First oil change SURPRISE

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by moparjim, Jan 10, 2017.

1. moparjim

moparjim SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I finally got a chance to change the oil for storage last week. Received race ramps thanks to the forum for the help.
    Anyways after taking off the covers I noticed that the filter was dripping oil and there was oil on cooler lines. While wiping of the oil I managed to turn the filter. I was able to unscrew the filter with zero force not much more than turning a tap.
    I mean if I had been able to keep driving it I believe it could have vibrated off.
    Did not notice any oil leak on floor because of the covers but did have to clean a bit of a
    mess under the car in that area.
    Now the dealer didn't change the oil the car was built 08/16 and was received at the dealer in Sept. I picked up the car Oct.18. With 5kms. on it so why would they.
    I just thought I would share this unsettling experience I may be the only one but some may want to check there new cars mine has 400 miles on it.
    Hope this helps someone.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Johntpr

Johntpr Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should also check the oil cooler drain plug fitting. Many have reported it to be very loose as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was on good unlike the drain plug that was on stupid tight.

4. fltru103

fltru103 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine was very loose. I was surprised and could have taken the plug off by hand, but the rubber o-ring kept it sealed. No leaks anywhere.
    The oil filter required an oil filter wrench to loosen it up.
    Mileage at change was 1100.

All this points out to very poor PDI at the dealer. Things that should be inspected and verified by the shop before delivery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is interesting and thank you for sharing this. Something to look out for.
    Good catch on your part!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. MAXKILLS

MAXKILLS Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for this information, Currently have 800 miles, I will be checking my oil filter and drain when I get home from work. I will post the findings....

• Like Like x 1
  7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do your tires get flat spots from being in storage?

8. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess I'll find out in spring but I think ill be good I aired up the tires and park the car on rubber parking pads. It's what my stepfather used to use to store his BMW's on. When I drove my mothers 645 home from Ontario there was no vibration so I should be good too. Fingers crossed. They are softer than the tire so they give first. P_20170108_160713_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
  9. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Two things,

Do you have a link for your TireCradles? I've been looking for some, but all I can find are priced at a point that seems, silly?

As for the loose filter, I seem to recall several people mentioning this filter condition with their first oil change. It's not ideal, and not right, but also not an entirely uncommon occurrence.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good catch...

Did my initial at a little over 1800 miles. Filter tight (needed end cap wrench), oil pan drain a little over tight, oil cooler barely snug.

sounds like poor PDI. with such low mileage, you might want to go back over it and look for any other gifts that might have been left for you

• Like Like x 1
  11. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bull I just looked them up quickly and found them at 350 USD and in Canada 450can. Either one seems expensive but they do seem to me to work as advertised.
    I didn't buy them just sadly inherited them. I don't know when or where they got them from.

12. fltru103

fltru103 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use the flatstoppers. Race ramps has them. Yes, I think they are expensive. As for what they do, I'll know when the salt is no longer on the road.

As for loose filters or drains, all part of PDI inspection that each dealer gets paid to do. Problem is, the low paid B or C class tech doesn't get much anyway, so most just don't care to check everything on the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess I can't debate whether or not checking the tightness of the oil filter is on the PDI list or not, but I would be surprised if it was.

Consider that our engines are supposedly each dyno tested and delivered with that oil/oil filter in/on them. I would think that it would need to be properly installed at that time. Even if not, I'd still be surprised if subsequent to that event that the tightness of the filter was on a check list.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you that they probably didn't check the filter. Another thing I notice is the cover with the 4screws was over tightend to the point that the washers were bent. Factory or dealer I don't know. But my wife's 15 charger 5.7 they are fine.
    I must say it pissed me off to the point it took me a couple of days to post. Mostly to control use of colorful language.

Btw did you see I responded to your question about the tire cradles. Sorry I don't have more info. I have my Grand national on wheel solids which are curved somewhat but I like these better. Up here in Canada either one is expensive unfortunately.
    I'm not sure the how much the flat stoppers go for but maybe worth looking into also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was thinking the same thing last night.
    Oh well I have a couple of months to get friendly with it till spring comes.