First Long Trip with "Kitty"

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Confuzed2, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    -And I have to say, it's "the" best car on the highway I've ever driven! Speed limit was 70, so I set my cruise control to 78. It never deviated from that speed...uphill, downhill...didn't seem to matter. I honestly think the ride quality was smoother than my "11 SRT 392 I had.

Trip that I took was exactly 329 miles each way. On the way there, I averaged 20.5 MPG - I calculated the miles/gallons I used since I don't think the "Fuel Economy" gages on any of these cars is very accurate. Heck, if I would have went by the meter, I got 22.6 MPG!! I filled the tank just before I left town, and by the time I arrived I had a little under 1/4 tank left! I expected much worse honestly.

Of course, I kept in "Default" (or street) mode, and hit the "Eco" button, which I'm not certain if that really does anything....

Still trying to figure out these rain wipers...had a spell of rain on the way, and they didn't turn on automatically...but..when I did turn them on in "delay" mode, they seemed to speed up or slow down on there own depending on how hard it rained...is that normal?

• Like Like x 2
  2. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As far as wipers that is normal. They should also stop all together when there is no rain. Then when you go into car wash they start up automatically which then caused me panic and confusion

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you had a fun trip! I am glad you are enjoying your HellCat! As far as the wipers, that is normal. I just twist the control into the delay area, and forget about them. If it starts to rain, they will come on.

April

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    eco mode basically sticks you into 8th gear at highway speeds and lowers the rpms. If you were to kick off eco mode with the cruise set at 78 it might drop it down to 7th gear....though 78 it might have kept it in 8th anyway. I know for me, when I'm commuting home, usually in the 60 mph range, when I turn eco off it drops me into 7th gear.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i find the seats uncomfortable on long rides...my back isnt 100% anymore and when i get out after 2-3 hour drive my back is stiff....also my son and wife both say the passenger seat doesnt feel comfortable either....i find the whole design of the seat to be odd for a performance car....my 2015 GMC Sierra has more sporty seats....i find my head 3"+ off the head rest while driving....while in my gt500 and Sierra my head is resting on the head rest full time....the seat back of the HC is just odd angles......i think the seats are for fatties and i need some extra back fat to help me fit correctly......leather is super soft, but seat design for me is horrible....my 2011 IE seats were much better on long drives...Dodge needs a Recaro option

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you AUTo guys with your ECO mode really crack me up!

7. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes ECO! lol

Zebug.....I suppose you're right, it most likely just stayed in 8th gear at that speed, which is probably why I didn't really notice any difference in mileage. At lower speeds, I probably would though.

Hey, ECO is nice to have while you're just cruising down the highway and don't need all the power anyway. I'm not going to start one of those "auto vs stick" threads....I like both, and have both. I have a 5 speed manual in a old supercharged Thirdgen Camaro that I also have. And it's a blast to drive around town. But I need to be realistic since I have one fake knee, and the other is slated to be replaced within the next few months...in heavy traffic I'll take the A8 every time....on the open road...the fun factor goes with the stick...other opinions WILL vary! Lol

Thanks for the reply about the windshield wipers...guess I'll keep it in delay and let them do their thing then! As far as seats, I also had a 2011 non-IE 392 with the standard SRT seats....and since I didn't opt for the upgraded seats in this Hellcat, these are about identical...I think they're pretty comfy!

• Like Like x 1
  8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just teasing.. its all good, we're all part of the brotherhood :D