First Rock Chip

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MoparPhil, Mar 9, 2015.

1. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure, it's bound to happen sooner or later but the first one is always a bummer. Some clown in a flat bed truck dropped a rock and it bounced into my windshield. It left two little pits. Better there than in the paint. And, inevitably there will be more to come. What are you gonna do? I remember right where I was when I got the first chip in my '09 SRT. They looked huge until more chips were added over time and then they just blended in. Soon that'll be the case with the Hellcat. BTW, the Hellcat is in the shop as I write this getting clear bra and the a black hood wrap.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CU89

CU89 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That does suck. Some day, I am going to get a bucket of gravel and make a sign that reads "Stay Back 500 Feet - Not responsible for broken windshields." Then I am going to have my son drive me around while I am sitting in the back of his pick-up truck. We will search out similar haulers and then pull in front of them. I will then hold up my sign reminding them to stay back 500 feet. If they dare get any closer than 500 feet, I will begin throwing rocks at their truck one piece at a time. In between pieces, I will point to my sign.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 5
  3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    windshield's are easier to get replaced then getting panels repainted and blended right. Clear bra the front of of my hellcat.

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the chip can be fixed on your insurance, usually for free (up to so many/year). They'd rather take care of a chip than the whole windshield.

5. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's why I paid for the paint protection on mine. Any rock chips, I just schedule with the dealer to get them fixed. They use a paint shop across the road from them that put the paint protection coat on. I figure I'll wait until Winter is over and then have it done. I have 2 tiny rock chips in my front bumper right now.

6. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got a small chip on the side of the car within the first week last fall.

I was detailing the car and noticed it, I was WTF I have hardly owned the thing!

7. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I cracked my windshield on the drive home from the dealership (2013 SRT Challenger)...not even 10 miles on the speedo. Called USAA and went to safelite and had it replaced two hours later....the cursing is funny to me now...wasn't at the time.

8. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's only two little pits not even the size of a pin head. It's not a crack.

I actually repair my own paint chips. You can't be afraid to do a little sanding on the car but it comes out great. I got behind a truck that was spilling gravel in my '09. I had 13 chips in the paint when I got home. A little touch up paint, a little sanding and a little polishing and I couldn't tell you where they were.

9. RobM

RobM SRT Hellcat Lunatic!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Two Saturdays ago I was driving down the freeway with my Cat and I saw the damn rock coming righty at me. Of course it hit dead center in my field of vision and left a mark that looked like I got shot by a BB gun. After MFing the truck driver (not in person since it wasn't his/her fault), I realized its not that big of a deal since it was not the paint. On Monday, I called a local windshield chip repair company and they came out the next day to my office and fixed it perfectly for $40. You can't notice that it was even hit. I didn't want the windshield replaced because it is always best not to break that factory seal around it if you can avoid it.

Make sure you use someone reputable that just doesn't set the machine and walk away. I saw Safelite crack numerous windshields because their people are not always properly trained on adjusting the pressure. And get it done sooner than later since temperature changes can cause it to spread.

10. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great thread to start. I am sure we all have rock chip stories. Not my Hellcat, but I had my 2012 Charger for 2 weeks and was out of town for work. It was a resort area and a truck and trailer with a load of canoes pulled in front of me. Of course, I was annoyed he pulled in front of me but then a huge rock fell off the trailer and bounced up and hit my windshield. I remember looking at the crack in the upper right corner and I just said, well, I will get that filled right away so it doesn't spread. Hit a bump and it cracked right across the middle of the entire windshield. :mad: Had to have it replaced. They did a great job and had to further problems, but seriously sucked!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    when trying to put my spash guards on i found multiple micro chips around where the front splash guards go......im waiting for my dr.color chip to come before i put the splash guards on

also have an appointment in 2 weeks to get Xpel clear bra put on....not driving it until i get it done.....my 13gt500 is sandblasted on the lower part under the door......thousands of micro chips(cant see unless your on your knees)...im not letting the same thing happen to my HC......they use sand in my neighborhood on the roads....when i drive out of my cul de sac all you hear is stones banging inside your wheel wells.....sanding down your paint

12. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Isn't that the worst feeling when you can see it coming? It seems like slow motion but it's happening too fast to react. I was in the '09 heading north on I-15 towards Salt Lake City and saw a rock, well..., it was a boulder, bouncing at me. Then, a car changed lanes in front of me and took it right in the grill. I should have looked that driver up to thank him or her. I like to think he or she liked my car so much that they took the bullet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gary J.

Gary J. Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My last patrol car went through three windshields in less than a month before I finally installed the camera system myself.

A combination of putting the button way too low on the windshield and aggressively sanding the area in the prep stage caused continuous problems. I'm just a dumb deputy and the guy wouldn't listen to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How much did it cost you and is it an option that they offer to you or you need to ask for it? Mine will be delivered in 3/4 weeks and want to be ready, thnx

15. Cat-Man-Do

Cat-Man-Do Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i caved on a clear bra today while I was having the hood wrapped and stripe put on. was pretty reasonable to do the front end.