SRT Hellcat Forum banner

First manual transmission

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Iktdzl 
#1 ·
This will be my first car with a manual transmission, drove one a time or two in the late 70's any suggestions.

#4 ·
Very smooth shifting tranny. Modified Viper unit as I understand it. You shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy!

Reactions: Q5Dart
#7 ·
Like riding a bike you will be fine. Listen to what mowe said.

#9 ·
Truth be known, I stalled mine twice the first few traffic lights...poop happens. It had been a while for me, too. Once you get your "feel" back and the car responds you'll chuckle over even worrying about it. Remember, you made the choice to potentially stall in a Hellcat...imagine how it would suck if you'd chosen a Prius...and stalled...

#10 ·
The Challenger's manual tranny is a very smooth shifting unit. Much better then the current Mustang. You'll have no problem after a few driving sessions!

#11 ·
Good choice! Had an M6 in my last Challenger SRT8 and loved throwing gears so much I got one in my Hellcat. Don't be afraid to wind it out a bit. The few people I've let drive mine have been a bit timid and shifted around 2k and lugged the engine. Wind it out closer to 3k in normal driving. The engine likes to spin a little and breath.

Learn at what mph each gear hits the rev limiter. Mine will go 88 mph in 2nd. Down shifting to 2nd at 70 mph is a kick but be ready to go right to 3rd because your engine will spin fast at that speed. Oh, and make sure you're pointed straight when you do that or you might end up facing backwards.

Also, the Hellcat is better than my SRT8 was if you shift by sound when being aggressive. I used to bounce off the rev limiter frequently if I didn't pay close attention. The supercharger whine helps me to hear better when I'm nearing the limiter but I've still bumped it a few times. Go to the SRT screen and activate the shift light. You'll be able to set the light separately in each gear. The gauge cluster lights up red when it's time to shift.

And, most important of all, have fun!!!

#15 ·
when i was 19 i bought a brand new 5.0 w/ a manual...never drove one before...part of the deal was the salesman was to show me how to drive it after i bought it....i struggled just to get home that night(killed it over and over)

not easy learning stick on a powerful car....better to learn on a 150hp civic

it wasnt easy for me back when i was 19......took a while.....i think you may be in for a difficult time...but once you learn it will be tons of fun....hill assist in todays manuals will help you a ton...didnt have that back in 1990 when i learned.....youve got balls to buy a car you cant drive yet....i admire it!
i remember learning how to drive a motorcycle at age 21...taught myself....i killed it so much the battery would die...had to learn how to start it from a roll and pop the clutch or be stranded...eventually i learned after a week or messing around and never killed it again

#16 ·
Save your money on a skip shift eliminator. Instead, use it as a gauge for shifting. If your skip shift is kicking in you're not winding the engine out enough before shifting. I actually think you'll find it easier to drive if you turn off the hill assist. I think it tends to feel "grabby" and cause the car to lunge. Go practice on an incline out of traffic until you feel confident on hills. You should be able to take off on any hill with no roll back.

#17 ·
Like others have said: Live & learn on a cheap import or a rental. Dumping the clutch on this thing while over revving the engine could be expensive. Get the grasp of shifting & clutching on sh!tbox before you start getting carried away with the H/C... Just my 2 cents!

#20 ·
Put the clutch in every time you stop LOL ;) These things are EASY to drive with a manual transmission. You will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.