First to Second Shift - lift shudder/jump.

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by TexasTorred, Jun 7, 2015.

1. TexasTorred

TexasTorred Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All,
    I'm at 290 miles from new. Notice in "Default Mode," when taking off from a stop there is sometimes a slight hitch/jump from 1st to 2nd. (When you roll from a stop / off idle a little more aggressively, it is felt less or its' just shifting so fast you can't feel it as much, but it's there. Have not tried Sport/Track mode yet, but most of the time, I'll be in default (Street) mode. I've pretty much 'babied' this car since I've had following the break in schedule. It seemed to shift flawlessly. Until.... I let my brother drive it, who after I said take it easy ---(took off from the light, chirped the tires a little (in default mode). Was pumping the gas as we were cruising around 70mph a few times to feel the power etc.........

At first, I thought ...heh, it's a brand new car with a transmission handling 650lb ft. of torque...so I just figured with this much power / torque, first to second shift if fairly stout and this slight hitch/jolt is normal? Man I wish I could drive another hellcat charger and this would end my question. I guess I am hesitant to let/get near a dealership and hoping it will 'learn/break in' and go away over time.....We'll see.

Advice and feedback please. (One thing is for sure, compared to most drivers I've seen with new Chargers/Challys, the car has been driven per the break in instructions and totally 'babied' thus far. Can't imagine having a freaking-transmission-issue on a car with 290 miles on it.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You're in break in still, trans needs to be i sport mode to keep r's up. See how it feels after 500 miles

3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read it has been babied etc. then "pumped". I am confused. As I did, drive it as smooth as possible during the first 500-1000 miles and beyond is good advice. If you are going to run it, run it up smoothly and avoid quick PUMPS especially during the low gears where the torque is un-real. Fast deacceleration and rapid stops should be avoided.

If your brother wants to feel the power, take it to a safe place cruising 50-80 it don't matter, then slowly press that pedal to the floor without breaking traction.....that is a demonstration of power. Pumping it at 70 is an experiment with the loss of friction at the rear wheels=burning rubber.

To answer your concern, these things lose all kinds of traction in the lower gears. They will burn rubber, maybe wheel hop. But between 1-2 any one of a number of things may have been going on, it does not sound like he broke anything yet. Have fun with it and only let your brother ride along once you can demonstrate the Cats power to him yourself. I let my little brother drive mine....with the 500 hp button pressed. Why? People with no experience at hi-perf cars or bikes can never understand or control this level of power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We had the same on the Charger and was told it was traction control and that Dodge was aware of the complaints but to tell the truth we haven't had it since the day we took it in to be checked and the car only had a few 100 miles on it..

TC

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, that is good news. Thanks for the response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Sir -great advice and feedback. Yes, up until he drove it, I was 'babying' (a.k.a. nice gentle and smooth takeoffs, (per the break in, not exceeding half-throttle and less than 3,500rpm <55mph up to 100miles on it, 100-200 up to 70mph, etc, etc....---just following the break in to the letter as this car is a 'keeper' to me for 20 years!

Yes, that is the last person (other than my wife) that will drive it for during the break in. Unfortunately, right after explaining the break in, he got on it (a little bit)...pumping the gas at 70mph and also from a stop, chirped the wheels a little/hard acceleration off idle....(People, even family amaze me, knowing how long I saved up for this vehicle and people just do what they want. I would NEVER drive someone's BRAND new car the way he did...guess people can't resist.) He did not 'floor it' or race the person next to us, but I''m sure the car's computer and transmission were wondering what the hell's going on.

That's good news I'm hearing from hellcat owners nothing seems broken and a lot of torque between first and second....well between ANY gear:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, thanks for the response. Sounds like nothing 'unique' to my transmission. I 'think' it will work its way out over time. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the dealer replaced a speed sensor or something to make it go away....Good news = WARRANTY, so these responses above are giving me some 'peace of mind.' The hellcat was a lot of money to me and I want to keep it forever and until it becomes a classic:)

I'll try and sport and track settings and see if the 'faster shifting' makes any difference between first to second. Again, it is definitely (as is) "livable" with. Just didnt want to worsen the damage by driving it around. (I don't like going to dealerships either --bad experience after bad experience.)

8. upnorthstar

upnorthstar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    mine did the same thing..not any more after the break-in....enjoy! and let her rip, the car begs for it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nino

nino Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    During The break in period I think the transmission can be run in any mode even track mode , as long as you follow the recommendations on rpm and mph max outs !!

• Like Like x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Must vary rpm and not lug it Sport mode works well I did it;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. nino

nino Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rpm will vary depending on how heavy your foot is and less on what mode your in ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know it's the same transmission but this one shifts much smoother than my Challenger 392 did. I can't explain it but the downshifts are much smoother, almost imperceptible. I've had all the TSBs on both cars but I notice a big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    they are both ZF gearboxes but they are different models. The Hellcat having a much stronger gearbox. Also built in Germany and not the US

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TexasTorred

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just a quick update, because another member was having the same hard shift between first and second. I'm at 2,400 miles now and the car shifts flawlessly and like 'butter.' Actually, light years improvement from when brand new. Apparently, it needed some time to break in and is actually one of the smoothest shifting cars I've owned (In Default Mode). Of course in Sport / Track, you can definitely feel the hitch/decisive shifts....that's what you want.

15. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, it is not the same transmission.

High Demand for the High Performance 8-Speed
    While some devout muscle car loyalists will insist that a proper high performance muscle car must have a manual transmission, the Hellcat Challenger with the 8-speed heavy duty automatic transmission has been a very popular option since the car first went on sale. The 8-speed automatic is easier to drive, quicker and more efficient than the 6-speed manual transmission, so buyers were quick to check the box for the pricier, self-shifting gearbox.

The problem is that when the company was overwhelmed with orders for the Hellcat Challenger and Charger, the vast majority of orders were for the 8-speed automatic transmission. Since orders far exceeded the expectations of the company and the Hellcat models take a unique, heavy duty transmission, the orders for the automatic transmission far exceeded the expected need for this new gearbox. As a result, the company has run into a shortage of the Hellcat 8-speed, which particularly causes a problem for the Hellcat Charger – which only comes with the automatic transmission.

Because of this, a great many of the Hellcat Challengers delivered to dealerships in the recent weeks have been fitted with the 6-speed manual transmission. Also, when the company opened the order bank for one day last month, they were only accepting orders for Challengers with the manual transmission, as those were orders that could be fulfilled more quickly. This is likely why the company has removed the automatic transmission from the build page for the Hellcat Challenger, as it drives home the fact that there will be no more orders for automatic transmission Hellcat Challengers in the 2015 model year.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016