Florida Intro to Ordering a Hellcat

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by KudaKen, Oct 29, 2014.

1. KudaKen

KudaKen Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey fellow Mopar Fans!

This site is a great idea so kudos to whoever created it. I've been googling Hellcat several times a week hoping to find information on ordering a Hellcat and what to expect. I thought I'd share my experience, since this was going to be the first time I'd ordered a specific car from the manufacturer and there really wasn't any practical information on the Dodge or SRT sites.

Reading about the Dodge allotment program and about Hellcats going for $10k over MSRP at the dealer raised some red flags, and my visit to Sunset Dodge in Sarasota (avoid!) made me wonder whether people can actually get the Hellcat. The salesman was thoroughly unhelpful, saying they had no information on the Hellcat. I asked if I could order one and I was told that they were getting two and they were already spoken for. That they might get a third car in the spring and they would auction that car off to the highest bidder since they had a list of 26 people who wanted a Hellcat. A dealer auctioning a car to the highest bidder?? You can bet that I'll never give them my business.

I went to Douglas Dodge in Venice, FL (I recommend so far) and had a completely different experience. For starters, even though this dealer was small, it appeared to be much more performance oriented. All of the cars in the showroom were SRT (Jeep, Viper, Charger) and they already had a 2015 Challenger 392 on the lot. I told the salesman, Art, that I wanted to order a Hellcat and he told me how it would be done and that the price that showed up on the SRT Hellcat build site would be the price I'd pay (basically MSRP) and normal destination fees. He also volunteered info that he had heard of dealers saying they charged MSRP, but then charged a $10,000 destination fee. So be sure you get a full breakdown on purchase price with all charges shown, including delivery/destination and handling, etc.

I went back a couple days later with a $1000 deposit and he took my order. He said SRT collected orders a couple times a month and I would receive an email from the dealership when my order was sent to the manufacturer. After that, I would receive progress emails directly from the manufacturer. Finally, he said that the earliest I could expect my car would be the end of February. That sounds pretty accurate based on some of the delays I've heard about. I'm not in a huge hurry -- I just want to know I'm in the system and that they'll build me a car.

FYI: Torqueflite 8-speed, ivory tri-coat pearl, black satin hood, black wheels, black nappa seats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the jungle

3. TURNERZ

TURNERZ Rocket Science for the Road

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the site. I call Florida home when I am not deployed. Good to know dealer info, as I will be shopping around, hopefully in Florida, when the new Chargers come out.

4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome from Wisconsin,
    can't wait to see your pictures of your new car

5. Bane

Bane Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the site. Congrats on getting your order placed. Keep us posted.

6. Tspoon

Tspoon VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome aboard and good luck with your order.

7. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you found the site. Congrats on your order!! Looking forward to getting your updates as your order works through the process. Enjoy the forum and the awesome Hellcat Family!!;)

8. KudaKen

KudaKen Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks everyone! Great to be here! I've been trying to be patient, but it's been two weeks since I gave my order and deposit and I haven't heard a peep. I was going to wait a few more days, but I think I'll pay a visit to the dealer tomorrow just to see if the order was sent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Juan-Carlos Escobar Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome, love Florida!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome!!!! Great job on how you ordered and who you talked to. Hope you enjoy your stay!

11. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dig in bro, you've got a long wait

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome from Upstate New York!
    Enjoy the Forum! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. KudaKen

KudaKen Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dropped by the dealer yesterday to see my salesman, Art. He said my order had been sent, but had no idea when I would get a VON. He assured me that bona fide sales orders would be filled before any dealership allotment cars were built and delivered. That makes sense to me, but not sure if anyone has heard differently. Patience is the key, although I suppose that waiting two weeks is not exactly being patient, but I at least need a VON to have any confidence that I'm "in the queue". o_O

• Like Like x 1
  14. White Trash

White Trash BMF Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC National Vice Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Aboard!!
    Part Time Flordian here Destin!!

WT

• Like Like x 1
  15. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had similar experiences, with Dodge dealers here in the Phoenix area. Finally found one fellow, who works in fleet, that was willing to accept my order; But after 3 weeks, I have no real assurance, nor VON, so I find it hard to just keep my fingers crossed, but have no other choice. When I hear all the folks complaining about the excessive delays in storage lots since their Hellcat was built I often think to myself "at least YOUR dream car was built!", while thousands of oblivious 'rubes' like me linger in true limbo, without VIN/VON data and no real way to feel confident that our car will ever be created.

• Agree Agree x 1