First SRT Experience, Laguna Seca, Ca 2-14-2015

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by RoadwarriorCA, Feb 17, 2015.

1. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Post is a little late from Saturday, but issues came up over the weekend plus I was waiting to see if anyone else posted better pictures...waited until the end of the day to take a few pics...

Anyway, great weather 82 degrees in Monterey/Salinas....tad warmer on the track:(

1) Cars: No Hellcats, Vipers....cars are only 2014 models.
    2) You will drive ( all SRT's of course).....a) Challenger b) C300 c) Charger and d) Jeep Grand Cherokee.....you rotate vehicles throughout the day so you get use to all the vehicles.
    3) Your given your own flash drive with your badge.....each time you get in the car, you'll plug it into the port which is hooked up to a GoPro ?....and it records video each time you drive ... the avi video will have the picture of the front of the vehicle and a small box of yourself in the lower right side .... Yes, it has sound. Also, you will taking the flash drive home.
    I didn't have time to upload a video,so here is a link from someone last year at Laguna Seca:

You won't have the track image or speed image on the bottom that this video has....

4) Your split into two groups that will compete against each other.....I think we had 40 people total..so (2) groups of 20.
    5) 1st - lap runs ... supposed to get you use to the track. On the track there will be three cars ( same model). Instructor is in lead car, and in cars #2 and #3 will be you and a paired partner (you and the paired partner will have your own car). So it's a follow the leader scenario, and you have to stay a certain length between each other Have to keep up and stay a certain distance. You'll do this a couple of times...... no passing at all.... as you get better, the instructor car will increase his speed, so your lap speed will get better ( as long as you can keep up...otherwise the instructor will slow down thus your lap speed will decrease. Bottom line: in the afternoon, you will compete on the race course for who has the better lap times.
    6) 2nd- something new, they set up a small drag strip with a launching tree...do this (4) times....compete against each other on the same team.....you'll have a blast. You'll be given a results ticket of max speed, trap time and reaction time (with winner and loser stats).
    7) 3rd- after lunch....back to the track .... for lap times.....still the (3) car set-up, but the instructor will push you as fast as you can go..... as long as the two of you can keep up .....if either car drops off as far as distance between each other, the instructor car will slow down :(...thus you have a slower lap time...
    8) 4th- Autocross - yes the cones.....too fun....do twice in a Challenger, then a third time in the Jeep...it took me a little getting used to because of the size (center of gravity...BUT, its all wheel drive). You'll stay in first gear and with the Jeep, your supposed to have your best time....because of the all wheel drive....
    9) Last- Hot Lap with an instructor around the track......wasn't as fast as I thought....still fun.

Last points, have to run..
    a) WORTH IT !
    b) Visitors can ride with instructors .... they went out of their way to accommodate them...
    c) Some guy has been their (6) times.... after the first time, you can keep going back for a discount rate of $500/session....so your basically in a "club" ...that's why the questionnaire asked if you have ever been to the SRT Experience before.....

1) Laguna Seca Track map- built on a couple of hills....the famous "Corkscrew" is coming down off the larger hill

LS Track Map.jpg

2) Aeriel view...pit area and bleachers on lower left.....

Overhead-Lower left -bleachers and SRT experience.jpg

3) Pit area....cars you will be driving.....instructor in black..

Pit Area..vehicles you will be driving.jpg

4) Left is the drag track set-up. Right is the Autocross set-up....notice width of cones in the autocross...also the (4) cones on the far right.....you have to stop exactly inside the (4) cones or you get a time penalty
    Left-Drag set-up Right is the Autocross.jpg

5) First small hill coming out of the bleacher area. Coming out of pit area..up first hill.jpg

6) Light tree in the drag set-up
    light tree set up.jpg

7) Track coming down from the corkscrew...you have a couple of steep slopes on this track
    Slope also Autocrosscones.jpg

8) Another shot of the autocross cones.......nice to see the green hills after (4) years of drought..
    Autocross cones and hill angle.jpg

9) Commercial shot of the "Corkscrew"......catches you off guard the first time...that sucker drops right down and enters the first turn......
    Commercial shot- 'Corkscrew".jpg
    10) End of the day..they try to keep you on schedule all day and get you out on time....4:30-5:00 PM
    end of day.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice. How fast could you get up to on the drag strip?

3. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At least 80-90 mph, but they tell you to not look down...keep your eye on the track....see, they have off-yellow cones lined up on the side prior to entering a turn...which means brake.....and at the end of the yellow cones is a single red cone where you accelerate. There is also single red cones every now and then where your suppose to come within 3 feet of the cone....this is part of the skill building that the pros set up for us.......and the skill set they use.

4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh ok, and what about the strip? With the tree lights? 80-90 too?

5. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In retrospect, the "Hot Lap" at the end, didn't seem all that fast because you've been driving at high speeds all day...( even though I told the instructor ' scare the H*LL out me"....he laughed.

One last funny point, the instructors warned us that usually after lunch,somebody always 'hurls" :eek: because of motion sickness.......didn't happen with our group..:)

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for the great review! I cant wait to hit VIR!!

7. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Funny you should ask..they had problems with the software right in the middle of it all...one ticket I have stated TRAP MPH 89.5 ..I don't think it was working properly...its a real short distance, maybe 100 yards?.....its more of a skill building on your reaction time.
    Plus, at the end of the"strip" you have a very short distance to turn around and come back to the staring line..

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Abe..did my best....try to bring someone to be your camera person (PC)....you sort of get focused at each event and lose the perspective of documenting the experience....

9. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh im bringing 5 other drivers and a non driver :D we are gonna have some great head to heads by the sound of it!

10. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    does the partner your paired with stay with you all day or can you switch out?

11. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your with the same group ( 20 people) all day. If your a couple they will pair you together.
    The pairing thing is really just for the lap race ( morning and afternoon-timed event)...otherwise , the drag strip and autocross you compete individually within your group....

12. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    :):):):):) PERFECT !!!!!!
    My brother-in-law wants to go next year....major sucking up to my sister..:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh ok thx, one buddy and his son will be a pair then. the rest of us can switch up

14. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They ask you at the beginning.....if you have a preference, pair up.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was thinking, since I was by myself I didn't notice , but the two groups of 20, not sure how they split the two groups up..
    BUT....I had three couples in my group.....they go out of their way to please you...asking all day long if your having a good time.....I'm positive (99.9%) you will all be placed in the same group....:)

• Like Like x 1