Focal to replace HK system

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by LafnGas, Dec 28, 2016.

1. LafnGas

LafnGas Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So here it is qll layed out, getting ready for the install into RasinHel[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow-Focal is awesome stuff-finally a system worthy of the HellCat! Very Jealous!

3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck with you install and let us know how you make out. Bet it will sound aweome

4. Jefe

Jefe VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had Focal in the Cobra, awesome stuff. Specs? Can you get photos of all the stock pieces and location for those of us looking to upgrade?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jkviper

jkviper VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a serious project ahead of you. Good luck with the installation

6. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome, absolutely awesome!
    That is just what I'm thinking of doing if I can ever pry any money from my tire fund.
    Please report back with pix, tips and impressions.
    Great choice in both cars and audio!

7. Hud

Hud Silver Member

Donate to this user:
    Donate money to this user
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So there I was.... Browsing the forum when I come across the thread "Focal to replace HK system". Curious I open the thread... Im pretty happy with the HK system but lets take a look at what some of the forum members are rockin'.

Ive had a decent system 10 years ago.. What is the rage about Focal.?.

I turn on the google and search the brand. Straight to the website I go.... First tab, top of the page... Elite... Ultima

$24,000 ..................................

I kind of feel the barf feeling working its way up but at the same time find myself extremely curious as to what $24,000 speakers sound like.

Im sure if I continued to search I would find some that are within the realm of possibility but I don't think I will continue the search. I do however think I will take a drive this weekend down to a focal installer to get an idea of how bad a$$ they are with no intention of purchasing anything.

Anything less than them making me feel like I am riding Falkor through a Pink Floyd infused universe will be a disappointment.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. HE77KAT

HE77KAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My speakers are at the back of the car just under the bumper... :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome stuff! Focal and even JL audio for that matter are mind blowing. Let us know who it comes along. All the best.

10. Hud

Hud Silver Member

Donate to this user:
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish there was a way to hear after you get it installed so we can get the full spectrum of its awesome-ness.

11. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another tip for the OP: ignore all the naysayers/ sarcasms you will likely encounter on this thread. Well done. Glad you could share this with us. Cheers!!

12. Hud

Hud Silver Member

Donate to this user:
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope you are not referring to me MuscleGarageLA. I truly do wish I could hear it. This equipment has to be awesome. Its just way, way, way out of my price range. Thats why I wanted to take a drive down to some installers. Want to check this stuff out first hand. Until this post, I hadn't really been exposed to Focal. Im definitely curious.

13. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually I was but I stand corrected. My bad..

Happy New Year.

14. lexluther

lexluther Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Focal tweets get really bright in an active setup even the engineers at Focal agree and recommend using their crossover in a passive system so be mindful of that in your tune based on if your going active or passive. The flax is less bright and the new KX designated K2 powers aren't as bright either but thats the new crossover they designed, If you go active they go back to being bright.

Also the JL FiX or TwK for that matter gave me noise when I tried to use it. JL labs has a board they can wire up quickly to problem solve and couldn't figure it out. If your trying to have a valet switch it won't work according to JL due to the fiber between the FiX and TwK. All the FiX did is allow for summing since the factory processing is horrible and allowed the use of the factory volume knob. If you don't care about the factory knob you get better signal pre-amp but you'll need to keep the center speaker and use the factory volume knob when reverse to get the tone and when using bluetooth. You'll have to turn it down when playing music as sound will come out of the center 3" and affect imaging. The factory amp is whats giving out tone and controlling the other smart radio functions not the head unit.

I went pre-amp and fully digital to decrease the noise floor.

I had thermo heat issues with the amps in the spare tire well I measured 147deg on a hot day on the inside trunk metal since the exhaust runs right next to it and thats with amps off. 2 squirrel cage fans didn't help either only insulating the complete trunk with soundskinz, elevating the amps and making the amp rack two tier to have the first tier as an insulating barrier helped.

The Challenger has some difficulties when upgrading and imaging isn't very good either due to the interior space and interior layout. You will see that you need very low powered rear fill to help in staging and imagery. I choose to simply treat it as concert experience or 2-way home with sound coming from in front and have less fill or push from around me. I have no rear fill..

Lastly for bass the trunk is very well insulated and the rear seat is as thick as a couch and will filter and muffle your bass. I got the front windshield flexing and I still felt I wasn't get full sounding bass and I'm not a bass head I was looking for percussion for rock and country. I had to use a different woofer Helix vs JL W6 as the Helix is concave and gave more cone area and its sensitivity was greater giving more output per watt. There is a plastic plug on the rear deck from inside the trunk where the factory 8" woofer goes on lower spec Challengers pull that thing out to get some sound through it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. LafnGas

LafnGas Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the input Lexluther.
    I have completed sound deadening the entire trunk and rear deck (top and bottom and fabricted a board to creata a void between the rear seat and thw trunk. This os where my amps will be hidden, it is accesible when you fold the seat down.
    I have fabricated mounts and installed 2 Focal 6×9's and 2 JBL C2-350x soeakers in the rear deck. Their will be 2 more of the JBL's in the dash. All for will be powered by a Focal FD 4.350 amp. The front doors will how the Focal K2 KRX3's and the rear doors, the Focal Polyglaf 165VR's both sets using Focals crossovers. In the trunk is the Focal 27KX . I am using a Focal FPP 1000 for the sub and a Focal FPS 2300AX, and a Focal FPS 4160 to power the 3 sets of Focal speakers.
    My processor is the JL Audio Fix86 with the Fix LSA4 and the DRC200. I eill be using 600 hertz caps on the 3.5" JL's and of course all high end wiring and connects..
    It should sound pretty good but may be difficult to hear when I step on the gas and let the 4.5L whippel supercharger blow into my 426 Hemi and roar down the road.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1