For those who will install the skip shift eliminator on their M6.............

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by bolivarshagnasty, Sep 11, 2015.

1. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Received the package from Speedlogix a few days ago and decided to install today. Simple plug and play IF you are a trained contortionist. Didn't have the luxury of a lift so got the car in the air with jackstands. The Speedlogix instructions tell you to look just in front of the transmission crossmember (drivers side) and up near the top of the transmission. Instructions clearly state that it is the plug in at the TOP. Well I found plugging in the SSE in that location did NOT work. Took out reverse when I lowered the car. Instructions SHOULD read plug in located just in front of the transmission crossmember on drivers side and LOWER of the two plug ins.
    Had to jack the car back up and change where I had plugged them in. Test drove and everything fine now. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I'm not sure if the SSE from Speedlogix has multiple applications, and therefore the instructions are different because of that. Instructions not good for a Challenger Hellcat.

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    bolivar,
    Went in for the first oil change at my dealer. Bought the same thing from SL.
    I took it apart, its a 250 ohm resistor that fools the ECU. Even though it plugs "in line, or in series" with the with the existing harness, there is nothing that goes to the tranny. There are no electrical pins that go there. It is blank.
    The wiring harness end has a resistor that goes from one pin to the other. It is a two wire harness so the resistor goes from one pin to the other.

Here is the rub. The reverse lockout solenoid, and the skip shift solenoid are the same. My directions stated to make sure you plug it into the forward solenoid upper of the tranny mount. They mounted it in the wrong position, had no reverse. I jacked the car up, and took me 5 minutes to undo and redo it properly. It works great,
    I don't understand why manufacturers do this. They say fuel economy, but if I pull out and someone is closing fast, and I don't reach the RPM limit to disengage skip shift I find that dangerous.
    Had no problems since, and I can go from 1rst to 2nd at any rpm I want.
    All I have to offer,
    L J

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The skip shift is a political tool to allow the manufacturer to claim a better EPA mileage number and supports the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements. Considering how easy it is to by pass... I am fine with the whole idea. Allows them to build the car I want and meet their requirements. I spend some change and spend a couple of minutes installing and now everyone is happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MoparGuy1

MoparGuy1 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So do you also lose your reverse lockout?

5. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, the only thing this affects is the solenoid that prevents shifting into 2nd gear (pushes you into the 4th gear gate).

I mean really, it is minutes to install (if you have access to the lift), plug and play. If you decide you don't like it... you would spend more to take the wife to dinner than this item costs, just take it off.

I have run a skip shift eliminator on two Challengers and my Camaro SS. In the case of the SS and Hellcat, I never even drove the car without the skip shift eliminator installed. (Dealer did installed it before I picked the car up).

But I did drive the R/T (Avatar) with out the eliminator and I hated it when it activated and dumped me into 4th.