? For Those Who Warrantied Paint Issues

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by adub, Aug 12, 2015.

1. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Car was built in March, I took delivery on Mar 27th. I know this problem is new because I regularly wash and detail it. About 2800 miles. The light caught it just right today and I saw a smudge on the fender, which caught my attention because there was no reason for a smudge to be there. Drivers fender 3/4 of the way to the windshield along the hood seam. It looks like the clear is bubbling up in small bubbles. This entire area is about 2.5"

I know there was no shortage of complaints about paint quality. Id like to hear from those who were able to get their fixed under warranty. Did you use a Dodge dealer or an SRT certified dealer? The dealer I purchased from is not local.

Thanks

AW

Attached Files:

2. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you could contact dodge I called they yesterday and talked to a lady it was about a survey I was filling out and lost connection then it wouldn't let me open page back up so she took my concern over the phone I also had a finger print and part of palm print on my can under clearcoat very hard to see you have to be just right angle to even see it . And was just wanting them to be inspected closer before clearcoat was put on buy she said take to dealer and they would take care of it. You should be able to take to any SRT dodge dealer and they should help. They sent me another survey by email today I filled it out lots question about everything on the car into detail they left nothing out very lengthy long time to fill out but I did list the good the bad and things to improve like the paint . But you should be able to go to your close dealer to turn in for paint fix or just call dodge they answered my question and sent another survey that was a 3rd party survey

3. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My local dealer said I have to go to an FCA dealer with a body (local doesnt have one). They will do a digital image and submit a claim with FCA. Going to try and find time today to go to another dealer

4. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well hope you don't have to travel far but I'm sure they will fix and you will be happy. I don't have one close to me either I don't think there are many around wish you didnt have to go through dodge most dealers don't do body work looks like they would accept a good body shop close to you. Nothing close to me

5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just playing devils advocate here, but if it's that hard to see why don't you just leave it alone? The only reason I ask is the fix may be worse than the flaw. It may come out perfect but with paint issues it's sort of a roll of the dice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. chuck

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol what I seem on it was terrible bubbles it is real bad you can see it very clearly my hand print not very noticeable I'm going to live with it but somebody put there hand on my car before it was dry its under clearcoat but I found mine doing my own detail work waxing it . You got to get in the right angle to see it but that car other guys got is very bad if mine was like his I would be there in a heartbeat. Just hope other people's car dont do this he has had his car awhile this didnt look like it did when he got his car it got worse longer he had it still getting worse

• Like Like x 1
  7. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [
    I am kinda with you as the idea of a re-paint sends chills down my spine...
    I know body shop work has come a long way but a re-paint can start looking bad years down the road.
    I would push the issue as fas as I could with FCA and I would be very upset but personally it would need to be very bad before I let someone local take sand paper to my original finish as I agree " the fix may be worse than the flaw"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree. I'm going to let it ride for a few weeks and see if it gets worse

9. chuck

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with everybody about the part of fixing a small part. This is very risky yes I have had small things repaired on cars and yes I have had issues with it. But this will not get better only get worse like I think you stated I would think when weather gets too bad to drive it. I don't know where you live but I would not agree to just touch up a small part I would stand hard for a whole repaint of the car if these bubbles continue to come up. It's a new car I would want the whole car reprinted I believe you would be satisfied if they can do a great job I wouldn't just let anybody do this.. I would go to a good body shop maby more than one let them look at it if they think a total paint job needed I would like something in writing from them that would be good to have 2or three body shops opinion on this. I know everytime you get in your car you are going to look at this take pictures as time goes on and compare to see if its getting worse and spreading that seems to be the case now its getting worse just do some leg work and ask good paint shops about this get there advice this should be free and just cost you time but statement from good body people will help you and also I think it will give you peace of mind I hate this for you. I have some small issues with my paint also every time I wax my car I find a small defect in paint. I have had my car only 2 months and dont drive it but about 4 times a month but after each time I wash and wax myself by hand. If this is done by you I'm sure you will find other issues also. I'm not getting any thing done to my car but I do find several small defects in paint and I'm looking close my car is pitch black. If you just looking at it you can't see these things but I find after I cover every inch of my car when I detail it. Just keep pictures and watch it take pictures weekly if you can compare them but take to good paint people and ask for there advice if they been doing this they will give good advice on this. This is your car your call and everthing everybody has said is correct painting a small portion you will be able to see years from now I have had this happen as well. I even had a shop paint 3 times first 2 times I found problems I raised so much hell they did paint the whole truck it was black also. Good luck with this hope it doesn't get worse but In most cases think it will get worse just best for the whole car to paint

10. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The dealer doesn't have to have a body shop, How it works is FCA approves the warranty claim after digital imaging and cuts a check for the repair amount they think it costs. The dealer takes that and sends the check to the body shop they work with or if your body shop of your choice will do it for that price then that works also.

11. chuck

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would just watch it make your case get your opinion from good paint shops body shops if they think a whole car paint is needed there opinion you might be able to get this done you might need to wait to see if its getting worse but everybody right a small spot will not work this is a bad deal for you but if there are more issues it might help you look very close at your car this is going to be a tough desesion for you dang well you got to do what you want might not be the best but it seems lose and lose is this the hood I seem picture the other day but dont remember or was it close to windshield seems like not on hood above it sorry that's bad cant give anymore input on this its left up to you sorry bro

12. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I see it as a lose lose for me. Obviously its a contaminant in the paint/clear that is surfacing has the paint hardens from UV/heat/time. Its a small area right now on fender next to hood seam near windshield. Im going to watch it for a few weeks and see if its isolated or not, then decide what to do

13. chuck

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Compare pictures this will help you I'm sure every time you get in car you look at it and you are right about the paint hope the best turn out for you