fire extinguishers (what do you recommend for automotive)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by blaze, Jun 7, 2016.

1. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    anyone ever have a vehicle catch fire under the hood and be completely helpless to put it out? believe it or not it has happened to me twice in my lifetime.. both times i got very lucky as passers by had extinguishers.. i need a compact extinguisher that will look good i can mount somewhere in the cat, that will do the job..because you never know.. any recommedations? thoughts? opinions? rants?
    thanks in advance.. i am thinking trunk mounted.

2. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A trunk one can be anything and any color. There are better looking one for inside the car. Have to remember that it is there to save your life and should color really matter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep blazing along brother

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Expo6

Expo6 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got a H3R Performance HG100R Fire Extinguisher 2.5LB. From the CARiD site "...protect your investment with a fire extinguisher that attacks fires involving flammable liquids quickly and safely, with no danger of electric shock, and without leaving a damaging residue to clean up."

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for the info Expo6 i am looking at them now.
    Alexandria, VA two thumbs up :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shadow

Shadow Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Expo, looking at the site now. What bracket did you choose and where did you mount the extinguisher? I'd like to mount it in front of the passenger seat (Challenger), but I've read somewhere on the forum that a proper fitting mount was next to impossible to find. Looking for your mounting advice, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  8. Expo6

Expo6 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shadow: Therein lies the rub, because of the way the seats are mounted. I used a Speed Tactics mount, but modified it with extreme prejudice to fit in my trunk. Bent one tab to slip over rear light mounting bolt so the mount sits at a 45% angle toward the outside of the car. The other tab rests upon a foam hockey puck to provide shock absorption. I have also seen on this forum, after I went through all of this, where someone had used the H3R Performance Fire Extinguisher Clamp Mount Seat Mount in the trunk. They also used the rear light mounting bolt to anchor it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Shadow

Shadow Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Expo, exactly. Thanks for the input. I ordered the H3R extinguisher and several of their mounts. I'm sure it'll end up in the trunk; I'll modify as necessary and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your advice!

• Like Like x 1
  10. hellcat buyer

hellcat buyer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 91 Buick Regal GS daily driver that served me well for 17 yrs and 125,000 miles. Around 10 yrs old the alternator started acting up and I had a high performance shop that I used for the toys swap it out. A week later I pull into the driveway and smoke is rolling out from under the hood. I open it to find the new alternator on fire. I grab the extinguisher in the garage (dry chemical type-powder) which quickly put out the fire with no further damage. Called the shop and they took care of tow, alternator and underhood detail as the powder went EVERYWHERE and made a huge mess. Although it was a driver it was very clean. Shop owner was very apologetic but said "If you're going to play with cars do me a favor and get a Halon extinguisher" No powder; just an inert but expensive gas to put out flames. I've kept two in the house ever since. Knock on wood have not had to use them. They are used in aircraft by law and most onboard fire suppression systems. Good stuff. I couldn't imagine attempting to get regular powder out of the Hellcat's nooks and crannies.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. cat8you

cat8you Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 75,000 agreed replacement value,if its that big of a piece of shit I'll watch it burn.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you never know, you may feel differently when you are fighting in courts with insurance companies over fault.. there is a pic of a burnt cat floating somewhere around here, back during the fuel rail recall time.. i do not want an extinguisher
    for looks like a import driver. i am actually looking for something to put the car out if something goes wrong, and i want to mount it in the trunk. if you guys have pics please share. hellcat buyer , i had the same thing happen with the powder on an old bronco, powder everywhere.. happened not 10 feet out of a shop bay after service and they tried to say they did not cause it in court.. real fun stuff..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  13. hellcat buyer

hellcat buyer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually, my extinguisher is not mounted in the car. I was lucky it happened pulling into the driveway. Still, I keep one in the garage, basement, and kitchen. Agree with most trunk mount is probably best; I just don't like the appearance. With the amount of creativity I've seen on this site I'm sure someone has a pretty good solution. My point was more to the type of suppressant rather than the mount.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a Speed Tactics custom bracket on the way; it locates the extinguisher to the passenger seat bottom front (where you can get to it quickly) but still allows full seat travel. If the looks bother you, maybe have your extinguisher wrapped black?

I use one of these in my ACR; it's not in the way even in that (much smaller) passenger space. The quality and fit is perfect, and does not interfere with mounting a 6-pt harness.

I'll post some pics when I install the Hellcat bracket & extinguisher.

Rich

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    awesome, thank you.