way it comes now" while charging you the same price. Do you grin and bare it or do you say screw that and start buying burgers elsewhere?