Finding the limits on parts

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by Top Cat, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Linda and I along with a few friends ( Cole, Greg, Jeromy from HHP ) raced last night at Cecil in their grudge and street racing Friday night event, to say it was cold is an understatement and traction was an issue, we had made some pretty serious HP gains on my car and were there more to see how the car would react, first pass on blower only netted a 10.09 @140 mph and a 1.59 60', should have been a 9.9 or lower if we had the traction, on the next pass we added the nitrous back in but delayed the hit for 1.5 seconds, that gave us the first part failure of the season, the DSS Cf drivesaft shattered with a million small pieces getting deposited on the track, I never had a CF shaft let go before and it's a very interesting sound as it disintegrates to nothing, so they clean the track and Linda is up next and makes a launch and she stops at about the 330 mark, I thought she hit a limp mode but it looks as if she broke her Al drive shaft or the rear in the Charger, will know more when it's up on the lift, but the temps we very cold 46* and may have played a part in some of this?

Only brite spot was Cole getting a PB 10.79 @128 mph, nice job on a very cold track, thanks for helping getting My car on the trailer Cole.
    TC

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ouch!!!! I have one of those CF shafts...not yet installed. I will never be making the power you do but that makes me cringe. Wheel hop?

3. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear the troubles TC

Thanks for keeping us posted. I have an aluminum Dss shaft coming. Got my tune from Josh yesterday, was going to do some datalogging today but its cold. May wait for a little warmer temps . . . .

Hope Linda's car is OK . . . ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The shaft let go on the nitrous hit, I'm guessing the cold temps didn't allow the shaft to flex, with Linda's car I don't know because she runs the Al shaft, I have an email into Frank @ DSS because the car s are no where near the HP/Tq rating on the shafts, all in all I can't complain too much we have tested the hell out of it in the last two months, more than most would have in years of racing.
    TC

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey TC... Bummer on the shaft failures... buy your cars do make some serious power... good RD for the rest of us.. Just curious... did either shaft do any serious under body damage. I understand the CF make a big bang when they let go... but minimize the damage! Thoughts...

6. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nothing like hearing the initial crack, then the shaft disintegrating as the car comes to a stop, track looked like a NY parade with confetti, I'll ask Josh for a few pictures when they get the car on a lift next week. I guess were going to try and have a cage installed while the new shaft is being made, the staging guy made it a point to come over and give me the talk about hitting 140 mph on the first run, my reply was I only went 10.09 , his reply was go home after this run,:rolleyes: I guess he didn't know how hard that was going to be or the work to get me off the track,LOL
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mike@bwp

mike@bwp Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That really Blows john sorry to hear it let loose on you and Linda, sounds like we need a Chromoly driveshaft for the guys who want big power!

8. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mike
    I talked via email to Frank @ DSS and his CF is rated for 2300 HP, we by no means are near that number but two of us have now failed at the 1000-1100 mark, I only ran the DSS shaft because they had the pattern done, but the next one will be thru PST technologies, I use them on our real race cars which are 1500 HP plus and have never had a failure.
    TC

• Like Like x 4
  9. Bucks666

Bucks666 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Top cat keep us posted please I've got an aluminum installed with car making well within your #s . Has me concerned to say the least ! Sorry to hear about the cf letting go .....

• Like Like x 1
  10. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FYI I would assume that you all may be having to mount a parachute soon also. According to NHRA rules the MPH mark for a chute is 150 mph. You don't have to pull it but the rules want you to have it in case.

And in theory if the car is in the 9's it should have it also regardless of the MPH according to NHRA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TC & Linda,

Thanks for letting me tag along, just trying to have fun and learn a thing or two. Everyone helped each other (TC helped me load my car on the trailer). It was not cool watching TC and Linda break. I was in line about 8 cars back it was a WTF moment on Friday the 13th. First TC then literally 20 minutes later Linda, what are the odds of that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This car will never have a chute, goal is one 8 second run and a back up run, then were done......
    TC

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    10.09 on blower only is that a record?

14. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't know, we were trying for a 9 second pass blower only because people are always saying you need nitrous to get the 9.
    TC

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fastest I've seen Congrats anyway!