For Those Who Road Course the Hellcat...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by goingsolo2, May 18, 2016.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you change the brake fluid and use the stock brake pads? I am getting the car prepped to take it on a road course and want to know if there's a better brake fluid for the track that I can also drive on the street. Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Steve:

I've used Motul Dot 4 in the past....I now use Castrol SRF. Seems the Castrol has less thermal expansion than the Motul in my applications. YMMV. In any event.....definitely ditch the Dot 3....you'll be boiling that stuff in short order on the track.

Wayne

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are several threads about this but I'd change your brake fluid to either Motul or Castrol. Your stock pads should do fine your first few times out.

Consider checking your power steering fluid level. If it's near the full mark it may spew out the top some, making a bit of a mess. You should be able to take a little out or put something like a sock over the cap to absorb what may come out.

If your brake pads seem to fade (long but not spongy pedal) after some high speed stops let them cool down for a couple of laps and then go back at it. They need to be burnished and then they should return and be good to go.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated...how does the car drive on normal roads with the DOT 4? The same as stock?

5. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No difference what so ever.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just keep in mind.....Dot 4 fluid, in general, is hydrophilic. It wants to absorb water. So you should change it frequently as water contaminated fluid won't function like Dot 4 fluid and can cause damage to your brake components. I swap mine out every year....but I'm on the track a couple times a season and put maybe 2,000 miles on each vehicle. Other guys, who track on a regular basis will probably swap fluid a couple times a season.....seems to correspond with pad changes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How frequently would you suggest?

8. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How often will you track the car and how many miles will you put on it? Also, it probably makes a difference if you are in a very humid environment versus dry. I'm very happy with once a year, but I'm in Minnesota.....haven't had a single issue with my components. If you are tracking every weekend and putting a lot of miles on....I would probably change fluid with my pads. So, if you need two or three sets of new pads a year....I would consider new fluid with the new pads. You don't want to cut costs when it comes to brakes on a road course. You really need to have confidence that your pedal is going to feel the same and perform the same...lap after lap. And a spongy pedal or one that needs to be pressed to the floor......well....let's just say it takes away the enjoyment of driving on the track:)

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  9. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You've been very helpful and I thank you for that! I will be racing it maybe 2-3 times per summer. I drive only on weekends and I live in NY on Long Island. I'll put maybe 1,000-2,000 miles a year on it.

10. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would say.....with the Castrol SRF....change it once a year and call it good. But know I'm not a mechanic or a pro driver. Just some things I've experienced the last several years of doing HPDE days and other driving schools.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good stuff to know. Haven't even thought of changing mine yet.

12. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd say take your car to the track and run it and quit worrying about the brakes, the car has bad ass brakes, the fluid in my car has been fine and the pads as well. Make some mods after the track day to see a difference for the next run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I changed the pads have not done the fluid, mine still stops without problems. The track I frequent may not be so demanding on the brakes due to cool down periods on the straights.

14. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He is spot on with the PS fluid. After taking some out last year I saw little or no fluid leak on my first outing this year.

15. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree, change the fluid to DOT 4 and stock pads work fine. It's important to take the cool down lap every session so as not to damage your rotors. I learned the hard way - had to replace 4 rotors.

• Useful Useful x 1